• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Scuppers, I think the newer one is a wee bit too large. Still nice, I just prefer the older models. That is merely a matter of preference though.

My bigger issue - and I say this with still digging the new one - it is really hard not to cross shop with vintage. This, for example:

A really nice NOS vintage will probably run you $15-20k, and you can get a bracelet.

beepbop

Reaction score
Passed an opportunity to purchase this yesterday, don't know how I feel about the decision, liked the watch but wasn't sure about the value proposition!

View attachment 2171785
These new ones are really large! Vintage jumbo ones are a really nice size, the dimensions make it wear a little more modern.

IMG_6014.jpg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty impressed with the bb54’s accuracy. My wife has been using it on runs 3x a week, sometimes 10+ miles at a time and it’s maybe +6 seconds a week…

Also a little disappointed with the Sinn accuracy. Seems to be losing 6 seconds a day. Going to see how it does over the next week or so though…

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
I've been down an IWC Pilot's rabbit hole recently. Still bummed that Foo's intriguing idea for a custom, vintage inspired Mark series never materialized. Damn you IWC! IMO this was the last of the decent Mark series watches. Standard 38mm MKXV ran from 99-mid 00's.

View attachment 2171631

Part of me thinks the MKXV is pretty much perfect (and dirt cheap) but every once in a while I'll think Hodinkee's collab or IWC's Tribute to the MKXI may work. I like the 40mm size of the Tribute that came out in '17: but the faux patina and that black date wheel are horrendous.

View attachment 2171629

They did a remake/tribute of the 3706 as well but f'ed it all up with the faux patina and a 43mm case.

View attachment 2171619

Hodinkee collab is also an abomination with the black case but it's the right size and no date is historically correct.

View attachment 2171633

Each of these models has some appeal but you'd have to take specs from each one to combine into a decent watch, IMO.
If you can't make up your mind over a Mk __, why not go for the original?

1713779683454.jpeg

Although, of the two models of MkXI, I much prefer the JLC; but the IWC version is much more numerous and easily found.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been down an IWC Pilot's rabbit hole recently. Still bummed that Foo's intriguing idea for a custom, vintage inspired Mark series never materialized. Damn you IWC! IMO this was the last of the decent Mark series watches. Standard 38mm MKXV ran from 99-mid 00's.

View attachment 2171631

Part of me thinks the MKXV is pretty much perfect (and dirt cheap) but every once in a while I'll think Hodinkee's collab or IWC's Tribute to the MKXI may work. I like the 40mm size of the Tribute that came out in '17: but the faux patina and that black date wheel are horrendous.

View attachment 2171629

They did a remake/tribute of the 3706 as well but f'ed it all up with the faux patina and a 43mm case.

View attachment 2171619

Hodinkee collab is also an abomination with the black case but it's the right size and no date is historically correct.

View attachment 2171633

Each of these models has some appeal but you'd have to take specs from each one to combine into a decent watch, IMO.

I’m not a fan of the faux patina but I am a IWC fan. I recognize that I have lower standards as it were in that I don’t care too much about the historical correctness of various models, I either like a model or I don’t. I also veer towards larger watches which, particularly now, is not where the market is but that’s part of what attracts me to IWC. They have some iconic models that works well in the >40mm case size. The Ingenieur, Aquatimer, Big Pilot, Portugusier are pretty much unchanged since introduced.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Passed an opportunity to purchase this yesterday, don't know how I feel about the decision, liked the watch but wasn't sure about the value proposition!

View attachment 2171785

I think I am the only person

View attachment 2171785

I think I am the only person that doesn’t “get” this watch.

Also, am I the only one that has issues with this site on their phone?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the faux patina but I am a IWC fan.
Feel exactly the same way. I still have a soft spot for IWC but like many folks feel they've lost their way in the design department. Every year I look forward to their releases but have been disappointed. On a positive note, the early 00's era IWC watches are super inexpensive and with the ETA movements can be refurbished by anyone.

I like the old square hands on the Mark series watches but the sword hands look great on the Big Pilot. Again, if I could combine certain elements of several models, it would be perfect.

39-40mm brushed case
Square hands/matte dial from the MK XV
Date is OK with a white date wheel
Minimal text, IWC or even maybe IWC Schaffhausen
100m WR

With all that said, I'd like to take a look at the 43mm Big Pilot with the blue gradient dial. Sword hands look OK to me on that model but I'm worried that 43mm is too big. Someone posted one here but I couldn't find it. Paging @Neville Southall, was that you?

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to give up on the NSO Santos idea and might just do something simpler like a tank. I can't believe how long the design approval stage is taking. I didn't even ask for much. Basically just a guilloche dial...

Then again might regret this later...lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics