• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread

btheodore213

Reaction score
That’s hard to say without being you, RTW fits me really well in general so I only go for bespoke for aesthetic reason, I know some guy is on the opposite spectrum where they can’t get the fit right in any RTW.

Most people are probably in between, if the RTW fit bother you enough and you think MTM can definitely improve it then go for it (now the catch 22 is how would you know, I guess that’s why you count Armoury SA’s eye)

now imagine this, pretend the RTW fit is perfect would you still want to scratch the itch on bespoke if yes then you might as well go for bespoke (but be ready for it being a bigger gamble and more involvement then order and done)
Helpful. Would probably just stay RTW if that is the assessment generally. Thank you. (Edit: RTW as compared to bespoke. But still not settled on RTW/MTO/MTM)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helpful. Would probably just stay RTW if that is the assessment generally. Thank you. (Edit: RTW as compared to bespoke. But still not settled on RTW/MTO/MTM)

RTW is what someone (Marc Cho, & the team) thought looked good for the season.

MTO is just rtw in your preferred fabric (you can do it better than Marc & co.)

MTM is a block rtw pattern that they adjust to best fit you. Perhaps they can do a little bit more than alterations tailors but not much more. But, it’s done to the same quality as the rest of the garment.

Edit: for completeness sake, bespoke is they make the pattern for you (pattern based on your body) and then they make adjustments for each fabric (called fittings)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armoury MTO don’t accommodate small tweaks (length etc)?
Idk, I’ve never ordered mto from the armoury, although I’m a fan of their aesthetic. I was just saying a general rule.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group:

I am interested in an RJ balloon wool sports coat and — having talked to the guys — understand that MTM is the way to go (for me). But I also understand that these are $2k+, which seems steep for what is essentially a modified RTW coat. I’m not as concerned about the price but have a bit of a preoccupation with the value proposition, and this is approaching Whitcomb&Shaftsbury or B&Taylor bespoke.

I like The Armoury and supporting their business generally, just wondering if this is a proper price given that I am not deep into menswear (though I like it a lot). Thank you!

- Note that I have ordered some of their pieces RTW and paid for my own tailoring. They seem to fit fine but the guys were of the opinion that there were a few points where MTM would make a real difference.

Length in back and then a collar adjustment, though the RTW I have were flush over the back and shoulders after I had them tailored slightly at Dashnor tailoring (sadly now closed).
Not much to add that hasn’t already been said. But a few things to consider.

Balloon cloth is exclusive to RJ, but there are similar cloths out there….

If RJ RTW fits you decently with a few tweaks, have you thought about/priced MTO (including the after purchase tailoring) vs the price of MTM?

At the end of the day, as a previous poster said, if you can afford and like it then there’s your answer.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been addressed at some point, but I'm too dumb/lazy to sort out the search method:
1. Are Ring's model A odd trousers a lower rise than with suits?
2. And are the Model B trousers lower than both, rise wise?

jeremygo

Reaction score
I know this has been addressed at some point, but I'm too dumb/lazy to sort out the search method:
1. Are Ring's model A odd trousers a lower rise than with suits?
2. And are the Model B trousers lower than both, rise wise?
Not sure for #2 but I’m pretty certain my model A odd trousers are the same rise as the pairs that came with my suits.

Reaction score
I recently bought a RTW RJ suit, and while I the suit, the trousers are a more tapered than I would like in the thigh.

Are The Armoury Model 3 suit trousers more straight in the leg than RJ RTW? Looking to get a new suit this fall and am unsure if I should go back to my local store to get another RTW RJ suit or to go through The Armoury for their specific model.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads