• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where Can One Find Side-Tab Wool Slacks, OTR?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother's 40-something cardiologist in the city (NYC) always wears side-tab slacks, which intrigues me no end because I *never* ever see them in stores, or on anyone else, and he doesn't otherwise present as someone who's particularly into clothes, or someone who would wear custom (though I'm aware that I'm making a dubious assumption that those who wear custom are necessarily "stylish" or "into clothes"). I'm always on the verge of asking him where he gets them, but it feels awkward and inappropriate. My primary association with side tabs in the polyester sansabelt-type slacks that had a bit of popularity in the fashion-shitshow 70's.

Anyone aware of where they might be available OTR?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're in love with a particular pair of trousers, I believe you can add side tabs by taking the excess cloth from the hemming process. Usually, high-end trousers come "unfinished" (as most people here already know). When you hem the trousers, you have a bit of fabric in hand. I believe a tailor can make side tabs out of these if you wish.

However, if the trousers have belt loops, then you will need to remove those. I believe this can be an expensive alteration. You may want to call your local alteration's tailor to check.

Personally, I've always associated side tabs with suit trousers, not odd trousers. But whether worn with a suit jacket or sport coat, I suppose no one will see.

Last edited:

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other options:

Isaia
RRL
Older Polo (blue label x Corneliani)
Rota
Zanella
Incotex (uncommon, but they're out there)

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the info.

And thanks to the mods for fixing the thread title.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in love with a particular pair of trousers, I believe you can add side tabs by taking the excess cloth from the hemming process. Usually, high-end trousers come "unfinished" (as most people here already know). When you hem the trousers, you have a bit of fabric in hand. I believe a tailor can make side tabs out of these if you wish.

However, if the trousers have belt loops, then you will need to remove those. I believe this can be an expensive alteration. You may want to call your local alteration's tailor to check....
[clipped]

Thanks for the info!

Mirage-

Reaction score
The real problem is if you're trying to buy cheaper and preferably washable everyday chinos/trousers, which I do as I hate belts even in casual trousers (never found them comfortable for sitting, which I do a lot of...). And yes I'm aware that adjusters would probably look a bit strange with casual chinos, still I would try. Probably button adjusters would look less out of place but nobody sells those either in the lower price bracket.
Haven't found basically any shop that has them.

Scarlatti

Reaction score
However, if the trousers have belt loops, then you will need to remove those. I believe this can be an expensive alteration. You may want to call your local alteration's tailor to check.

I'm far from being a real tailor but I do small alterations myself. Removing belt loops isn't really complicated, at least, it hasn't been with the trousers I have altered so far. Also making side tabs isn't really hard (for those interested, I have a pattern for that, you can PM me).

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real problem is if you're trying to buy cheaper and preferably washable everyday chinos/trousers, which I do as I hate belts even in casual trousers (never found them comfortable for sitting, which I do a lot of...). And yes I'm aware that adjusters would probably look a bit strange with casual chinos, still I would try. Probably button adjusters would look less out of place but nobody sells those either in the lower price bracket.
Haven't found basically any shop that has them.
Hm, I don't think adjusters would look odd on chinos at all. In fact, you're bringing up a vague memory of mine: I think I may have actually owned a pair of chinos with some sort of side adjusters (double D-ring loops, maybe?) years ago, possibly decades... wish I could remember exactly. I've never been a custom or high-end trouser guy, so it would have been some random find...

Mirage-

Reaction score
Maybe it's just a question of avoiding the shine of the usual adjusters. That being said no one actually wears adjusters here in Rome, not even when dressing up in suits (much to my dismay they all wear belts) so I'm pretty sure even on dress trousers they would be a novelty, let alone chinos . But it's a price I am willing to pay for comfort...if only I could find some.

The only thing I've found are linen trousers from Gutteridge, which are both inexpensive and washable (but also a bit too slim). Which is actually funny given how hard they push the waistcoat and trousers-with-belt look, which manages to be both historically incorrect and impressively anachronistic (no one wears waistcoats except perhaps fancy bartenders).
I also once saw some chino with adjusters at Massimo Dutti but they were already on clearance, few sizes left, and haven't reappeared since, to my knowledge. Instead, everybody (from cheap to expensive brands) seem to be on the boat of jogger fits, even in dress pants, probably attempting to channel the WFH fashion (?) mood, which at this point I'm convinced is all about suggesting the idea of comfort rather than actually providing it.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just a question of avoiding the shine of the usual adjusters. That being said no one actually wears adjusters here in Rome, not even when dressing up in suits (much to my dismay they all wear belts) so I'm pretty sure even on dress trousers they would be a novelty, let alone chinos . But it's a price I am willing to pay for comfort...if only I could find some.

The only thing I've found are linen trousers from Gutteridge, which are both inexpensive and washable (but also a bit too slim). Which is actually funny given how hard they push the waistcoat and trousers-with-belt look, which manages to be both historically incorrect and impressively anachronistic (no one wears waistcoats except perhaps fancy bartenders).
I also once saw some chino with adjusters at Massimo Dutti but they were already on clearance, few sizes left, and haven't reappeared since, to my knowledge. Instead, everybody (from cheap to expensive brands) seem to be on the boat of jogger fits, even in dress pants, probably attempting to channel the WFH fashion (?) mood, which at this point I'm convinced is all about suggesting the idea of comfort rather than actually providing it.

"Jogger fit" meaning elasticized waistband with drawstring? On dress slacks? Yikes! Wow, I'm really out of the loop!

Good luck with your search!

Mirage-

Reaction score
Yes, exactly that. I can kind of accept a slim drawstring for casual linen trousers, in fact I bought one precisely because it seemed the only way to do away with belt loops, but with wool trousers it's too much.
Still, some even have actual joggers (i.e. with elasticized ankles) in wool, which is much worse and way too streetwear for me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TecnoterGroup