• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to ask this but, since Derek has mentioned this maker recently, I was wondering if anyone had experience with RTW suiting from The Anthology—I like the look of this suit:

It has, according to the measurements, a good fit for me off the rack (5'7" 160 lbs so a slightly shorter jacket is nice). I've been looking for a summer suit in olive.

Thanks in advance!

@TheSuitBurnsBetter I think is roughly in your range size wise, and I know he has a very snappy SC from them
I'm 5'6" and 135 lbs and am typically around a 36S in US otr sizing. Here's Anthology's Ivory merino/cashmere sportcoat in size 44.

Length is perfect for me, but had to lengthen the sleeves by a half inch. It's a bit snug in the waist after lunch. For your size I'd say go for the 46.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can somebody fill me on on why Derek stopped poasting?
He said he didn't get a lot of enjoyment from poasting on SF anymore and decided to stop engaging. I think he's posted a few times about upcoming trunk shows but really that's all he's poasted the past few years.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He said he didn't get a lot of enjoyment from poasting on SF anymore and decided to stop engaging. I think he's posted a few times about upcoming trunk shows but really that's all he's poasted the past few years.

tldr; fighting with randos on twitter is not as bad as fighting with hobbyists here

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Random comment...

I appreciate how Derek commonly mentions non-elite brands (e.g., JCrew, Gap, Spier & Mackay) alongside discussion of much more elite stuff. With some fashion/menswear guys, they seem to be almost afraid to acknowledge the existence of these types of brands, worried it would detract from their gravitas or something. (Uniqlo seems to be the one exception of an inexpensive, mass brand that it's always ok to talk about.) Whereas Derek just kindof more honestly and holistically acknowledges and discusses the entire landscape of clothing options.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random comment...

I appreciate how Derek commonly mentions non-elite brands (e.g., JCrew, Gap, Spier & Mackay) alongside discussion of much more elite stuff. With some fashion/menswear guys, they seem to be almost afraid to acknowledge the existence of these types of brands, worried it would detract from their gravitas or something. (Uniqlo seems to be the one exception of an inexpensive, mass brand that it's always ok to talk about.) Whereas Derek just kindof more honestly and holistically acknowledges and discusses the entire landscape of clothing options.

I agree, I think when I became interested in menswear I fell into the trap of wanting the highest quality or 'best value' (i.e. highest quality to price ratio)...but one of the major lessons I've taken away from Derek is most of that is meaningless if you're not assembling coherent outfits with some sense of good taste or proper fit.

I think someone can rock a Spier and Mackay outfit and look better than someone who spends $10K on Brioni but doesn't know what they're doing other than who to buy from...

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
better than someone who spends $10K on Brioni but doesn't know what they're doing
Word...

1704987553311.jpeg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I imagine he's still around with a new account or just reading w/o logging in.
A while back (some months, a couple of years?) I recall a response to a comment of mine that was very like Manton in tone. A couple of words used were a giveaway. It was typically arrogant and bad-natured. I saw no point in responding. What was it under quill-n-colt ... pen-n-glock? Well, it was something of that mindset.

I rather like a comment elsewhere by Dieworkwear. "Michael Anton (Manton on StyleForum) is just a modern-day Joseph de Maistre. He covers up bad ideas with fancy prose. He's bloodthirsty, sycophantic, and regressive. He pines for "throne and altar." Imagine thinking you're outside of the ruling class with his background."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member