• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UNCOMFORTABLE SHOULDER? forward shoulders

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello A A

Try the horse hair cloth if you wish. Its the cheaper method, but with the less possible success.
If it does not work it can be removed without damage. but you pay for both the doing and then the undoing.

TO do the major alteration, you must have at least 3/4 of an inch of cloth available beneath the collar.
Thats right there at the curve of the gorge,and up to the shoulder seam line.The measure is along the
shoulder seam line.
. Your tailor will need to break a few stitches to peek inside.

Last edited:

Asinus Aureus

Reaction score
Thank you. So from the photo you can definitely tell this is a problem of a forward shoulder?

Yes, there is enough cloth left in there to do it. I will discuss it with the tailor and see how it goes. Also, would this alteration affect the balance of the jacket, and the buttoning?

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hi AA

Remember that cloth allowance is measured at the top of the gorge along the shoulder seam line.
Also the the cloth that sticks out as that triangle gets cut off.

Last edited:

simplesimple

Reaction score
Resuscitating an old thread!

Is the original post what I should be considering asking a tailor for, if my shoulders carry forward / rounded, and jackets tend to feel tight on the nape of my neck?

Sorry, I can't post a photo...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Feeling pressure at the nape of your neck is something else. You would feel pressure against the tip of your shoulder against the jacket shoulder if forward shoulders were your issue.
If your tailor is able to correct the issue he is competent to diagnose the problem. If he can't diagnose the problem, unlikely he grasps how to fix it.

Last edited:

simplesimple

Reaction score
Thanks Despos - I will try to get some photos taken. I live in a small town where I don't think there are anything other than seamstress-type alteration shops.

Last edited:

needwants

Reaction score
Hi

Hope you can help with suggestions and more explanation on how to fix this (im no expert in tailoring, while my tailor is good - we both could use some help on this one). The front shoulder/collarbone area is creasing/folding in. Many thanks

@Despos@a tailor

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello Needwants

Yes you have hit on the correct alteration. That diagonal shoulder kink is the dead give away.
hopefully there is an inch of cloth under the collar. So that there is a 3/4" shift leaving 1/4' to fasten the collar back on.
One inch to work with is ideal, but three quarters will do in a pinch.

This job takes a good deal of working time, that means its not cheap. $$$$$

Good luck

Alex

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Feeling pressure at the nape of your neck is something else. You would feel pressure against the tip of your shoulder against the jacket shoulder if forward shoulders were your issue.
If your tailor is able to correct the issue he is competent to diagnose the problem. If he can't diagnose the problem, unlikely he grasps how to fix it.

The back tip of shoulder?

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Would you explain your question please?

I believe I have the forward sloping shoulders issue. I feel pressure on the back tip or I guess the spot I am referring to is where a tailor would measure to for your shoulder measure. Would this likely mean I have forward sloping shoulders? Can I fix this through better posture/exercises or do I just need to get jackets altered/custom?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Read atailors description in the first post of this thread. He explains the issue very well.
Generally with forward shoulders you feel pressure at the front/top of your shoulder. It’s the point where the jacket rests on the tip of your shoulder. Also caused by the jacket shoulder being sloped more than your natural shoulder so your shoulder is pressing into/against the jacket. Feeling pressure on the back of your shoulder suggest other issues but would be guessing without a visual

Last edited:

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Can you tell from these pics? The navy jacket feels way too tight in shoulders so I ordered a larger size (the plaid pattern is 42). This still feel a bit tight in shoulders, right at top of shoulder in back. I feel like shoulders have been constrained after I take jacket off.
374D9768-D125-46D5-9139-DE09254F4C4D.png
7D981929-0944-4301-B534-C769E44BB54F.png
906DA26B-67F0-4FE1-965E-C5EC6AD83F11.png
2C8BABEE-CD59-4BFF-89C3-AFA130097ECA.jpeg
D7C53D58-FFB9-4C4B-AF5D-7440AE059743.png
407811E4-8187-4081-A705-3EAFFEA9F3DD.png
2F31F959-4B77-40FE-9037-EC5050591065.jpeg
DD36868B-6937-4CF5-AF74-4667679F17C9.png

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you tell from these pics? The navy jacket feels way too tight in shoulders so I ordered a larger size (the plaid pattern is 42). This still feel a bit tight in shoulders, right at top of shoulder in back. I feel like shoulders have been constrained after I take jacket off. View attachment 1576505 View attachment 1576506 View attachment 1576507 View attachment 1576508 View attachment 1576509 View attachment 1576510 View attachment 1576511 View attachment 1576512
What I see are prominent shoulder blades creating tension across the back. Looks like the shoulders need to be squared up. When the shoulders are opened your tailor needs to put more fullness on the back part and work the back for your blades. The back isn't too narrow or small, the shoulder work is needed to compensate for the blades. It is redistributing the cloth by putting fullness over the blades.
That's all I can think of from the pictures.
The dark jacket is too small, the lapels are bowing and popping out. The plaid is better. No need for pictures with your arms lifted outward. It doesn't show anything.

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. The shoulder blade point makes sense because my shoulder blades definitely stick out more than most peoples, especially when I move my arms forward. Do the plaid jacket shoulders look wide enough or would it be worth it to go up a size? Is fixing it something rather simple for a tailor? or is it expensive and it would be more wise to get something made to measure (bespoke is out of my price range)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics