• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Watch Thread (Pre-1990's watches only)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late 50's Alpina hand wind. A sports watch in its day; it makes a perfect dress watch now. I wear it either on a black leather strap or a tight mesh "polonaise" bracelet.

HPaKDQ.jpg

J9C2wb.md.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this thread, so I figured I’d share my one and only ‘vintage’ watch…an early 20th century Illinois in a ~33mm cushion case with a @DavidLane goatskin strap

I basically kept it cause I love the font, but it doesn’t get too mush use since it’s a tad too small and the movement is noisy. I’ve been toying with the idea of using it as the basis for a custom from RGM Watches

Attachments

• 5322570D-E894-4EEA-B23F-066F09C2103F.jpeg
    5322570D-E894-4EEA-B23F-066F09C2103F.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 58

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cchen I would reconsider your stance on the 1016. It took me many, many years to get one. However, now that I do, I can't imagine ever having a collection without one.
View attachment 1804048

-DL

Great example! Not for want of trying... I'd ideally want an unpolished case, gilt dial, but the prices are out of reach already

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been searching for a deal on a vintage Citizen Challenge Diver for a few years now but everything I found was either beat to hell or about double what I was willing to pay. I recently came across this one with a clean case (I don't mind that it's been polished) and a bezel that wasn't tooooo terrible for a 45+ year-old watch for roughly what I was willing to pay. It's got next to no power reserve anymore but otherwise seems to be running pretty well.

334B747E-9CEA-4E34-A58A-90910791F026.jpeg
233A0481-CC6F-4FA9-ACC3-1BB7904D5255.jpeg
AC9FEA26-55EA-4002-8C93-41BB99FBD72C.jpeg
5924F706-51FA-4B0A-BDCB-2318F7F0A343.jpeg

Looking something up about these the other day, I saw that Citizen is actually planning to release an updated TI version of these old Challenge Divers later this summer. They look pretty close to the original except that the new version is 41mm compared to these at 40.

I've got a couple vintage Citizen dive watches now and sort of would like to hunt down an old Aqualand or Aquamount but they seem to have such a strange shape that I'd probably never actually wear them (it's not as if I ever get in water deeper than about 6'). It's sort of like the Omega Ploprof - a very interesting watch but not something I would ever really wear.

Last edited:

jiredell

Reaction score
I had been searching for a deal on a vintage Citizen Challenge Diver for a few years now but everything I found was either beat to hell or about double what I was willing to pay. I recently came across this one with a clean case (I don't mind that it's been polished) and a bezel that wasn't tooooo terrible for a 45+ year-old watch for roughly what I was willing to pay. It's got next to no power reserve anymore but otherwise seems to be running pretty well.

View attachment 1805745 View attachment 1805746 View attachment 1805747 View attachment 1805748

Looking something up about these the other day, I saw that Citizen is actually planning to release an updated TI version of these old Challenge Divers later this summer. They look pretty close to the original except that the new version is 41mm compared to these at 40.

I've got a couple vintage Citizen dive watches now and sort of would like to hunt down an old Aqualand or Aquamount but they seem to have such a strange shape that I'd probably never actually wear them (it's not as if I ever get in water deeper than about 6'). It's sort of like the Omega Ploprof - a very interesting watch but not something I would ever really wear.
Obviously, the diving point is kind moot with any vintage watch, right? I love divers for their style. Never picked one up, though I'm not sure why. I've always liked chronographs more. Nevertheless, for me, I've long since made it a personal rule to not venture into environments completely hostile to human life. I've seen The Abyss and Apollo 13. I'm good on zero oxygen/high pressure/zero pressure environments.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1950 longines automatic IMG_20220623_164831_01.jpg IMG_20220623_164913.jpg IMG_20220623_170049_01.jpg

Some interesting personal history here. Y great grandfather used to have this exact watch. It was destroyed (and I mean really destroyed) and all I had was the warped case, an old dial beat to hell and back and the case back. I searched off and on for 15 years looking for the exact watch and just Tuesday, I found it! Bought it, arrived by post today, popped the un engraved back off and popped my great-grandpas on and voila! Ship of Theseus watch for the win!!

Last edited:

jiredell

Reaction score
Beautiful. If you happen to know the story of the watch's destruction, I'd love to hear how that happened! But what a great way to preserve some family history!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful. If you happen to know the story of the watch's destruction, I'd love to hear how that happened! But what a great way to preserve some family history!
I wish I had any history! When he does it came in a box of stuff to be. No jewel, no bezel, no strap, no hands, the face looks like it was sprinkled with acid rain and the case isn't true
But the movement works pretty damned well 😂🤣😂🤣🤣
IMG_20220623_165156_01.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads