• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair of Indys. Ridiculously comfortable out of the box.

Just wondering do y'all tend to put trees in them? Most of my mine don't fit! I noticed the vamp is quite low profile, which is fine for me since I have relatively flat feet (how do people with higher insteps manage to get their foot in?). The only tree that fits is my Alden ones for my LHS, but once its in it seems to get stuck and requires some effort to pull out. Perhaps because its new it hasn't quite loosened up yet.
Congrats on getting a pair of Indy's! Were they the 405 or 403?

What size are your boots and your shoe tree? I use shoe trees in all my shoes/boots and my 405 & 403 have no issue accepting a shoe tree.

Reaction score
Congrats on getting a pair of Indy's! Were they the 405 or 403?

What size are your boots and your shoe tree? I use shoe trees in all my shoes/boots and my 405 & 403 have no issue accepting a shoe tree.
Thanks! They are the 405. Loving them.

Indys are 8D and shoe trees S.

I think it probably just needs some wear to loosen up. And also the footbed is still quite textured which could be where the trees are gripping.

I was just surprised all my other trees couldn't slide in past the instep part.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They are the 405. Loving them.

Indys are 8D and shoe trees S.

I think it probably just needs some wear to loosen up. And also the footbed is still quite textured which could be where the trees are gripping.

I was just surprised all my other trees couldn't slide in past the instep part.
In my experience, the Alden shoe trees have a lower vamp than say the Woodlore split-toe shoe trees. This probably explains why your Alden trees fit, but your other shoe trees don't slide in past the vamp.

Now getting stuck could be the spring in the shoe tree needs to be worked a little to loosen itself. Jim from Alden SF always compresses she trees a dozen times or so to work it out before inserting into shoes, so I try to do the same.

alvintanwx

Reaction score
Hi all, need some Alden sizing advice. I’m interested in the Alden blucher and/or chukka in codorvan (Barrie last)

According to the Brannock device I am a 6EE. The sales staff recommended a 7D for me, which fits nicely in the width but feels slightly long. 6.5D is a bit narrow. Would a 6.5E be a better compromise? I’m just worried that the heel will be too large.

Also, any major difference in fit between a blucher and chukka?

Unfortunately, the store doesn’t carry any E width shoes to try on. If I purchase a 6.5E, it will be an online purchase which I will not be able to return.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

Last edited:

CLH03

Reaction score
Hi all, need some Alden sizing advice. I’m interested in the Alden blucher and/or chukka in codorvan (Barrie last)

According to the Brannock device I am a 6EE. The sales staff recommended a 7D for me, which fits nicely in the width but feels slightly long. 6.5D is a bit narrow. Would a 6.5E be a better compromise? I’m just worried that the heel will be too large.

Also, any major difference in fit between a blucher and chukka?

Unfortunately, the store doesn’t carry any E width shoes to try on. If I purchase a 6.5E, it will be an online purchase which I will not be able to return.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance.
The blucher fits me far better than the chukka. Chukka feels sloppy for some reason, even as the same size as my bluchers on Barrie last. If you have to pick, I’d rather have a shoe that’s nice in the width and a little long.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have another LHS question.

I'm torn between the D and the E width in the unlined snuff suede LHS. The E is fairly roomy, but almost too much so. The D is more snug, but my toes can still move a bit and it doesn't hurt.

Which size would you pick? Do the unlined loafers stretch a bit? If so, the D is probably my best bet.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I need to fill a hole in my shoe rotation that requires a loafer :) I've settled on the Alden because I mainly wear jeans and chinos but can also wear them with a suit if need be.
My sizing is follows
Brannock size and TTS are 10.5D

Grant stone Barrie last - 10D
Common Projects - 10
Spier and Mackay chukka - 10D although I have to wear sport socks

I know loafers are difficult to fit but would I be a 10D as well in loafers? Input appreciated

ac106

Reaction score
Gents,

I need to fill a hole in my shoe rotation that requires a loafer :) I've settled on the Alden because I mainly wear jeans and chinos but can also wear them with a suit if need be.
My sizing is follows
Brannock size and TTS are 10.5D

Grant stone Barrie last - 10D
Common Projects - 10
Spier and Mackay chukka - 10D although I have to wear sport socks

I know loafers are difficult to fit but would I be a 10D as well in loafers? Input appreciated

Barrie is a Alden last

Regardless, likely a 10 in Van. Can’t speak for other lasts

DJYello

Reaction score
snuff suede moc-stitch

IMG_4413.jpeg

CLH03

Reaction score

I'm torn between the D and the E width in the unlined snuff suede LHS. The E is fairly roomy, but almost too much so. The D is more snug, but my toes can still move a bit and it doesn't hurt.

Which size would you pick? Do the unlined loafers stretch a bit? If so, the D is probably my best bet.
They most definitely will stretch a bit.

DJYello

Reaction score

I Usually wear 8.5E Barrie Last but
Purchased 9.0D Van last LHS Suede, they fit great

Purchased 9.0D Van Last Moc stitch snuff suede, fit way too tight, exchanged for 8.5E

I feel the construction on the LHS has more give. And more structure even though both are unlined

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I Usually wear 8.5E Barrie Last but
Purchased 9.0D Van last LHS Suede, they fit great

Purchased 9.0D Van Last Moc stitch snuff suede, fit way too tight, exchanged for 8.5E

I feel the construction on the LHS has more give. And more structure even though both are unlined
Hah, I ordered a 9.5D LHS right before I read this. The 9D is a little tight, the 9E is a little wide/loose, so maybe the 9.5D will do the trick.

The Barrie in 9D works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads