• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

mr. magoo

Reaction score
I've been a Wilfred's customer for a couple of years but recently started going to Peppino's on Lex/60th for alterations.

I have found that the surroundings at Peppino's are less pleasant, but the knowledge is generally a bit higher. I began going there after taking a Borrelli coat there that I wasn't sure could be altered to my liking. They checked it out thoroughly -- the two most senior-looking fellows -- and finally agreed that I should return it and would not accept my business. I imagine several tailors would have taken the job and done it poorly.

Since then, I've been reasonably satisfied with the few jobs I've given them. And the prices are lower than many on the board have said. Recently when I asked for hand-sewn button holes on a jacket (which Wilfred's doesn't like to do) I was told "friend, we are a tailor, not a factory." I like the attitude.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently when I asked for hand-sewn button holes on a jacket (which Wilfred's doesn't like to do) I was told "friend, we are a tailor, not a factory."  I like the attitude.
Meaning they had no reservations about doing hand-sewn buttonholes for you?

mr. magoo

Reaction score
(mr. magoo @ June 21 2005,16:50) Recently when I asked for hand-sewn button holes on a jacket (which Wilfred's doesn't like to do) I was told "friend, we are a tailor, not a factory." Â I like the attitude.
Meaning they had no reservations about doing hand-sewn buttonholes for you?
Sorry. Yes, when asked if they would make hand-made button holes they said they would without reservations because they are tailors.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Has anyone taken an Oxxford suit to any of the tailors mentioned above? I'm expecting my first Oxxford in a few days and I'm not sure if I should give it to my local tailor. I'm even considering taking it to the Oxxford store if they accept suits purchased elsewhere.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
To Timeless Rider:

It never hurts to ask. The worst thing that the Oxxford Store could say is "no."

If they would do your alteration, then they might do it based on its labor rate which is cheaper than an independent tailor. Ask George Mattos, the manager, and mention my name.

BTW, the Oxxford Store is running a sale. If you make a purchase, then you may have a "chit" to ask them about making the alteration on your Barneys Oxxford.

BTW, many of the well known bespoke and custom tailors will do an alteration job on another tailor's garments. They tend not to advertise this service since their business is making and servicing their own garments. Some figure that this is way that a possible customer can try-out the tailor before committing to a full bespoke order. Some of these well known tailors will charge a labor rate which can run as high as $55 an hour or more in NYC. Therefore, you would only bring a high quality suit to them. Again, there is no harm in asking.

Cheers.

Mark Seitelman

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
j and the Mod Crew - can I request that this thread is pinned...NYC tailor requests come so often (far more than any other city) that it wouldnt be a bad idea to have this stuck at the top.

anyhow - just a thought

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
Yes make this a sticky. As i have said on AA, as in some of my other hobby forums...it think it would be could to have a review of tailors by price...eg >3K ...alterations....<3K--that way we have a libary source of reviews and opinions...

eg.- lower priced

gilberto
Alexis
tradudo
chipp/winston
ned

higher priced

covarto
rapehael

alterations

peppino
alexis
wilfred
leung...

Sytlists

kempton
kos
etc.

i dont know who monitors the board but it would save a lot of repititive typing....and would be a good service..

Buster

Reaction score
If we are thinking of making this the "official" NYC tailors/ alterations thread, maybe tgfny, the member that started the thread can update his original post with the names mentioned here ( until it converges to something agreed on most), just as BrianSD did for the denim. Then one can get the summary on the first page ( without having to search among pages and pages), and if interested in the details, always can look further in the thread.

Just a suggestion.

tgfny

Reaction score
If we are thinking of making this the "official" NYC tailors/ alterations thread, maybe tgfny, the member that started the thread can update his original post with the names mentioned here ( until it converges to something agreed on most), just as BrianSD did for the denim. Then one can get the summary on the first page ( without having to search among pages and pages), and if interested in the details, always can look further in the thread.

Just a suggestion.
I'll compile and update it shortly when I get a few free minutes. Pls specify which category each tailor should be in.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the only bespoke tailors who will take outside alterations are Logsdail and Raphael. Even then, better to call first and ask.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
To Timeless Rider:

It never hurts to ask. The worst thing that the Oxxford Store could say is "no."

If they would do your alteration, then they might do it based on its labor rate which is cheaper than an independent tailor. Ask George Mattos, the manager, and mention my name.

BTW, the Oxxford Store is running a sale. If you make a purchase, then you may have a "chit" to ask them about making the alteration on your Barneys Oxxford.
Mark - Thanks for the response. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. BTW the suit is from ebay, not Barney's, but is supposed to be NWT. I'll see when it finally gets here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads