• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Target Blazer..Hella cheap and pretty damn good

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benchan
That's consider a jacket of short length? Doesn't look like it on the photo. This one is another good alternative. and it has working button holes as well. http://www.uniqlo.com/Items/u49281/image/u49281.jpg
that looks cool too. yea mine is on the shorter side....the bottom of the body hem is about even with the sleeves. It does look a bit longer on the website. It could be becasue I am wearing a small so it was cut shorter to accomodate a shorter person, but I'm not *that* short (5'10-5'11 on a good posture day) so it probably ends up looking shorter on me.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
dude, downtown LA... $99 suit. free tie, shirt AND socks. BAM
biggrin.gif

They exist here too. It's like $200 for two suits and all the accessories except shoes. Problem is you cant get them with less than 5 buttons and normal lapels or at a regular length.
crazy.gif

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that blazer over the weekend. At $35 and machine washable with a recommendation it would've been hard not to! Also, my wardrobe has a decided imbalance of wintery sportcoats to summery ones.

I thought the construction, for the money especially, was pretty decent. I've seen unconstructed cotton summer sportcoats from Prada and others that were made about as well, though two of the ones I saw had clear pulling from where the spare buttons were attached so I would snip those off if I were you. It seems to me that what you guys are calling short is the normal length for my body. I'm fairly short waisted and long legged, 6'1" with a 34" inseam.

Alas, disregarding price it was not for me. The large was too big and the medium pulled too much when I buttoned it. I already have a blue (albeit windowpaned) cotton barrel-shaped sportcoat from Varvatos. So not for me, though I can see why it would appeal to others. If Target does more of this kind of stuff, they could be serious competition for H&M and others.

*I don't buy that good fused stuff can be made, simply because I haven't seen any. My closet has a few "high end" (Armani Collezioni, Zegna Soft, Paul Smith London, John Varvatos, Burberry London, Rene Lezard) jackets in it that are fused, and there's such a clear difference between putting one of them on and putting on a nice canvassed jacket. Also, isn't Costume National stuff all full-canvas? My only CN garment, a black sportcoat, wore out before I knew the difference because I wore it almost every day for 18 months.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Actually, fusing technology has gotten to the point where very good fused garments can be made. As with many things, there is no unambiguous answer. Whether a fused garments looks and feels cheap and shoddy or not depends to a large degree on the material used, and in nearly all cases, "half canvassing" which was developed in response to the trendiness and perceived superiority of "canvassed suits", is less desirable than a fully fused suit. I wrote a longer piece about this that was lost during the crash, but the gist of it was that for heavier, winter-weight, fabrics, whether the garment is fused or not is often irrelevant, while for a lighter weight fabric, full canvassing is most desirable, and half canvassing least, because the fused parts, especially at the quarters, "pull" at the rest of the fabric. Moreover, whether a jacket is fused or canvassed matters not one bit unless the quality of the cloth itself is good - something that has nothing whatsoever to do with the count (e.g. a Super 120 is not necessarily superior in *any* way to a Super 100).

How do I tell if a suit is fused?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
How do I tell if a suit is fused?

Hey dude, there are about a million threads on this in the Mens Clothing forum. A quick search should turn them up... Essentially, by touch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads