• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopsack doesn't have to be open weave (although it traditionally is). It's just a way to describe a 2x2 weave. Can be loosely or densely woven.

Last edited:

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also densely woven. At least that is what my wife tells me.
lol

"Winter" hopsack - I was thinking this would be versatile given that I sit indoors all day. The weight helps keep warm when layered with a coat but the relatively open weave makes it comfortable to wear indoor in heated rooms all day.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol

"Winter" hopsack - I was thinking this would be versatile given that I sit indoors all day. The weight helps keep warm when layered with a coat but the relatively open weave makes it comfortable to wear indoor in heated rooms all day.
I think it's a good call. Obviously it wouldn't feel great if you're stuck standing outside in the dead of winter (assuming your climate actually gets cold), but it should presumably work quite well for most situations in the winter.

bloodyj13

Reaction score
12oz.
I'm not against the purple stripe, but I'd be afraid of getting it wrong. A little too much this way or that way (maybe too bright, maybe too lilac), and it can look off IMO. Sort of like that check posted a few months back with the bright blue stripe. I feel like the margin for error is a little more forgiving with blue.
Maybe I should just ask for a swatch of the tan and go from there. Will contact HFW about it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that I'm working on another tan spring/ summer check. So there will be another option if this one doesn't pan out.

And yes, 12oz. I'm thinking of this as a spring/ fall fabric. Usual "shoulder season tweed" kind of logic.
Will you also post it on your tumblr when it's come to the final decision? I found out it's a bit more easy to follow the tumblr rather than this thread...... just don't wanna miss the chance anyway

jssdc

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience (ideally comparative experience) with either the Huddersfield High Twist collection or Minnis Classic 2? I'm debating between two ~12oz mid/dark grays:

A "pinhead" in the former:

And a sharkskin in the latter:

Appreciate any thoughts!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Will you also post it on your tumblr when it's come to the final decision? I found out it's a bit more easy to follow the tumblr rather than this thread...... just don't wanna miss the chance anyway

Will definitely post it on the site. It's usually hard to round up the requisite 60m on just this forum, so I'll mention it on the blog as well.

CrimsonWave

Reaction score

Does anyone have experience (ideally comparative experience) with either the Huddersfield High Twist collection or Minnis Classic 2?

I have only had experience with HC's High Twist that I made up into a pair of trousers years ago. It falls very nicely and resists wrinkles well.

dan'l

Reaction score
I also saw that and immediately saved the pic. I'd love to get my hands on a length of it.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An interesting picture. Sports coat, blue button up shirt, jeans and, of course, with that combo, no tie.

I think that is the first time I saw a sports coat and jeans together that I like.

jssdc

Reaction score
I have only had experience with HC's High Twist that I made up into a pair of trousers years ago. It falls very nicely and resists wrinkles well.

Thanks for the response! How dry is the hand when made up? The swatch seemed nearly fresco-like (but maybe just in comparison to the other stuff I was looking at).

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which cloth merchants have the best online digital swatches? Would be great to peruse for inspiration. I think Ariston is pretty good at this, but who else? I am one of those horrible people who needs an unreasonable amount of time to decide between near identical shades of blue or details on a pattern, so this would be a great resource.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally like the darker version, and would even consider going darker still. I like how the original has an overall darkness to it which I think would look great in a tweedish cloth. My .02 anyway, albeit a bit late to the discussion. A quick Photoshopped example: DL-
I'm really feeling this even darker version. Would be super easy to wear.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9