• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting New York

rjc149

Reaction score
Don't forget to visit Central Park. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is also highly recommended. Both can be done in a morning or afternoon, since part of the museum's campus is in Central Park.

Have a walk around Lower Manhattan if the weather's nice, and get a feel for New Amsterdam -- note how the streets are windy and curvy, like a European village, because that's what it once was. Wall Street was once the actual wall that protected New Amsterdam from the wilderness to the north. Broadway was once the Wickquasgeck Trail, an old Lenape Indian hunting path, the that led north up the island through the wild forests and swamps.

There's a revolving door of restaurants closing and opening, but if you want "the best burger in NYC" I recommend paying Minetta Tavern a visit, it's in the Lower East Side and features their Black Label Burger, which is a $35 burger, if you're so inclined. I think if you're visiting the USA, you should get a good burger. The Black Label Burger does not come with fries, however, you'll need to order those separately. A $35 burger should come with fries, but it's a good burger.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife and I are headed to NYC the 19-24th so we are prepping for shopping, eating and drinking. We are staying down in the Village. The last two times I've stayed there I've really enjoyed the lively scene, walking around, dropping in on places that seemed fun.

Shopping: For shoes Leffot would be a "must" visit, you mentioned the Armoury (they have their original traditional shop downtown in TruBeca but a newer one that carries more smart casual and Real McCoys up on Madison. Bergdorf, of course, or if you want to go full Italian (Fedelli, PT, Finamore, etc.) stop in to see De Corato (about half a block from the east side Armoury, there is also No Man Walks Alone (make an appointment), In SOHO there is a slowear store right next to a C&J shop (one of 2 in the city.

Eating & Drinking: I enjoy the Waverly Inn, Keens Steak House (many say it's the best) , Dante for cocktails or lunch, Pisellino for coffees or drinks, Altro Paradiso for breakfast, lunch or dinner (Milanese style Italian), Buvette, Rubi Rosa (casual Italian) etc. But, its also fun to walk around and discover a place that appeals to you.

Hit one of the jazz clubs.

Thanks Gus, will definitely visit some of the places you mentioned.

It's a walking city. Break the city up into neighbourhoods and walk.

Will follow this advise for sure, thanks lefty.

When I was a young lad, my dad would take us on the Staten Island ferry back and forth to see the NYC skyline, Statue of Liberty and waterfront, then buy us a few hot dogs from vendors. Always a good day.

My girlfriend and I, already have in mind the Statue of Liberty tour, booked. :D Hope we can get a good sunset to take some nice pics.

Don't forget to visit Central Park. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is also highly recommended. Both can be done in a morning or afternoon, since part of the museum's campus is in Central Park.

Have a walk around Lower Manhattan if the weather's nice, and get a feel for New Amsterdam -- note how the streets are windy and curvy, like a European village, because that's what it once was. Wall Street was once the actual wall that protected New Amsterdam from the wilderness to the north. Broadway was once the Wickquasgeck Trail, an old Lenape Indian hunting path, the that led north up the island through the wild forests and swamps.

There's a revolving door of restaurants closing and opening, but if you want "the best burger in NYC" I recommend paying Minetta Tavern a visit, it's in the Lower East Side and features their Black Label Burger, which is a $35 burger, if you're so inclined. I think if you're visiting the USA, you should get a good burger. The Black Label Burger does not come with fries, however, you'll need to order those separately. A $35 burger should come with fries, but it's a good burger.
Thanks, man! Will do. Kind of a silly question... but as I said, it's my first time in NYC... can I rent a bicycle to ride around Central Park?

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the archives, since it's been a year and I know things change quickly in NY. Heading there next month, this time with our 9yr old. Wondering what's new on the dining scene? I remember last time, we went to a pizza spot right by Leffot, but I can't remember the name or find it to save my life. Any guesses what that might be?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the archives, since it's been a year and I know things change quickly in NY. Heading there next month, this time with our 9yr old. Wondering what's new on the dining scene? I remember last time, we went to a pizza spot right by Leffot, but I can't remember the name or find it to save my life. Any guesses what that might be?
Probably John’s Pizzeria on Bleecker I think. There is better pizza, both New York style and Napoli style.

WestLinn

Reaction score
It’s been years since my last visit and I’ve quit drinking in the mean time, but I used to love to go to De La Concha for a cigar (on 6th, about 57th I think) proceeded by getting a bottle Or two of good beer, and then walk the city smoking away. I don’t know if they allow smoking or drinking (it was fine as long as it was in a paper bag) while walking about anymore however. And as has been mentioned, loved the MoMA and the Met (allow a LOT of time for this) as things to do.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
maybe Keste? they closed permanently

If anyone is interested
Great food at Thai Diner
Same owner as Uncle Boon, which closed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads