• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

bsarosi

Reaction score
Can somebody (or somebodies) school me to the various fit nuances of the below lasts? Mostly curious to see how they might compare to the usual Carmina (Rain, Simpson) and EB (804, 946, 062) suspects:

Hawksbill (Argentum)
Round (Aeris & Argentum)
Soft Square (Argentum)
Chisel 2 (Argentum)

For what it's worth, I take a 7.5 in both Rain and 062 lasts, with probably just a tiny bit of excess space there.

Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Based on my experiences with AM, I’d recommend size 8 in Hawksbill and Soft Square for you, 7.5 in Round, and it depends for Chisel 2 - if you like a looser fit, go with 8. Otherwise, go with 7.5 for a snugger fit. Chisel 2 is a little more voluminous compared to Soft Square in the toe box hence some ppl size down .5 whereas others wear the same size...just depends on how you prefer your shoes to fit.

As a reference, I wear 8.5 in Rain, 9 in Simpson, 8.5 in 946 and 062, and 8 in 804. I wear 9 in soft square, 9 in hawksbill, 8.5 in chisel 2, and 8.5 in round. As as an aside, I prefer a slightly looser fit.

I’ll add that Hawksbill has a banana shape so it may not fit everyone’s feet.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
I’ve been drooling over his Instagram page for a long time! Figured I’ll treat myself on next Christmas with a pair, but I guess no luck! Lasts are way too narrow for me! According to his website measurement method, I’m size 10.5-11 length and size 13f width probably could make size 12f work, but shoes are a bit too expensive to “make do”. Such a shame! Such beautiful shoes! Guess I’m going back to drooling over his Instagram!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been drooling over his Instagram page for a long time! Figured I’ll treat myself on next Christmas with a pair, but I guess no luck! Lasts are way too narrow for me! According to his website measurement method, I’m size 10.5-11 length and size 13f width probably could make size 12f work, but shoes are a bit too expensive to “make do”. Such a shame! Such beautiful shoes! Guess I’m going back to drooling over his Instagram!

Seems like you need to splurge on
His made to measure service Argentum handwelted.

Like me. I’ve been putting it off for 3 years, and the prices keep climbing steadily upward...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on my experiences with AM, I’d recommend size 8 in Hawksbill and Soft Square for you, 7.5 in Round, and it depends for Chisel 2 - if you like a looser fit, go with 8. Otherwise, go with 7.5 for a snugger fit. Chisel 2 is a little more voluminous compared to Soft Square in the toe box hence some ppl size down .5 whereas others wear the same size...just depends on how you prefer your shoes to fit.

As a reference, I wear 8.5 in Rain, 9 in Simpson, 8.5 in 946 and 062, and 8 in 804. I wear 9 in soft square, 9 in hawksbill, 8.5 in chisel 2, and 8.5 in round. As as an aside, I prefer a slightly looser fit.

I’ll add that Hawksbill has a banana shape so it may not fit everyone’s feet.
Very useful information. Thanks much!

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Antonio offer a re-crafting service for his shoes? And what does he charge for it?

spencert

Reaction score
Does Antonio offer a re-crafting service for his shoes? And what does he charge for it?
Yes, see reply from Angela belowwhen I asked previously:

A resoling for Argentum costs about 168 euro and includes a complete rebuilding starting from the welt.not only the sole but welt, sole and heel by new.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
This winter in tk maxx (discount store) I snagged 2 pairs of trickers and 3 pairs of loake boots. All good year welted, and to be fair, quality wise I can't see anything wrong with them... Fit wise I could do better, but for half price in willing to forgive that... As far as I understand Antonio test shoes is actual shoes, just good year welted, his cheapest lineup? As far as I could understand from last 100pages, his good year welted shoes are similar quality to Carmina/c&j/trickers, just looks waaay better and has a beveled waist.
So far coming from 40£-60£ shoes, loakes and trickers seems like top of the world and paying 1000£ for a hand welted shoe while I don't feel the difference, would be just a waste.

Now the question is, could i get his good year welted "test shoe" on a reasonably personalised last, without paying 1000eu?

And second question. Does he does trunk shows in England?

4r36

Reaction score
Hi Guys!!!

A great thread for a great shoemaker.

I am curious to know your opinion about a stylistic choice. I pose the question here as I take the specific example of Meccariello's Equities model. Do you like the broguing on the sole captoe, or do you think it clashes with the fine swan-neck stitching? Here a picture:

Equities.jpg

For my part, I like the model. Yet I have started wondering whether that brogue, all alone there, makes one feel as if there is either something missing or in excess...In this respect, I post another picture, courtesy of thunder_march, in which the model is the same, but it has a perforation in the facing that might improve the stylistic balance.

26151484_218542232022626_7144017518040973312_n(1).jpg

Of course, we are speaking of details and and the shoe is stunning in either case!

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!!!

I am curious to know your opinion about a stylistic choice. I pose the question here as I take the specific example of Meccariello's Equities model. Do you like the broguing on the sole captoe, or do you think it clashes with the fine swan-neck stitching? Here a picture:

View attachment 1140769

For my part, I like the model. Yet I have started wondering whether that brogue, all alone there, makes one feel as if there is either something missing or in excess...In this respect, I post another picture, courtesy of thunder_march, in which the model is the same, but it has a perforation in the facing that might improve the stylistic balance.

View attachment 1140770

Of course, we are speaking of details and and the shoe is stunning in either case!
Those are f$%&* great. The brouge on the captoe is in harmony with the small brouging on the other part of the shoe. You've made an excellent purchase.
I don't need any more shoes but AM will be the next purchase when the time comes. I see AM replacing my Lobbs and EGs. Keeping my Bonafe and Vass.

Nikjoh094

Reaction score
Hi Guys!!!

View attachment 1140769

View attachment 1140770

Below i have shared some picture from the very same picture you referred to from his website. Although in very terrible setting and lighting, but anyways feels and looks very good IRL.

IMG_0149.jpg

Throw in another image with a bonus shoe i had on my phone (AM Symposio Tassel Loafer)
IMG_0145.jpg

CmonArsenal

Reaction score
Below i have shared some picture from the very same picture you referred to from his website. Although in very terrible setting and lighting, but anyways feels and looks very good IRL.

View attachment 1142173

Throw in another image with a bonus shoe i had on my phone (AM Symposio Tassel Loafer)
View attachment 1142174

How is the sizing for the Simposio tassel loafers? Can you reference to C&J or Carmina? Thanks for posting - they look incredible.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the sizing for the Simposio tassel loafers? Can you reference to C&J or Carmina? Thanks for posting - they look incredible.
It's in fact a very nice pair of loafer, and the suede is premium quality, I bought it but had to return it because of the fit though. My issue is with instep, the product itself is best for its pricing

Nikjoh094

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments!

It is a narrow fit. Unfortunately, I do not have any good reference points from carmina nor C&J. I sit on a pair of C&J Brecon which is a tad wider. Same goes for a Vass F-last i have.

The fit is very close to the other AM I posted which is on their equites II last.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
Could someone school me on price for MTM? Is it MTO price + test shoe price or MTO price + last modification charge + test shoe price?

So far I admit im just a tire kicker with most expensive shoes being 200£ trickers from tk maxx, but I'd really like to place an order around next Christmas....

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofiacaleb7449