• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit advice… with a twist. Winter in the English countryside

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m getting married in December, in the British countryside. My fiancee is adamant I wear a three piece brown tweed suit. The point is, I don’t want to buy something I’d never have the chance to wear again, and I don’t want to cheap out either.

I’ve been thinking on getting a nice dark brown tweed sportscoat, that is going to help me build my wardrobe, and buy a separate non matching waistcoat just for the occasion (where could I find that?). As for trousers, maybe a charcoal flannel? What do you guys think of this idea?

And which brown tweed sportscoats would you recommend in the 700-1000 usd range? I have my eyes on this one, but I wish it were a herringbone.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were to do something like a brown donegal suit, the coat and trousers could be worn on their own - think of the trousers with a cream Aran sweater.

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
The brown tweed suit is actually quite versatile and you can wear trousers, jacket, and even a waistcoat on their own. Here are a couple of examples:

Brown jacket: with navy jeans, medium to dark grey and blue trousers.
Brown trousers: cream, navy, yellow, grey sweaters. Kable-knit ones would look especially well.
Brown waistcoat: with navy jeans, medium to dark grey and blue trousers paired with a gingham navy blue shirt, for example.

Also, this is your wedding, so getting a brown tweed suit would guarantee that you will look great and make your fiance happy as well :) Of all the occasions in your life, this one is probably the one that you should dress up for. I wore a tuxedo during my wedding and have never worn it after that, but looking at the pictures of my happy wife I have no regrets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics