• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
2000 montrose probably only needs another 50 years. :facepalm:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

A couple of days ago one of the guys at work pulled a blinder on us that turned out to be a Pinot Noir (that shall remain nameless) that had been one of Wine Spectator's top five wines of the year. Guesses around the table, all from winemakers/winemaking staff: Grenache, Grenache, Zinfandel, Zinfandel, Zinfandel. Tells you something...

The public wants this type of wine so I don't blame producers for chasing the market.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes taking a snapshot and posting it is less effort than typing out the obscure other-languaged name of the wine. REEKS OF EFFORT.

Last edited:

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice.

Good choice! St. Anthony also has a good version of a Pettenthal Riesling which is very accessible right now. They have started replacing some of their Riesling vines in Pettenthal with Pinot Noir because the climate has changed so much there within the last few years.

BTW, the current (German) issue of VINUM has a "pro/con" horizontal bottle storage. A Prof. at Geisenheim states that the humidity between liquid and cork is sufficient to keep the cork moist. He also says that storing a bottle horizontally makes the cork absorb too much liquid and become stiff (which promotes leaking). I still haven't made up my mind about all this (pretty much discussed among my friends) but will try to make some storage experiments in my new cellar.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good choice! St. Anthony also has a good version of a Pettenthal Riesling which is very accessible right now. They have started replacing some of their Riesling vines in Pettenthal with Pinot Noir because the climate has changed so much there within the last few years.
BTW, the current (German) issue of VINUM has a "pro/con" horizontal bottle storage. A Prof. at Geisenheim states that the humidity between liquid and cork is sufficient to keep the cork moist. He also says that storing a bottle horizontally makes the cork absorb too much liquid and become stiff (which promotes leaking). I still haven't made up my mind about all this (pretty much discussed among my friends) but will try to make some storage experiments in my new cellar.

I've had Rieslings I like better but this one is very interesting. Nice interplay with the acidity. Got it for 15€ and have another bottle.

Aside from the (possible) advantage of keeping the cork moist, it's also a matter of practicability. Easier to store (w/r/t access) than vertically.

Last edited:

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey pio, would you get the 2009 chaine d'or or 2006 SCM from stefania? I imagine either will have to sit for a bit.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Hey pio, would you get the 2009 chaine d'or or 2006 SCM from stefania? I imagine either will have to sit for a bit.

You'll have to expand a bit for me. What's the SCM? Chaine d'or Chard, right?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Had a 1970 Montrose tonight. Still not ready.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This was a big hairy beast.

Very enjoyable though. Great nose but intense grip on the palate. No signs of sliding downhill at all.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

This was a big hairy beast.
Very enjoyable though. Great nose but intense grip on the palate. No signs of sliding downhill at all. Great nose but intense grip on the palate. No signs of sliding downhill at all.

Moar from me tomorrow.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the wine-of-the-night, to me at least, was the Krug. Wonderful richness and depth of flavor. I typically have a preference for the "brighter" Champs like TdC, Cristal, Salon, but having the opportunity to enjoy a Krug over the course of 30-45 mins. was really awesome. Would do again.

the P-F started out a little weak, if that makes sense, and then really opened up over the course of an hour. Also, at the start, i thought it was a tad hot at the back of the palate. One person (not Manton) agreed. After a while that aged white burgundy-ness started to show and it took on a minty and then caramely note. Very diverse at the end, consider me a fran.

The Montrose had that alluring aged wine nose to it, and like Manton said the palate was surprisingly tannic and gripping. Still, it was well balanced and approachable. I may prefer the '75 Montrose which I thought had a little more complexity, but that's just my memory thinking. The '70 still had some flinty goodness.

The Spatlese Riesling was excellent and ideal with desert, I suppose the only knock was the fact that it was still extremely young. Delicious now, but perfect in a few years.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member