• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fine Pair of Shoes x Alfred Sargent MTO Thread

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything above.

I WILL buy the BENSON MTO.

I do not like any sort of balmoral boots in general, so I have no interest in theMILLER.

If possible, a count of how many pair has been confirmed would be tremendously helpful for all prospective buyers.

I would like a group order of a medallion wholecut, in dark shell cordovan. An example would be this:
http://alfredsargent.co.uk/handgrade-range/milton/

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not like any sort of balmoral boots in general, so I have no interest in theMILLER.
If possible, a count of how many pair has been confirmed would be tremendously helpful for all prospective buyers.
I would like a group order of a medallion wholecut, in dark shell cordovan. An example would be this:

OK - should I set up a page for AS Hurst (Whole cut with medallion on the AS99 last) in Horween Cognac Cordovan then?

Harrydog

Reaction score

Yes, we need a minimum of six pairs in the same style, colour and leather type. I will make sure I update the count on this thread so you can see how many are left to go. Most importantly is that we are very careful with your money. This is going to take a bit of care and attention, but I'm sure we can get it going.

I would think you would simply generate a receipt/credit and then apply it to the order when the order is placed. If the order does not occur, the buyer could have the amount refunded to their credit card or applied to an instock purchase if they wish.

I am ready to place the order, but would love to have a few more people jump in so we can be half way to the 6 pair minimum. You could then note that on your website which might help draw in the last few orders.

I am not wed to the shell/suede. I think the dark oakcalf/suede combo looks great. Doing it up in shell is pretty unique and particularly good value. I have a black captoe/ grey suede balmoral boot, and the brown boot would be a nice addition.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This would be very helpful for me to make up my mind.
I'm a bit on the fence with the Benson MTO.
Knowing how many orders there are would help force my decision.

Harrydog

Reaction score

I am considering... But definitely will take part (if) only when the production order will be at start. I am poor student )))) and can't throw away my money for half a year)))) 
And that colours are not my favorite.But will se what other participants have to say)))

There is a rainbow of colours of Miller on AS facebook page and proposed one isn't the best I think.
http://www.facebook.com/AlfredSargent

So lets see

I assume these are the examples you are referencing:

Some interesting combinations, but getting agreement on six orders will be a challenge. I think some combination of brown would be pretty mainstream and garner more support, but I may be wrong. Let's leave tan/green or light blue/navy for an individual order through AS Handgrade.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Harrydog, do you have a "normal" width? I'm interested in the boot but I'm unsure if I should size down one or just a half. Based in the AS models available on the 724 last, it seems I would need to size down half and go with the "slim" fitting

For reference, I go tts in C&J 337 last and size down a half in the 348

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree this would be best, though whoever leads should check with AS and AFPS to see if we all need to go along with the same material. Perhaps that's not necessary.

Read about your Shannon boot, when is it scheduled to arrive? Also, I think this Miller boot is different enough to justify both

:slayer:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, suggestion totally welcomed - 724 is true to size in line with 99 for fit and length.

How would you compare it to C&J 337, 341, and 348? Typically size down 1/2 size in AS?

Excuse the multiple post-hard to multiquote on cell phone

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Read about your Shannon boot, when is it scheduled to arrive? Also, I think this Miller boot is different enough to justify both
:slayer:

December. I'm planning to order the EG Oundle and G&G Canterbury soon, however, so I'm a bit less interested in the Benson and Miller. I'm up for hearing what other options members are interested in though.

Harrydog

Reaction score

Harrydog, do you have a "normal" width? I'm interested in the boot but I'm unsure if I should size down one or just a half. Based in the AS models available on the 724 last, it seems I would need to size down half and go with the "slim" fitting
For reference, I go tts in C&J 337 last and size down a half in the 348

I would use your 337 size and perhaps try the slim fit.

I am a normal width 10.5D US. I tend to be a UK 9.5 in most everything I have, though I like a very snug fit. I went with a UK9 in Lobb 8000/7000.

I have definitely found the 724 to be pretty roomy width wise in the F(normal) width. I do not think I would want to size down and keep the F. I will try a 9.5E (slim).

I know this might seem sacrilegious, but I find outsole measurements (particularly heel to toe) a pretty good indication of how the shoe will fit. If the shoe has a pretty standard width welt, I end up with a pretty narrow range of lengths across a variety of shoes in my collection. That is how I ordered the 724 in the 9.5 and it was the right choice. AFPS gives sole dimensions for most of the lasts.

Width to me is far more flexible (I have EG in both D and E and can hardly tell the difference.) The fact that the Miller boot has basically a one piece, wholecut-like vamp means it would stretch and fit nicely to my foot. So I will try the slim fitting.

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would you compare it to C&J 337, 341, and 348? Typically size down 1/2 size in AS?
Excuse the multiple post-hard to multiquote on cell phone

We can help here - let us have your feet length and width measurements and we can assist you as we have internal measurements of the shoes in question. Also, we have chosen two AS lasts AS99 & AS724 that have the flexibility to choose either UK E/US C (slim) or UK F/ US D (Medium) width as well as your size. Typically we suggest 1/2 size down from US to UK.

Contact us using [email protected] for sizing.

Current count for AS Miller = 0

Current count for AS Benson = 0

Who's going to be the first pioneer?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the only hesitation I have is that I have the C&J Somerville which is a brown bal boot. I am also not too much of a fan of suede.
So far AFPoS has two MTO set up (Exclusive range quality):
AS Miller Balmoral Boot using cognac shell cordovan with contrasting shaft using expresso suede (724 last)
AS Benson monkstrap using dark cognac shell cordovan (99 last)

Quick question re: the AS Benson monkstrap in dark cognac shell. I may have missed it but what color sole edge and welt was decided on? I think a light antique would be a stellar contrast if that hasn't been decided.

Also, any agreement as to leather interior liner? In maybe a dark burgundy or navy? Might be a nice further unique differentiating feature.

Last edited:

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question re: the AS Benson monkstrap in dark cognac shell. I may have missed it but what color sole edge and welt was decided on? I think a light antique would be a stellar contrast if that hasn't been decided.
Also, any agreement as to leather interior liner? In maybe a dark burgundy or navy? Might be a nice further unique differentiating feature.

Great thoughts on welt colour and interior colour - typically mto at this level are made with soft cream leather and would compliment Cognac Cordovan very well. Light antique would suit with a crimped edge detail.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoffedwin291