• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see you you say that. We've been listening to the audiobook on some road trips after having watched the show...we just made it to the *just* before the end of S1 of the show
Paused it after Jules got suited up and the doors to the silo are about to open--were almost at our destination and figured we'd save the "new" part of the story for our next long drive

While I have the benefit of knowing what happens, I found the book to be FAR less subtle than the show. I'm not going to say you couldn't make pretty good guesses about what was going on in the show, but in the book a lot of things were basically spelled out for you. Things that might have been subtle foreshadowing on TV just seemed obvious--like they'd repeat it a second time and draw extra attention to it just to make sure you didn't miss the clue. If anything, the characters are figuring it out AFTER the reader.

Curious to see @patrick_b's take as I believe he also watched the show first and then went all the way through the book series via audiobook. Unfortunately I can't yet comment on the second half of book 1, but honestly I think the TV writers improved the narrative structure. Some of the elements they added helped keep the mystery alive and made it more compelling (but again, I don't yet know how the book ends)

I made it through book 1 and half way through the second. Agreed that the show did a great job at creating suspense and you lose that in the book (audio for me as well). For it I think it was because I've already watched the series. The second half of Book 1 is very good and I didn't have the benefit of knowing the story ahead of time. I enjoyed it. Wasn't predictable and kept my interest. I'm sure season 2 will be the second half of Book 1. You could even get a third season out of Book 1.

Book 2 kind of lost me. It details the before-time, how the Silo's were built and why. It's a compelling story but I really wanted to continue learning about the characters from the series/Book 1. Half way through and it was still ancient history of the Silo and I eventually lost interest. I'd have preferred a continuation of Book 1 with flashbacks to tell the origin story. In the author's defense, that may be the 3rd book but I never got that far.

Knowing Julia's fate still has me eager for a season 2. Loved her character and in typical SF theme, I loved the way the costume department dressed her before she wore the uniform. Cool aged, worn sweaters and perfectly cuffed fatigue-like trousers with a great fit. They nailed it IMO! Rebecca Ferguson eve looked good in an industrial jumpsuit.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the first couple of episodes of Dead Boy Detective Agency; it's not bad, actually. Funnier than I expected.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watched the first two episodes of Fallout last night. Entertaining so far but as usual I doubt I'll commit to any subsequent season.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooooh.....Holliday Grainger?
I haven't heard of this show. I've been waiting patiently for CB Strike's next season.
Yup, it's her. Also Ben Miles and Ron Perlman, who are both excellent, as usual. Definitely worth watching, if you have Peacock.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, it's her. Also Ben Miles and Ron Perlman, who are both excellent, as usual. Definitely worth watching, if you have Peacock.
This is how the decline begins I'm guessing...

I just looked it up, and I've apparently watched both seasons already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads