• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did not expect the weather would still work for this, I guess at least I can say $ well spent..., same Anthology coat just more CM this time

IMG_1489.jpg

TheRolls321

Reaction score
Thought you gents would appreciate this piece of nostalgia. Ralph Lauren Purple Label 100% Cashmere Trench Coat. This was when RLPL was English made so that means Chester Barrie goodness. Incredibly soft, thick, heavy, and has the telltale classic trench coat attributes. D-rings at the belt, adjustable leather fasteners, epaulettes, gun flap, buttoned pockets, metal hook collar, and of course English made. Was after an overcoat all winter and searched to no avail. As the saying goes...when you're least expecting it... Sized 38 but fits myself as a 42 with full kit underneath. Brand spankin' new. Even has its throat latch collar and extra set of buttons. If it cost $3,450 in the 90s, I don't want to know what cost a reissue may be today. Paid $1140 out the door. Have to wait a few more months to have a crack at it though. Would love to know how to tell its age apart from being from the 1990s. Cheers
Trench RLPL 1.jpg

Trench RLPL 2.jpg

Trench RLPL 3.jpg

Trench RLPL 5.jpg

Trench RLPL 9.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Purple label in that era almost never made in 36, I only found them randomly in my size from Japan (or if I got lucky the guy in Mansion used to tell me they would reserve a few piece for Ralph himself, and they would sell whatever he decide not to pick up)

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not “real” Astrakhan. For me, the real fur is harvested unethically. I have no interest in the real thing.

Certainly the real Astrakhan will have another look and another feeling, but the imitation is a good alternative, if you're fond of that fleece, as it's not ethical to kill animals for our vanity.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find old Astrakan coats, usually women's, in the thrift stores pretty regularly. It would be easy to scoop one off eBay, as they don't resell very well, and repurpose it into a collar or whatever.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find old Astrakan coats, usually women's, in the thrift stores pretty regularly. It would be easy to scoop one off eBay, as they don't resell very well, and repurpose it into a collar or whatever.
Less ethically challenging but not completely so. Think ivory sales.
I‘m happy with my cotton version as it serves its purpose well.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally get that. However, unlike ivory or sea turtle etc, I don't think it's illegal to sell astrakan, but don't quote me on that. I've never been flagged for it. I thrifted a bobcat pelt that I've meaning to make into a hood collar for years now and still haven't done it. Easier said than done. One day... 🤷‍♂️

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads