• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Cars

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
It seems we're overdue for a thread discussing classic cars. Let's be truly indulgent here and assume that you were able to have a stable of classic cars. In my life-long experience of classic cars, I've noticed that few people who have them have just one. Which cars would you choose for your stable. Of course, to any SF veteran, I'm highly predictable: 1932 Packard Twin-Six Dietrich Convertible Victoria
twin_six.jpg
This was my grandfather's car as it appeared in Automobile Quarterly's book on Packard. It's a one-of-a-kind and its book-value is listed as "inestimable." He sold it for enough to retire on and took the grey Packard shown later in the thread as partial payment.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, why not pass the time on this brisk spring morning in Minsk by building a classic car? Good idea, Red! This is different from my accumulated little stable of otherwise quirky cars.

I went to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance almost every year from 1965 through 1991. When my age and budget finally allowed it, I participated concurrently at the Monterey Historic Races in 1976,1977, and 1978. The crowds finally caused me to throw-in the towel.

The early years of sparsely attended "˜secret club' type events gave way to the crush of humanity that didn't know a Bentley from a Borgward. These days my wife and I don't even go home to California in August. We remain on the patio in Cargese. I think we've been back for the Monterey weekend four times since 1991.

Turn me loose with an unlimited checkbook and I would order two late-1930s Delahaye Type 165 chassis supplied with the V-12 engine. One chassis would be a short wheelbase; the other would be a long wheelbase.

When Delahaye had the chassis ready, I would have them send the swb to Chapron for a lithe coupe body to be fitted. The lwb would go to Figoni and Falaschi for them to design an endless roadster similar to what they made for the New York World's Fair in 1939 and pictured below.

Now it's time to go to the office in an ordinary car! Thanks again for the fantasia, Red.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I don't know why so many people who don't even like autos of a certain age would pay a fair amount of money for these shows. Besides, they are all dressed badly.
devil.gif
I love the coachbuilders. Perhaps something by Jacques Saoutchik.
1695-3.jpg
And also a Talbot-Lago TK150:
talbot-lago-1937-2.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shall go ahead and be the crass one here, but I do not care!
smile.gif
Starting with the recent examples (what isa classic car, anyway?) Lancia Stratos. Pretty much first purpose built rally car. Lancia Integrale Evoluzione Alfa-Romeo 2900MM Corsa Spider And something rather different, the first real Japanese exotic, Toyota 2000 GT. Jaguar XK120 P.s. I would not mind a SL gullwing, hint hint
smile.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Err... I did not notice that several people put the XK120 on their list over on the 4-door thread. Just read it for the first time in days
blush.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I actually feel the Volvo 1800 to possess a certain chic.

I agree

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I actually feel the Volvo 1800 to possess a certain chic.
I've never met anyone who would disagree with that. From my grandfather's stable, now belonging to my brother (at the wheel), the '33 Packard Twelve Convertible Coupe Roadster. It's currently in the shop having some work done, including a new paint job and new woodgraining to the dash and upper door panels.
packard.jpg

chrysalid

Reaction score
cars.jpg

from top to bottom:
Ford RS200 - imo the most iconic of the group b rally cars, ugly as sin but fast as...

Jensen Interceptor - affordable 70's beast, built not too far from where i live (midlands massive!), wraparound back window a thing to behold.

Studebaker Avanti - i like loads of american classics, but this space age raymond loewy designed car is the best. rear light clusters are both original and timeless.

Lancia Fulvia - again quite cheap,, a bit brittle, but in that lovely italian way.

BMW 3.0 CSL - the batmobile, race proven, ott and all good

Honda S800 - always liked the mg midget, and the family used to own a triumph herald, honda distilled that sort of car and made it better.

Porsche 914 - nice rear, compact, not as self conciously cool as an old 911, and pretty rare.

Zagato bodied Aston Martin DB4 GT - if money really was no object then this is probably my all time favourite - not quite as plebby as some of my other choices...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads