• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

CLH03

Reaction score
I’ve had this summer suit for a few years and the pant length is starting to bug me, but maybe I’m wrong.. or just growing up.

I’m considering getting these length of an 1/2-1”.

Some people are telling me it’s fine. Some people are telling me it’s too short. What are you all think? I trust the communities judgment on here.
Lengthen 1/2-3/4” on a bias (back longer than the front) and think about losing that belt with the suit

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the tips. As for "slightly longer jacket," would you say something as minor as 1/4" or more like 1/2" to a full 1"? (bear in mind, I am 5'5" so a little goes a long way)

Ah, I should have been clearer there. The lapels appear to sit slightly away from my chest as opposed to laying flat from collar down to the button.

I'd say 2 to 3 cm, so a full inch. Don't know whether it's feasible though.

twuthetiger

Reaction score
Not bad. Hips and thighs need a bit more fullness, particularly on the pleated pair. Back balance really needs some work. I'd vote for more fullness throughout the leg to provide volume, as well as accomodating for forward hips and reducing the back rise a touch till balance is fixed. Would like to see with shoes on.
Here ya go. Took some with shoes on and also had my partner take one from the back.
IMG_2908.jpeg
IMG_2912.jpeg
IMG_2915.jpeg
IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_2917.jpeg
IMG_2920.jpeg

Markodevil

Reaction score
Thought I should get some general thoughts about the fit. Sorry for the angle, struggled a bit taking these myself.

Attachments

• 04.png
    04.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 204
  • 03.png
    03.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 190
  • 02.png
    02.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 107
  • 01.png
    01.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 142

Timmers

Reaction score
Thought I should get some general thoughts about the fit. Sorry for the angle, struggled a bit taking these myself.
This is a solid, classic fit. I would lengthen the trousers. Trouser balance (behind thighs/knee) is a little messy. You can pin horizontally just under the back waistband and determine if reducing the back rise is necessary.

potter AB

Reaction score
Due to be taking in the bomber (I posted about a while ago) to another tailor today.

My anatomy was blamed for the bump on my shoulder (image 4). Had an idea this morning to get my girlfriend to put it on. And the bump is still there
Your anatomy is not to blame. That is why you go to a tailor. As this tailor charges you more than anyone else in London, you'll have to confront him with the fact that you're not happy at all. He cannot leave it there. The result just does not meet your expectations. Nor his!
Your tailor once left that other tailor of yours, then immediately raised prices with a storytelling that you'd get the very best with him. You will have to confront him with that, sorry. I know this is not pleasant, but as a customer you will have to make that clear to him. He cannot beat about the bush nor can he send you away. You'll have to take that fight. It's in his own interest to come up with a solution. I understand that you go to your other tailor, but that is not the ideal solution. Wishing you all good luck!

Last edited:

loll8capital

Reaction score
Vintage polo coat from eBay. Should I try to have the sleeves tapered? Any other feedback?

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1479.jpeg
    IMG_1479.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 143

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vintage polo coat from eBay. Should I try to have the sleeves tapered? Any other feedback?
It is intentional for this sleeve to be full like this. It’s authentic to the original design of a split sleeve on this style coat. As it looks off to you because it looks too wide, it would look off if it was tapered as it’s not meant to be a trim sleeve.

loll8capital

Reaction score
It is intentional for this sleeve to be full like this. It’s authentic to the original design of a split sleeve on this style coat. As it looks off to you because it looks too wide, it would look off if it was tapered as it’s not meant to be a trim sleeve.
Thanks for the feedback. What about the overall fit?

mikealvaa

Reaction score
I would leave it as is and shorten the sleeves a bit. I wouldn’t compromise the fuller fit bc this is supposed to go over a suit, which I love bc it’s getting harder to find overcoats that actually serve their purpose these days.

They seem to be making them slimmer and slimmer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM shirt. I need to add 1/2 inch to the neck (16>16.5). Additionally, the next to the top button is pulling slightly and the button itself if pressing against my sternum.

Seeking advice on whether adjusting the neck size alone will address that, or if I need to adjust something else (chest, shoulder)?

IMG_0167.jpg

Johnmdub

Reaction score
Hi folks. Got this cashmere coat for very cheap the other day. Is a 42, and I'd normally be a 40, so I'm wondering if it would be worth having it taken in a bit
I do like the slightly oversized look these days, and I'm wearing a fairly soft shoulder sports coat in the pictures.
Wear as is (minus the slippers and jeans) or bring it to a tailor?
received_227370737112033.jpeg
20240131_090424.jpg
20240131_090415.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads