• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

datsunfan

Reaction score
Found a couple of interesting things today
-Oxxford suit (46R)
-Trafalgar braces
-BB Irish linen button-down that fits great

A couple of weeks ago found two pairs of vintage Florsheim Imperials in my size. One pair of shell cordovan longwings and the other pair are captoe oxfords. They both need a little work but were only $1 each.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

pics? size?

bounce2.gif

I haven't measured it yet, but its tagged a 42, probably regular.

2hickey.jpg

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by datsunfan
Found a couple of interesting things today
-Oxxford suit (46R)
-Trafalgar braces
-BB Irish linen button-down that fits great

A couple of weeks ago found two pairs of vintage Florsheim Imperials in my size. One pair of shell cordovan longwings and the other pair are captoe oxfords. They both need a little work but were only $1 each.

if you want to sell that oxxford suit id be interested in seeing it

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
PLEASE. im interested depending on what it looks like.

Click for more pictures, showing details.

It's a bit darker in person than in the pictures, but other than that this is pretty much what it looks like. It will obviously look much better once I get it drycleaned and pressed.

If anyone knows about how much this thing is worth I'd appreciate it; I guess it retailed for around $3800, according to my weak google-ing skills. Not quite sure how recent it is but I've read much praise for the Piuma style online, compared to other boutiques Brioni models. Apparently it fits more like an Isaia or a Kiton than a normal Brioni, but I wouldn't know.
laugh.gif

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
^ Just meant that it seems there are more guys there looking for larger sizes so it might be easier to resell there.
Oh cool. Do you have to be registered for 45 days there like you do here to use the classifieds? nvm, you just have to have 25 posts. Was hoping someone here wore that size so i could trade them off. Few are pure cashmere, and theyre all mint.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might try ebay, in my fairly limited experience there's a strong higher demand for larger sizes there.

3tsan

Reaction score
Well my last post definitely wasnt the greatest. a bunch of polyester ties lol and low quality YSL stuff.
Hopefully this outing does better.
Here's what i picked up:
- Valentino Cravatte Tie
- a Harris Tweed 100% scottish wool sportcoat
- a Samuelsohn sportcoat
- and another yves Saint Laurent sportcoat, looks pretty recent with the inside fabric w/ YSL logos embossed into it.
-one Zegna Sweater
What i passed up:
a Canali sportcoat(it has a hole in the front though)
Another Gieves and Hawkes Bespoke for Jay Briggs coat( has stains in the front that looks if they will not come out)
a complete Emporio Armani suit

ill post photos later of the Bespoke piece to see if it's worth picking up still.

gmoney0725

Reaction score
So today was my first day "thrifting" after being heavily impressed by you all.

I really could have spent a lot longer there as the sizes weren't organized but there were SOOO many clothes....This is my first score:

- Brooks Brothers Makers shirt
- Brooks Brothers Sport shirt (dress - button up)
- 2 Brooks Brothers ties (one Makers)
- Cole Haan loafers with silver buckle type things

I definitely think I have found a new hobby. With my lack of experience, half the time I couldn't tell if what I was looking at was a quality name or just an entry-level department store brand. I suppose only time and experience will help that.

I saw a ton of Bill Blass stuff - are these in the same quality as BB?

I'm glad I found this site as there is nothing better than getting a great deal!

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
its been a while since my last post, but currently on a break from med school. Picked up a nice Gitman Bros shirt and coat from a company in Italy. Will have pics up soon, anyone recommend something other than imageshack. The coat is a keeper after I shorten it, but the shirt is up for sale.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
A couple nice things today, mostly vintage.

Last, a Botany 500 overcoat by Daroff. No fabric label, but from the hand I'd say it is at least a cashmere blend. Its a beautiful black and brown weave and in mint condition. Being a Daroff, I think it must go back to at least the 50s.

Are the Daroff Botany 500s the only decent ones?I saw a SC the other day that was tagged Botany 500 Couture,and it was half canvassed,but it's the only one like it I've ever seen.I think it was MTM because it had no size marked but detailed customer info.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmoney0725
With my lack of experience, half the time I couldn't tell if what I was looking at was a quality name or just an entry-level department store brand. I suppose only time and experience will help that. I saw a ton of Bill Blass stuff - are these in the same quality as BB?
Welcome. When you are not sure about a brand, just assume that it is an entry-level department store label. That way you will be correct about 99% of the time. Bill Blass is not highly respected here, but the same can be said of some of the products from Brooks Brothers. Brooks Brothers made in US oxford cloth buttondowns are highly respected, as are their ties, suits and sportcoats, chinos, etc. Modern 346 and imported items are less popular. Brooks Brothers is a solid brand, but not one that gets a lot of Wows on this thread.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3tsan
Here's what i picked up:
- Valentino Cravatte Tie
- a Harris Tweed 100% scottish wool sportcoat
- a Samuelsohn sportcoat
- and another yves Saint Laurent sportcoat, looks pretty recent with the inside fabric w/ YSL logos embossed into it.
-one Zegna Sweater

Those are potentially very nice finds.

If the G&H is cheap enough, and the stain is the only issue (no structural problems), it might be worth the gamble of a dry cleaning.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NWT black Danner Fort Lewis Boots #22110 size 10D US, 9.5 UK, 44 EUR from Goodwill. Most often used by police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members