• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which tuxedo should I purchase for my wedding?

jiibarra

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a tuxedo for my wedding and found two that I really like.

A slim fit peak lapel one from Suit Supply for $698 and trim fit notch lapel one from Corneliani which I was able to negotiate down to $600. Obviously the Corneliani suit is higher quality and I’d be paying less for it, but it has notch lapels which are looked down upon here. I honestly don’t mind them at all and I prefer trim fit suit.

Corneliani:

Suit Supply:

What are your opinions on both of these? I’m leaning towards the Corneliani but I’d like some more opinions.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, questions like this are hard to answer without photos because fit is really important. A SuitSupply tux might look better on you than a Brioni if it fits better.
After fit comes styling. Not a fan of notch lapels for a tuxedo. If they both fit you equally well (big if) then go for the SuitSupply.
"Quality" is overrated.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree that for a tux, peak lapel looks better. I also agree that fit is important but
if I'm not mistaken, if the SS doesn't fit well you can return or have it tailored for free.
Its a VBC 110's fabric which is nice.

Corneliani has quite a few different levels of quality. I wouldn't assume that the Corneliani
is superior quality to the SS especially at that price point. The retail price is meaningless. They mark
products up due to the name.
I definitely wouldn't spend that money on what is pictured on the ebay link you provided.

If it were me I would definitely go with the SS.

rjc149

Reaction score
I’m no authority on formalwear but it’s my understanding that notched lapels on a tuxedo/dinner jacket is actually a faux pas. Someone can dispute that, but to be traditional you definitely want to go with peaked or shawl lapels.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SS.

jiibarra

Reaction score

What do you think about these shoes that I plan on wearing? They’re from Acme Shoemaker and they’re in Grey Black Patina. I also might add some black satin tuxedo laces to them to make them a little more formal. I already bought them btw.

Attachments

• 69A0D8C0-90B0-438C-8B2D-755179288C32.png
    69A0D8C0-90B0-438C-8B2D-755179288C32.png
    486.2 KB · Views: 64

jiibarra

Reaction score
In general, questions like this are hard to answer without photos because fit is really important. A SuitSupply tux might look better on you than a Brioni if it fits better.
After fit comes styling. Not a fan of notch lapels for a tuxedo. If they both fit you equally well (big if) then go for the SuitSupply.
"Quality" is overrated.

What do you think about these shoes that I plan on wearing? They’re from Acme Shoemaker and they’re in Grey Black Patina. I also might add some black satin tuxedo laces to them to make them a little more formal. I already bought them btw.

Attachments

• CE5F75B7-354C-4C5F-8589-49F9B2B8E640.png
    CE5F75B7-354C-4C5F-8589-49F9B2B8E640.png
    486.2 KB · Views: 63

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don 't think I would consider those formal wear shoes. But many may not notice.

If you have them and like them, go for it.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Some context. Notch lapels aren't so much "wrong" on a tux as they are... a confusing choice. A tuxedo is designed to stand out a little more. It has silk-faced lapels, you wear a bow tie... it says you came to party, and it uses these distinctions from a lounge suit or business suit to announce that, to make it clear that you're there to have some fun.

Maybe that doesn't make a big difference to you, maybe it does. To me, that's more important than going from half to full canvas. I'm trying to compromsie less and less on styling. Quality is a really abstract thing, but fit and features and details are kinda tangible, and visible. If the Cornelliani one lasts you 5,000 wears and the Suitsupply one only lasts you 1,000 wears, is that really going to make a difference if you only wear the tux twice a year? No. What will make a difference? How good it looks each time you *do* war it. How it comes out in photos. The way you remember it.

And how it feels, too... But you can't test the fabric online. You can't return the garment on eBay. You can't try it on. That kind of stinks too.

But a notch lapel tux isn't wrong, it just feels more like a lounge suit, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member