• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

what is on the roll looks different then what i have been given in the past.
it also could be the color of the photo on my monitor

It could very well be the coloring on screen. Otherwise, how does it look different to you?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That picture looks like mine too, down to the little stray bits of thread, variegation, and fuzz.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We'll see what the shirting looks like when I get it, but I'm thinking that it is not quite so vivid as in the photo.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly 4 years old thread on SG chambray (w/ pics) is here.

More here.

As for the OneShirt, here's what I would do:

Light blue SG chambray (would have to see it i person first) or what ever not too luxe end-on-end that had the right feel/colour

Medium spread collar, as it more often looks better than a BD with coat and tie (disclamer: not an americun) but no fancy double button collar like I believe you got on your BB BDs. IIRC the collar on your AMs looked nice, so probably just copy those.

Rounded barrel cuffs. As it sounds like you're not yet ready for the superior, understated simplicity of these I'm sure you'll go ahead with your single or double cuffs. But luckily these shirts wont last forever, so maybe you'll have seen the light on the next time around :D

Gauntlet button? Definitely, as shirts look cheap without them. And you don't have to use it. Very much a case of 'it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have'. If you *never* will wear these shirts without a coat I guess it really doesn't matter, but if you want to be able to comfortably roll up your sleeves (and not have a big gaping gauntlet when you don't), they have their place.

Placket or not? Doesn't matter much as it'll be covered by the tie, but for this kind of shirt I guess I too would go wíthout.

Agree on no pleats, but would try to see if I could get a satisfactory fit without darts.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think just the opposite of gauntlet buttons. They are on every single RTW French cuff shirt I've ever seen. The only way to go without seems to be bespoke, with gauntlets short enough they won't gape open. I like the more focused, simple approach. I think it adds up to being more elegant.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are Vox's SG chambray fabric "popover" shirts. Nice looking fabric

i-3GVZpb2.jpg

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Am I the only one who doesn't care about what Foo decides for his OneShirt :confused:

Not because I don't love and care about you foofy but because we already know that you already have your mind made up and will vehemently knock down any suggestions anyway, not that I would suggest anything because I don't really care what you decide to begin with. Its a vicious circle.

I laughed hard.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm hoping the actual chambray I get is closer to that cloudy, greyish blue than the more saturated blue in the photo I posted. We'll see.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think just the opposite of gauntlet buttons. They are on every single RTW French cuff shirt I've ever seen. The only way to go without seems to be bespoke, with gauntlets short enough they won't gape open. I like the more focused, simple approach. I think it adds up to being more elegant.

The only shirt of mine I can recall without a gauntlet button is a bespoke one, and I remember feeling that something was missing, so I got 'em on the following orders. Having short gauntlets will just make it really hard to roll up your sleeves past the elbow (as you should, if you've started rolling), if either the sleeves are fairly trim or if you have anything besides the slimmest of arms. I have RTW shirts *with* gauntlet buttons that are hard to roll, unbuttoned.

Also, leaving the buttons open are a good deal less sprezzaturally conspicious than doing the same with the buttons on a BD collar ;-)

Here are Vox's SG chambray fabric "popover" shirts. Nice looking fabric

This was the pic I was googling for that lead me to the two threads linked above. I remember when seeing Mina that she mentioned this one guy from the US that had asked if she could do a specific type of shirts and had then presented her with a stack of cloth for the purpose :)

Kei-bon

Reaction score

Having short gauntlets will just make it really hard to roll up your sleeves past the elbow (as you should, if you've started rolling)

:eh: is there a rationale for this bold statement? i've always used a "two and two thirds" roll: fold the whole cuff back, fold it again, and then once more, but not the whole width of the cuff, bringing it to just below the elbow. I don't think i want to go flashing my tired looking elbows--or looking at anyone else's ...

Anyway, I'm in the pro-gauntlet-button camp. I've never found them irritating in any way, and i pray i won't start to find them so after reading this thread.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really roll up my dress shirt sleeves anyway, so I don't care about gauntlet length. I do roll casual shirts, but then I don't care about a gauntlet button on those, or rather, I don't care about exposing what the gauntlet button covers up.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tony0o0