• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thickest, warmest wool socks?

mr.loverman

Reaction score
Any recommendations for warm winter socks for snowshoeing and similar activities?

Preferably 80% wool or higher.

CaptainApathy

Reaction score
As Gus mentioned Smartwool makes socks in a variety of weights. You can also check out Darn Tough, Scott Nichols (though their socks may be better for a cold walk to the office), and Corgi. Of the bunch my favorite for warmth and comfort would be Smartwool, Corgi for design.

One word of caution: do NOT put wool socks in the dryer, nothing will kill them faster.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smartwool. Have had many different weights and heights. All go in washer and dryer without any problem for many years.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used both on HST thru-hike and will say though I’ve only had a few DT models, they perform equally to SW imho.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hiking wearing medium weight Smartwool socks and low cut trail shoes this morning with temps in the teens and wind chill 9 degrees. My feet were warm.

I toss my Smartwool socks in the dryer, no problemo.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, possum merino socks probably are superior to any pure wool socks for winter outdoor activities.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm currently wearing American Trench's alpaca socks. They're pretty thick and warm. I'd compare them well to Smartwool socks, but I only have one pair of those and can't speak to the whole range.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Gus mentioned Smartwool makes socks in a variety of weights. You can also check out Darn Tough, Scott Nichols (though their socks may be better for a cold walk to the office), and Corgi. Of the bunch my favorite for warmth and comfort would be Smartwool, Corgi for design.

One word of caution: do NOT put wool socks in the dryer, nothing will kill them faster.

If you buy Darn Tough which is warrantied for the life of the sock you needn’t worry about it. All you have cover is the cost of shipping the socks back to the factory. They will issue you a coupon for the amount you paid at the time of purchase so you can order a replacement. I typically wait until I have two to three pairs I need to replace before sending them back. They really do last a good long time so it’s well worth it in my opinion.

whipcord

Reaction score
The Smartwool mountaineer full cushion socks are super thick and warm, so thick that I cannot wear them under any of my shoes or boots so they are pretty much house socks. I'd have to size up on footwear to fit them.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Smartwool mountaineer full cushion socks are super thick and warm, so thick that I cannot wear them under any of my shoes or boots so they are pretty much house socks. I'd have to size up on footwear to fit them.

To be honest I have yet to test any of my Darn Tough Socks in extreme cold for an extended period of time because the need isn’t there but they have performed for the hour or so that I need. But after 4 years of rotating 5 crew socks over the course of a 5 day work week I started developing holes in my Darn Tough socks. Of course this had to do with not only wearing but washing them every week as well and for 4 years in my experience with socks this is real good. I sent them to Darn Tough and they gave me full credit for time of purchase towards new socks. Smartwool maybe great socks as well but according to their website they only warranty their socks for two years. Personally at $30.00 for a pair of socks if not more for either unless there’s a substantial difference between them in warmth I’m choosing the socks that comes with the warranty for life and not just two years.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member