• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 14 list of shoes under $500 for newbies

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You often see many lists on media outlets comprised of "top ten shoes." Some lists even include a price tag as a method of denoting quality within that price range. Sadly, I always feel like those lists include the same old shoes which either shoe aficionados do not like wearing, or are not interesting enough to warrant a purchase after owning a few brands. So, "we" compiled a list of 14 shoe brands (4 more than most suggest) which shoe lovers both continue wearing and continue purchasing.

This list can also serve, and is directed towards, those just beginning their shoe journeys. As it is typically new shoe owners or would be shoe owners who want to know the opinion of experienced users. These brands can easily fill out capsule collections, or add to an existing collection. Moreover, these are brands most shoe aficionados would be proud of.

Inclusion and exclusion of brands on this list were based on leather, overall last and style appeal, variety of leather options, ease of ordering, customer service, accessibility, construction, and of course price. Now, most of these brands are admittedly not as accessible as others, but those brands that were selected over other candidates were chosen due to "ticking" more boxes. Additionally, many of the higher priced shoes can be purchased at lower than advertised prices with easy to find discounts.

As with all things like this, this is a completely subjective list, but we attempted to be as objective as possible.
Without further ado, here are your top 14 shoes under $500......

Carlos Santos
Carmina
Vass
TLB Mallorca
Grant Stone
Sons of Henrey
Cobbler Union
Midas
Paraboot
Crockett & Jones
Yearn
Cheaney
Rancourt
Union Imperial

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You often see many lists on media outlets comprised of "top ten shoes." Some lists even include a price tag as a method of denoting quality within that price range. Sadly, I always feel like those lists include the same old shoes which either shoe aficionados do not like wearing, or are not interesting enough to warrant a purchase after owning a few brands. So, "we" compiled a list of 14 shoe brands (4 more than most suggest) which shoe lovers both continue wearing and continue purchasing.

This can also serve, and is directed towards, those just beginning their shoe journeys. As it is typically new shoe owners or would be shoe owners who want to know the opinion of experienced users. These brands can easily fill out capsule collections, or add to an existing collection. Moreover, these are brands most shoe aficionados would be proud of.

Inclusion and exclusion of brands on this list were based on leather, overall last and style appeal, variety of leather options, ease of ordering, customer service, accessibility, construction, and of course price. Now, most of these brands are admittedly not as accessible as others, but those brands that were selected over other candidates were chosen due to "ticking" more boxes.

As with all things like this, this is a completely subjective list, but we attempted to be as objective as possible.
Without further ado, here are your top 14 shoes under $500......

Carlos Santos
Carmina
Vass
TLB Mallorca
Grant Stone
Sons of Henrey
Cobbler Union
Midas
Paraboot
Crockett & Jones
Yearn
Cheaney
Rancourt
Union Imperial

Uh, Crockett and Jones retail for 580-700 dollars for their main line.

Carmina averages over 500, with many just beneath at 475.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah that one was borderline. There had been a fair number of sites with them discounted where it made sense to add it.

Same with Carmina, but Carmina predominantly are within that $475 number, as you mentioned. The $500 threshold is before tax.

BespokeAldenGuy

Reaction score

If you're friendly with C&J, can order directly from them in UK and less VAT makes it under $500.

Quite a well rounded list. I see many countries and varieties.
Not surprised to not see AE.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

why anyone buy CJ at US px is beyond me, you can still buy from any UK retailer ex VAT (or European retailer ex VAT) they might have some stocking time. I still have the CJ London shop email they use to ship out ex VAT as well not sure if they still do now they officially launch their eCommerce.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess can add L&T to it, but then eventually it will be filled with many made by same Spanish factories with some variation in quality and design

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're friendly with C&J, can order directly from them in UK and less VAT makes it under $500.

Quite a well rounded list. I see many countries and varieties.
Not surprised to not see AE.

AE. There was a lot of debate about this one. The inconsistency in finishing, dated lasts, and subpar leather combined with how much better the other brands were in comparison was a too tall a task to overcome.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
by the way out of the entire list here I think CJ countries shoe are the only one I would not eventually end up “upgrade”.

And I guess maybe rancourt too but that’s because they’re a very specific look anyway

also same goes for the casual paraboot stuff

I can see eventually upgrade for any of the dress shoe here if one wants to

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think arguing about the retail/street price of C&J is beside the point.

The price might be borderline and not sure if it counts, but what about Paul Sargent/old Alfred Sargent shoes? They're like handgrade CJ at benchgrade prices.

I suppose the lack of availability on those older models is why they were excluded. It would also require too much work for customers to pick and choose the "right" shoe which would correspond with the superior models. Some are Made in Italy while others in England.

BespokeAldenGuy

Reaction score
Increasing budget to $500 to $750 would be another wildly interesting list with AM, JOE Works and of course my favorite, Aldens.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess can add L&T to it, but then eventually it will be filled with many made by same Spanish factories with some variation in quality and design

There simply were too many of the Spanish brands and Spanish made shoes that overlapped in appearance, construction, and overall details. The best of the best were selected from that enormous crop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads