• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sandfourman

Reaction score
Oh hey!
IMG20230705170602.jpg
IMG20230705170605.jpg

Oh.hey.
IMG20230705170608.jpg

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Yesterday was pretty busy. I started sorting through the electronics but got sidetracked with these. Looks like the guy taped a bunch of concerts he went to in the early 70’s. Sound quality is much better than I had anticipated. I’m pretty thrilled about these.

View attachment 1985909

View attachment 1985911

View attachment 1985913

View attachment 1985915

View attachment 1985917

View attachment 1985919

View attachment 1985921

View attachment 1985923

View attachment 1985925

View attachment 1985927

View attachment 1985929

View attachment 1985931 View attachment 1985933

View attachment 1985935
Awwww man. This stuff is like gold. Potentially unobtanium. I have a handful of bootlegs, and they are amongst my most treasured possessions, as let's face it: no-one else has them! My first career (well, the first that wasn't just random casual work) was as a BBC newsman, and my chief recording engineer used to bootleg all kinds of things: from hiding a Walkman Pro (I still have mine) in his jacket at a concert, to plugging into a sound board (that he was controlling and mixing), and everything in between, so I do have some amazing recordings. But the most wonderful thing is that I have broadcast-quality recordings of performances I actually attended.

But for concerts I did not attend, for me, the great joy of this kind of find is that it gives us entry into a different time, different place in a visceral way. Amazing.

And from a thrift/flip perspective, you have to believe that there's someone out there who was at that concert who would pay bonkers money for a memento of that show, especially if it was unobtainable elsewhere. The question is: how to figure that out? And where/how to post? And how to stop the artists' labels from filing suit?

You surely know this, but there is some concern with vintage cassette recordings that the tapes can degrade on first playing (aka the magnetic coating can desiccate and fall off), so every time you play a vintage cassette, you should be digitizing it at that moment "just in case". I kinda poo-poohed that advice at first, until I permanently lost a tape.

So yeah, amazing find, and hopefully there will be some real treasures in there. Awesome stuff! . . .

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point to note about the risks of playing vintage cassettes.

On the subject of older hard media - Do any of the vinyl collectors have a preferred plastic sleeve? I've got enough now that I should invest in a 100 or 200 lot of plastic slips but I imagine amazon has tons of options and who knows what's a good one.

mskis

Reaction score

On the subject of older hard media - Do any of the vinyl collectors have a preferred plastic sleeve? I've got enough now that I should invest in a 100 or 200 lot of plastic slips but I imagine amazon has tons of options and who knows what's a good one.
Any of the Mofi style plastic with rice paper insert sleeves seem to do really well. I bought these last and they are great.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like an amazing collection right there. Were concerts all recorded back then or could some be the only extant copies...?

The further back you go, the less of a chance that there is to have a recording of a performance. Back in those days, you had to lug around a portable cassette recorder or even a small reel to reel recorder into the show. Most folks didn’t do this, so the number of recordings are pretty limited (there are exceptions, like The Grateful Dead, who did not mind the fact that people were taping their shows). Then factor in the passage of time and how many of those tapes got thrown, worn out, etc. It is entirely possible that some of these tapes may be the only existing recording of those performances.

Is there a chance these were recorded directly from the soundboard? I wonder if the person worked for a venue or something?
That’s possible. I’ve listened to a couple and the sound quality was surprisingly good. I don’t know if he worked for the venues. From what I could gather, he was just a college student living in the SoCal area at the time. He was a musician, though. Great guitarist. I found some of his reel to reel tapes of some jam sessions he did.
Awwww man. This stuff is like gold. Potentially unobtanium. I have a handful of bootlegs, and they are amongst my most treasured possessions, as let's face it: no-one else has them! My first career (well, the first that wasn't just random casual work) was as a BBC newsman, and my chief recording engineer used to bootleg all kinds of things: from hiding a Walkman Pro (I still have mine) in his jacket at a concert, to plugging into a sound board (that he was controlling and mixing), and everything in between, so I do have some amazing recordings. But the most wonderful thing is that I have broadcast-quality recordings of performances I actually attended.

But for concerts I did not attend, for me, the great joy of this kind of find is that it gives us entry into a different time, different place in a visceral way. Amazing.

And from a thrift/flip perspective, you have to believe that there's someone out there who was at that concert who would pay bonkers money for a memento of that show, especially if it was unobtainable elsewhere. The question is: how to figure that out? And where/how to post? And how to stop the artists' labels from filing suit?

You surely know this, but there is some concern with vintage cassette recordings that the tapes can degrade on first playing (aka the magnetic coating can desiccate and fall off), so every time you play a vintage cassette, you should be digitizing it at that moment "just in case". I kinda poo-poohed that advice at first, until I permanently lost a tape.

So yeah, amazing find, and hopefully there will be some real treasures in there. Awesome stuff! . . .

That is a great point. I’ll definitely be having these digitized. As for value, I’d think a big record show would be your best bet. Not as great as an international marketplace like eBay, but I know artists still have people lurking on their flagging bootleg recordings of theirs. I had a vinyl copy of Neil Young’s 1972 performance at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and that got pulled about 3 times before I gave up (this was back in 2007 ish). Good thing too, because I ended up keeping it and really liking it. You’re right though, the value of these recordings to some folks could be off the charts.

I have all my albums in poly sleeves. I get mine from a local record store. They have them in bundles of 50 for like $5-$6. They’re 3mm, which I found to be the ideal thickness.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was that SMEG Toaster really there since 05/07/23?.. Or was it there since 07/05/23 lol

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5th July is the correct way.. you americans with mm/dd/yyyy is confusing.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member