• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Franky

Reaction score
Really nice to see the PT boots in rare shell, but more importantly on TB no less. Not everything has to be Barrie! I hope more shops start to get creative with the TB last outside of indys.
Agreed, never had Barrie work for me so nice to see TB getting love.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Leisure Sunday. Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS.

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS - 2024-05-19 - 1.jpg

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS - 2024-05-19 - 2.jpg

Alden Color #8 Shell Cordovan LHS - 2024-05-19 - 3.jpg

Have a great Sunday all!

-Mike

Norwester

Reaction score
I can meet you half way Steve, they are from David Wood and yes, double leather soles. Unfortunately I can’t share side pic’s as they are already in flight to Aram to swap the brass hardware. In looking at the beauties that @MrDV recently posted, I was optimistic that I’d be fine with the brass. But upon further review, while all brass eyes would work, the brass hooks are a bit too much for my style of dress. Looking forward to putting some serious miles on them this fall/winter as I really love the TB vibe and the shade is just oh so good.
The hardware on the Baldwin boot from David Wood has a copper tone to it; more bronze than brass. Perhaps it's a result of cleaning off the color 8 topcoat, which is still visible around the base of the speed hooks. It looks great with the color 8. It's a shame that Alden does not offer antique bronze hardware like C&J have on their Whiskey Harlech; that would look quite nice with cigar as well. First world problems I suppose!

Baldwin4.jpg

CLH03

Reaction score
The hardware on the Baldwin boot from David Wood has a copper tone to it; more bronze than brass. Perhaps it's a result of cleaning off the color 8 topcoat, which is still visible around the base of the speed hooks. It looks great with the color 8. It's a shame that Alden does not offer antique bronze hardware like C&J have on their Whiskey Harlech; that would look quite nice with cigar as well. First world problems I suppose!

View attachment 2187229
They do offer 2 different colors of brass hardware. The original, and the newer version that they call “dark brass” which is on the Baldwin boot from DW

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
They do offer 2 different colors of brass hardware. The original, and the newer version that they call “dark brass” which is on the Baldwin boot from DW

I was going to chime in with this exact commentary as well! This is their newer eyelet offering although my pair has a bit of #8 love on it as well!

-Mike

Norwester

Reaction score
I was going to chime in with this exact commentary as well! This is their newer eyelet offering although my pair has a bit of #8 love on it as well!

-Mike
I reread your post on these boots and see that you mentioned the newer antique hardware. I will have to ask Aram if he can obtain the darker hooks.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2187229
I believe these have brass hardware, but I'll check out my pair and see if it's possible they used their new "dull gold" hardware on it that's actually less pronounced than the traditional brass eyelets and hooks.

These are very unique in that they have non tonal hardware on Color 8. I was told Alden's finishing process has them adding a final "finish" to Color 8 that would get over light colored hardware, requiring the factory to remove it by hand, greatly increasing the complexity of implementing brass hardware.

I just wish they would produce more make-ups like this! Really stands out!

single_origin

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the sizing of the Alden loafer Van last relative to the Crockett & Jones Harvard II last (376)?

I'm considering Alden 6245F, 6224L.

I tried the Harvard II (376 last) in "E" (standard) width, but it pinches my big toe (and causes pain) at the point where the side meets the top.

I wondering if Alden's standard "D" width would be slightly wider than the E width of 376 last. Or should I go for Alden's E width (i.e. one notch wider than standard).

For reference, I've been able to find a very comfortable fit with Carmina's Xim and Uetam EE lasts, which were wide enough at the toe while being secure at the heel. Both are EE width (i.e. one notch wider than Carmina's standard "E" width).

Last edited:

Franky

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the sizing of the Alden loafer Van last relative to the Crockett & Jones Harvard II last (376)?

I'm considering Alden 6245F, 6224L.

I tried the Harvard II (376 last) in "E" (standard) width, but it pinches my big toe (and causes pain) at the point where the side meets the top.

I wondering if Alden's standard "D" width would be slightly wider than the E width of 376 last. Or should I go for Alden's E width (i.e. one notch wider than standard).

For reference, I've been able to find a very comfortable fit with Carmina's Xim and Uetam EE lasts, which were wide enough at the toe while being secure at the heel. Both are EE width (i.e. one notch wider than Carmina's standard "E" width).

I own LHS at size 7.5E and 8D both fit me well.

Calf Harvard 7E fits fine but a bit tighter than the Alden stuff. Alden is wider for sure

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I believe these have brass hardware, but I'll check out my pair and see if it's possible they used their new "dull gold" hardware on it that's actually less pronounced than the traditional brass eyelets and hooks.

These are very unique in that they have non tonal hardware on Color 8. I was told Alden's finishing process has them adding a final "finish" to Color 8 that would get over light colored hardware, requiring the factory to remove it by hand, greatly increasing the complexity of implementing brass hardware.

I just wish they would produce more make-ups like this! Really stands out!

I am not 100% certain if they plan to do this combo with the Antiqued Brass and Color #8 or not. This run was originally slated to be Color #4 Shell Cordovan. Maybe? It is a nice contrast!

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member