• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much would it cost to get the rights to American Pharoah's shells...

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Yes, I have, but I am not too keen on the Madison pattern (how would you call this style with no seams at the sides?) and as I understand, that would be the only Women's boot option, Personally I look for something a little more semi-dress, a tad more rugged, without being a round, wide upturned-toe workboot. In that sweet spot, I like the look of the 1000mile boots, some Viberg boots but nothing I felt I can actually get my hands on in Cordovan and a size that fits me...
Those Carmina are stunning ladies boots IMO. I understand however, that is not the aethsetic you are looking for. Have you considered Crockett and Jones? They will make you a single MTO ladies shell cordovan boot in black, burgundy, brown or whiskey perhaps. http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/grace-tan-grain I like the above linked boots. Thanks.

minthe

Reaction score
Actually I don't think I could go with anything shelf-made anymore. The look I want is just too specific.

(Something like this:

If you have seen this boot anywhere, please let me know)

minthe

Reaction score
Those C&J are nice! I'll have to look into what options a MTO boot would give. Thank you!

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I don't think I could go with anything shelf-made anymore. The look I want is just too specific.

(Something like this:

If you have seen this boot anywhere, please let me know)

Those C&J are nice! I'll have to look into what options a MTO boot would give. Thank you!

Well, I don't know if this boot is exactly a match 100% but it is really close:

81ceb6baad15fdb42e580c137ce668d1.jpg

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/zena-truffle

minthe

Reaction score
Wow, you are an amazing resource! Thank you. I have contacted Crockett&Jones ... let's see what they say.

Cheers!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, you are an amazing resource! Thank you. I have contacted Crockett&Jones ... let's see what they say.

Cheers!

I hope this works out for you, because I seriously think Julian Boots would be a big mistake.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was only thinking how expensive his breeding fee must be! But of course, the shells...

Last year I went up to a friends horse ranch by invitation. He was walking me around showing me all of these amazing horses. At least half a dozen different breeds.

One of them was worth 60K he said. Many others 30-40K.

And as I was walking around looking at this dear man's horses, I kid you not, ALL I could think about was when the next one would kick the bucket so I could get another pair of shells...
uhoh.gif

Is this morbid?
eek.png

Then, I asked him how much he got for the horsehides when one of them died...He laughed hysterically...and said that horsehides were essentially worthless...

Then he said that there was a "Service" that came and disposed of the dead horses for free.....I guess they would....
smile.gif

I laughed inside. At that time I was working on a GMTO in cordovan.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I'm curious, why would Julian Boots be a mistake (pm if you prefer)?

I don't know if it is the fact that Julian are so bad as it is C&J are so good...

I actually prefer the English makers as a first choice in most instances.

My C&J are perhaps my favorites.

Others here can attest to the staggering quality of English made shoes.

@dddrees can expound a bit more. As can @rydenfan

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I'm curious, why would Julian Boots be a mistake (pm if you prefer)?

Lets put it this way.

For about the last three years I've been purchasing some of the better brands of RTW footwear available and I've never heard nor read that anyone considered Julian boots to belong in this category. I've not only spent hours and hours on this forum but numerous other forums and blogs from shoemakers and enthusiasts and never once has anyone mentioned Julian boots as being in the same league or even mentioning Julian boots in the first place. I've seen the brand, I just haven't heard anyone say anything good about them.

There is a review of a good number of the top RTW brands of shoemakers by the Parisian Gentleman. They mention from the least costly shoemakers like Allen Edmonds and Merimen to the most costly RTW shoemakers like Edward Green, Gaziano and Girling, John Lobb, and St Crispins. They dont however mention Julian Boots.

http://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2014...ons-the-2014-ready-to-wear-mens-shoes-review/

Lets say for the sake of argument that Julian Boots actually have their shoes made by one of the mid to high tier shoemakers. If this were the case don't you think you might save money by purchasing them directly from the actual shoemaker. On the other hand lets say Julian Boots is an actual shoemaker, then why haven't I ever heard of them being mentioned when I research the better shoemakers?

Your thinking of paying more than the average for a pair of cordovan boots. Do you like paying that much without knowing what you can expect to receive? Besides aren't you the one that said you heard mixed reviews? Do you really want to purchase something that expensive from someone with mixed reviews?

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of great RRL boots were made by Julian and all the pairs I handled were of nice quality.

Just because random internet posts do not mention them doesn't mean they are bad nor does purchasing instantly mean it's a big mistake. Plenty of small makers are no longer considered good as there is not enough group think to support a purchase?

And sure there's been bad stuff said about Julian (like Brett Viberg hinting work was partially outsourced to Mexico) but if you like the boots and you are getting exactly what you want then why not? Carmina doesn't make your style, single C&J mto is maybe 1200 and again not really a work boot style neither.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads