• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vacationson

Reaction score
Hey✌️ First time poster here. Looking for help with the Harrier Vest. I wrote an article on the history behind the vest but there are two things I wasn't able to dig up:
  1. I found many pictures of the original WWII-era USN Kapok vests but unlike the Harrier Vest they all featured a headrest. The only OG Kapok vests without a headrest that I found were in specialized vintage stores. Does anyone know the story behind the headrest on those Kapok vests? Was it removable? Did anyone use vests without a headrest?
  2. The name 'Harrier'. Apparently, these smaller species of hawks gave its name to the 1920s biplane torpedo bomber and 1960s vertical takeoff ground attack jet. Both of which were developed in the United Kingdom and don’t seem to connect to the WWII-era Kapok life vest. Any ideas where does the name 'Harrier' come from?
Link to the article

norigim

Reaction score
They will definitely release it on reception for those invited. It's like a tradition for all Visvim store openings whether it's in JP or US. Really want to go the reception as I want a couple of pieces, wondering if I can find someone who is invited but not plan on going and somehow transfer their invitation to me. Not sure if that's doable at all.
I think you can probably just call and ask to go to the reception. I don't think they will have as big as a turnout compared to LA or Tokyo. When I called with questions they asked if I wanted to go (I was invited, but they didn't know that nor did they ask my name).

jdemotion

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey✌️ First time poster here. Looking for help with the Harrier Vest. I wrote an article on the history behind the vest but there are two things I wasn't able to dig up:
  1. I found many pictures of the original WWII-era USN Kapok vests but unlike the Harrier Vest they all featured a headrest. The only OG Kapok vests without a headrest that I found were in specialized vintage stores. Does anyone know the story behind the headrest on those Kapok vests? Was it removable? Did anyone use vests without a headrest?
  2. The name 'Harrier'. Apparently, these smaller species of hawks gave its name to the 1920s biplane torpedo bomber and 1960s vertical takeoff ground attack jet. Both of which were developed in the United Kingdom and don’t seem to connect to the WWII-era Kapok life vest. Any ideas where does the name 'Harrier' come from?
Link to the article
Would be pure speculation on my part for #2 (sounds cool?), but for #1 I found some more information that sheds light on the neck support: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...tors-during-d-day-rare?variant=39746351300677

grs

Reaction score
Link to the article
1. I would be inclined to think the 2nd Constant Practice piece you showed is a pretty similar rendition to the Harrier Vest. Keep in mind Visvim isn't really a reproduction brand, they just take those silhouettes and modernize them.

2. Harrier Jets were/are often carried on aircraft carriers. I always took the vest as inspired by the vests worn by the crew on flight decks. Maybe that is why it does not feature the headrest. If you want a headrest check out some versions of the P.F.D. Down Vest by Visvim.

vacationson

Reaction score
Would be pure speculation on my part for #2 (sounds cool?), but for #1 I found some more information that sheds light on the neck support: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...tors-during-d-day-rare?variant=39746351300677
Actually, I saw this one. The description says that the standard version didn't feature a headrest. But the thing is that all of the archival photos I've seen so far featured vests WITH a headrest

So I wonder whether anyone actually wore them without one

Last edited:

vacationson

Reaction score
1. I would be inclined to think the 2nd Constant Practice piece you showed is a pretty similar rendition to the Harrier Vest. Keep in mind Visvim isn't really a reproduction brand, they just take those silhouettes and modernize them.

2. Harrier Jets were/are often carried on aircraft carriers. I always took the vest as inspired by the vests worn by the crew on flight decks. Maybe that is why it does not feature the headrest. If you want a headrest check out some versions of the P.F.D. Down Vest by Visvim.
1. Yeah, I know. I just like digging for the hidden clues even if there is none. It's almost more exciting than the clothing itself haha
2. I like the connection you made between jets and aircraft carriers which require wearing a life vest. Sounds about right to me, I will update the article. Thank you!

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmel opening was very quiet, only about 4 people in line myself included at time of opening. No offense if they're on here, but I think all the other people in line were just resellers lol. No size 3 in black kerchief, only 4 and 5 and the first reseller couple bought both. Some more people trickled in after opening, but turnout was pretty mild- not unheard of given the town isn't really close to anything. They also had a Carmel exclusive chambray BD ( same as the other stores) with the heavy branding on the rear. Staff from both Japan and Los Angeles were there hanging, was cool to see everyone.

1000008147.jpg
1000008146.jpg
1000008149.jpg

1000008148.jpg

Retlas

Reaction score
the space looks cool (chilled) but as you say, I would expect it to be buzzing with excitement. Nothing temp you though @Fycus?

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Journeyman and UT satchel (L). Didn't realize till I got home but they sew the hide on the UT now, kinda a bummer

norigim

Reaction score
I also stopped by today. They still had a full run of blue kerchiefs. Store is cool, I like it a lot more than the LA store but can’t possibly see them making a profit on this store. Hiroki and his family were hanging.

tracytt

Reaction score
Carmel opening was very quiet, only about 4 people in line myself included at time of opening. No offense if they're on here, but I think all the other people in line were just resellers lol. No size 3 in black kerchief, only 4 and 5 and the first reseller couple bought both. Some more people trickled in after opening, but turnout was pretty mild- not unheard of given the town isn't really close to anything. They also had a Carmel exclusive chambray BD ( same as the other stores) with the heavy branding on the rear. Staff from both Japan and Los Angeles were there hanging, was cool to see everyone.

View attachment 2062625 View attachment 2062627 View attachment 2062629
View attachment 2062637

Hi man, I was the 3rd in line today and not a reseller lol. I just really wanted the black kerchief and apparently waiting in line from 2am is not enough smh. The pursuit will have to continue...

Given how little people show up today, I wonder if the store will have a lot of stock in the future. Maybe if they combine the purchase order with LA store it would have a decent one. All in all, still a pretty good thing for folks in northern California to at least have a LCC to go to. Tbh I think their coffee is kind of mid, but their palm juice is definitely worth a try!

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must've just missed ya! I was in and out by 12:30. Heard hiroki was there but didn't stick around long enough to meet him. I did see quite a few locals peek their head in or say "wow it looks like it's open", so maybe it'll find its own niche downtown? Carmel does have a bunch of old money, maybe some things will sell

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi man, I was the 3rd in line today and not a reseller lol. I just really wanted the black kerchief and apparently waiting in line from 2am is not enough smh. The pursuit will have to continue...
Hey bro good to see you here 😎 I think the "couple" were that we met and had talked about, but who knows! As we said, the brand doesn't seem to mind so all is fair- let's hope that black Friday will land you something for your efforts

tracytt

Reaction score
Must've just missed ya! I was in and out by 12:30. Heard hiroki was there but didn't stick around long enough to meet him. I did see quite a few locals peek their head in or say "wow it looks like it's open", so maybe it'll find its own niche downtown? Carmel does have a bunch of old money, maybe some things will sell

They did have a few antique dishware on sale there and I asked about the prices they are much more reasonable than the LCC stuff they are selling today. The antique market in Carmel seems to be pretty competitive though.

I did notice quite some people passing by were interested in the store but given the US retail and the all year weather in Carmel I don't think they will sell that well.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BejeWear