• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Would anybody be interested in comfort indy boot LS did a few years back.

http://leathersoul.com/2011/03/13/alden-shoes-the-comfort-indy-lsw-lsbh/

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it still possible to get an Alden GMTO going?

get a dozen or more people together and approach Epaulet, Leffot, or either the DC or NY Alden shops. Assuming it's not an exotic shell makeup you're after, you might have some luck.

What did you have in mind?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

get a dozen or more people together and approach Epaulet, Leffot, or either the DC or NY Alden shops. Assuming it's not an exotic shell makeup you're after, you might have some luck.

What did you have in mind?

It's a variation of a relatively common boot, but with a combination of features that I believe does not exist as of now:

Straight tip captoe boot
Black shell
Barrie last
Exposed eyelets (with or without speed hooks)
Double leather sole (or commando)
Stitched horizontal line across side of boot (like the jcrew pct boot)
360 or 270 flat welt

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

It's a variation of a relatively common boot, but with a combination of features that I believe does not exist as of now:

Straight tip captoe boot
Black shell
Barrie last
360 or 270 flat welt

An almost identical boot, sans the Indy side stitch exists in the form of the 4075H stocked by Alden SF.

http://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=154&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action=

-Mike

stevefok

Reaction score
Missing the exposed eyelets in addition to the side stitch.

frankly speaking, its gonna be really difficult if not impossible for you to have any retailer makes this boot for you. Given that black shell is the least popular shell color and the majority nowadays usually choose grant last for the cap toe boot.

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frankly speaking, its gonna be really difficult if not impossible for you to have any retailer makes this boot for you. Given that black shell is the least popular shell color and the majority nowadays usually choose grant last for the cap toe boot.

I recognize that black shell is the least popular, and that there are three existing models that are very close to this boot (the one from Alden SF and Alden of Carmel, which have everything but the side stitch and the exposed eyelets + the one from TSM, which has the eyelets, but is not on the Barrie last). As such, I would think the challenge wouldn't be getting a retailer to make this boot; rather the challenge will be getting 12 or more people to commit to buying it.

BUT, if anyone here has been holding off buying a black shell boot because they have not been able to find the perfect one (like me), here is your chance. We can make the perfect black shell boot (imho of course).

Once again here is what I am proposing:

Straight tip captoe boot
Black shell
Barrie last
360 or 270 flat welt

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I think you will be equally challenged to get a retailer to make it as almost all already carry the 4065 or 4075. Most do not have infinite storage or floor space to take on additional models. I have found these considerations play a much bigger role than one may expect as shelf space can be of a premium at many shops.

I guess if I am trying to be more constructive, find a retailer that doesn't already stock one of those models and see if they are interested in adding your design modifications to their lineup. It would help if you have a longstanding relationship with them or can find someone interested enough to pitch it without changes...

I already have a 4065 in production in my size, so I am out of this one. I also would want a Commando as I like that on boots.

-Mike

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will be equally challenged to get a retailer to make it as almost all already carry the 4065 or 4075. Most do not have infinite storage or floor space to take on additional models. I have found these considerations play a much bigger role than one may expect as shelf space can be of a premium at many shops.

I guess if I am trying to be more constructive, find a retailer that doesn't already stock one of those models and see if they are interested in adding your design modifications to their lineup.

-Mike

good to know. so I guess i will have to give up on the indy side stitch, and decide which is more important to me - the exposed eyelets (4065) or Barrie last (4075)....hmmmm

....or.....what if (hypothetically) I was willing to order 12 for myself, would Adlen make me, an individual consumer, 12 pairs?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it my imagination or does the cap take up a bigger percentage of the vamp on the 4075 vs the 4065? It seems like the cap line is closer to the laces on the 4075.

schmallo15

Reaction score

good to know.  so I guess i will have to give up on the indy side stitch, and decide which is more important to me - the exposed eyelets (4065) or Barrie last (4075)....hmmmm

....or.....what if (hypothetically) I was willing to order 12 for myself, would Adlen make me, an individual consumer, 12 pairs?

2 comments:

1. If you're not set on a cap toe and are ok with a perforated cap toe, the shoe mart has a very similar model (without horizontal stitching).

2. If you don't have to have an Alden boot (I realize this is the Alden MTO thread), you could get an individual MTO from Enzo Bonafe. They could probably accommodate most, if not all of your requests.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 comments:

1. If you're not set on a cap toe and are ok with a perforated cap toe, the shoe mart has a very similar model (without horizontal stitching).

2. If you don't have to have an Alden boot (I realize this is the Alden MTO thread), you could get an individual MTO from Enzo Bonafe. They could probably accommodate most, if not all of your requests.

Shoe Mart has a black shell perforated cap toe on the Barrie last?

Also, wouldn't an MTO from Enzo cost significantly more?

schmallo15

Reaction score

Shoe Mart has a black shell perforated cap toe on the Barrie last?

Also, wouldn't an MTO from Enzo cost significantly more?

Sorry. I thought I read (must have been in the main Alden thread) that you were ok with Grant last as well. TSM version is on Grant.

Frans Boone has Grant lasted captoe with exposed eyelets but I don't think anyone makes the exact model you're looking for.

Regarding Enzo, an Enzo individual MTO would be more expensive, probably come in at about USD1K (depnding on current FX rates) but if you can get 2 others interested, you could go the gMTO route which gets rid of the 15% MTO upcharge. Check with Skoaktiebolaget if you're interested.

The other option is to get the SF model and convert them to exposed eyelets. You could see if Mack Sublime or Randy the Cobbler are able to add black eyelets. But let's say it works out. You pay 706 for the boot, another 15-20 to ship directly to Mack or Randy, another 40-50 to do the conversion (don't know exactly how much they charge), and another 15-20 to ship back to you. All in you're looking at ~800 bucks which is probably 50-100 cheaper than the Enzo gMTO option.

Personally, I really like the Frans Boone model and find the Grant last to be a perfect mix between casual and formal. Plus, I also like the size of the toe cap more than the barrie model. Best of luck with your decision!

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I thought I read (must have been in the main Alden thread) that you were ok with Grant last as well. TSM version is on Grant.

Frans Boone has Grant lasted captoe with exposed eyelets but I don't think anyone makes the exact model you're looking for.

Regarding Enzo, an Enzo individual MTO would be more expensive, probably come in at about USD1K (depnding on current FX rates) but if you can get 2 others interested, you could go the gMTO route which gets rid of the 15% MTO upcharge. Check with Skoaktiebolaget if you're interested.

The other option is to get the SF model and convert them to exposed eyelets. You could see if Mack Sublime or Randy the Cobbler are able to add black eyelets. But let's say it works out. You pay 706 for the boot, another 15-20 to ship directly to Mack or Randy, another 40-50 to do the conversion (don't know exactly how much they charge), and another 15-20 to ship back to you. All in you're looking at ~800 bucks which is probably 50-100 cheaper than the Enzo gMTO option.

Personally, I really like the Frans Boone model and find the Grant last to be a perfect mix between casual and formal. Plus, I also like the size of the toe cap more than the barrie model. Best of luck with your decision!

hey thanks for all the info. If i was going to go Grant last, I could get straight tip cap toe with exposed eyelets from TSM. If I'm willing to forgo the eyelets, I can get straight tip on Barrie last from Alden SF and Alden of Carmel. Or I can explore Enzo as per your idea. Decisions decisions....
thanks again

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member