• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score

Toning the ruffles down, imo, would certainly help. I also might explore a turndown collar.  I'm not saying that's necessarily better, just that I'd try to draw or photoshop it or something to see.  I wonder if it might make the shirt stand out just a bit less.  I guess that depends on the popularity of wing collars at the events you attend.  My thinking is that the ruffles could then be the only part of the shirt making a statement, rather than having the collar announce the shirt, and then the ruffles pipe it in.

Yeah I wouldn't replicate that exact shirt. I just wanted to take the shirt body elements and apply them to a tuxedo shirt to create an interesting yet stylish alternative to the usual tuxedo shirt.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

to create an interesting yet stylish alternative to the usual tuxedo shirt.

The last person to do this successfully was the person who introduced pleats in lieu of a marcella bib. Many have tried in the intervening decades and trust us, it doesn't work.

I would assume anyone who showed up at a black tie event in a ruffled shirt was doing so as an attempt at humor; trust us, it's not a stylish look. It's really quite ugly and, in fact, truly detracts from the angular simplicity which makes black tie so elegant in the first place.

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score

This is more of what I had in mind. It seems that everyone is averse to the idea. I understand the desire for traditionalism when it comes to black tie, and I would normally never think about getting creative with it, but I still think a stiff front with small ruffles on the sides can look interesting and elegant. I also understand the very negative connotations that come with ruffles thanks to the 70's. I don't know, it seems that I'm in the wrong on this one. Must just be a personal difference with the majority against me lol.

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You see them at the old school European bespoke shirtmakers. I saw one at Charvet a few visits ago that was just finished for some Count or Prince. It was beautiful. They get worn mostly by the older gents at private affairs, though I have spotted them in the wild on the backs of various rockers and fashion types. Personally, I don't see a problem with them.

I suspect the ones you saw were for some sort of ceremonial use or livery.

On the other hand I wonder if the 70's style ruffle will ever return. Those were the days - big velvet lapels and bows and coloured ruffled shirts.

Last edited:

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is more of what I had in mind. It seems that everyone is averse to the idea. I understand the desire for traditionalism when it comes to black tie, and I would normally never think about getting creative with it, but I still think a stiff front with small ruffles on the sides can look interesting and elegant. I also understand the very negative connotations that come with ruffles thanks to the 70's. I don't know, it seems that I'm in the wrong on this one. Must just be a personal difference with the majority against me lol.

I have a light blue silk one that was made by Turnbull & Asser. I wear it with a black mohair 2x1 double breasted tuxedo by Edward Sexton.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger question is what kind of events he wears it to. It's one thing to just wear to cocktail parties which don't specify a dress code and another to use for true black tie functions.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you seen LabelKing?
I'm not sure........

Wait, is this the guy?

I keed, I keed, I'm a big fan of LK.

Lensmaster

Reaction score
I remember seeing pictures from the early 60's of white shirts with very small ruffles, two rows spaced out on either side. Not something I would wear but with an otherwise traditional tux it might be interesting, as long as you weren't wearing it to a very traditional event. And you have to be ready to be noticed.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing pictures from the early 60's of white shirts with very small ruffles, two rows spaced out on either side. Not something I would wear but with an otherwise traditional tux it might be interesting, as long as you weren't wearing it to a very traditional event. And you have to be ready to be noticed.

Some of these make appearances in Mad Men at an awards ceremony.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynno