• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum & Yuki Matsuda Interview: Tell us Your Questions!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
yuketen-yuki-matsuda-interview-1.jpg

The Styleforum Sessions Podcast Presents Yuki Matsuda of Yuketen & Monitaly

Hey guys!

This coming Sunday, I'll be interviewing Mr. Yuki Matsuda at his home. He's the director of Meg Company, which includes Yuketen, Monitaly, Chamula, and Epperson Mountaineering.

Yuki is a visionary and one of the most dynamic designers in the USA. He forges his own path without ever compromising on quality and artisanal craftsmanship.

If you guys have any questions that you'd like answered, please post them up here! We have an interview prepared, but we'll be asking select user-submitted queries at the end of the session. I can't guarantee that we'll ask all of the questions, but we'll try to get to as many as possible.

Thanks!
Eva from Epaulet

jimney

Reaction score
I think he owns the factory/workshop he uses for footwear in Maine. I’d be interested in whether he bought an existing one or set it up himself, and what that process was like. I’d also be interested in what it enables him to do that he wouldn’t be able to with a manufacturing partner.

if he doesn’t actually own the factory please disregard 😅

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitchdown boot podcast did a Yuki Matsuda interview recently that's obviously more footwear-oriented but still a good listen.

Personally, I'm interested in the process he uses coming up with new projects - especially since he has such a huge spectrum of things he makes. Does it start with an opportunity - for example, Yuki mentioned a friend might tell him he should check out "X" factory, and then go from there once you find out what they can offer? Or does it usually start with a specific idea and then you pursue someone who can produce a pattern and make it?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I have so many questions. Thanks for the tip on stitchdown, @d4nimal , are there any other pods with Yuki that I should check out? Iirc he hasn't done TF or Blamo yet.

Some things that I'd love to know, and piggybacking off of d4's question and delving more into the product side...

- Megco seems to have such a unique and specific design language. So many companies do "vintage with a modern twist" but it seems like Monitaly specifically does "modern with a vintage twist". How would Yuki describe the design language that you strive for? Especially since a single season can have inspiration from both militaria and 80s/90s acid wash.

- How does Yuki navigate the thin line between being inspired by past object and modernity?

- How do you know when a piece is just right or ready for production, or not? Can you give an example of something that you decided not to use?

- Are there any modern brands that you take inspiration from?

- Are there any fabrics or techniques that you haven't used yet and are excited to try in the future?

- How do you think about gender when it comes to your clothing? At this point, my partner has more monitaly pieces than I do, and she tends to grab a lot of my pieces as well, especially outerwear (the bat coat specifically). I also see a ton of people in Japan treating your clothing as unisex, which is so rad.

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I have so many questions. Thanks for the tip on stitchdown, @d4nimal , are there any other pods with Yuki that I should check out? Iirc he hasn't done TF or Blamo yet.

Some things that I'd love to know, and piggybacking off of d4's question and delving more into the product side...

- Megco seems to have such a unique and specific design language. So many companies do "vintage with a modern twist" but it seems like Monitaly specifically does "modern with a vintage twist". How would Yuki describe the design language that you strive for? Especially since a single season can have inspiration from both militaria and 80s/90s acid wash.

- How does Yuki navigate the thin line between being inspired by past object and modernity?

- How do you know when a piece is just right or ready for production, or not? Can you give an example of something that you decided not to use?

- Are there any modern brands that you take inspiration from?

- Are there any fabrics or techniques that you haven't used yet and are excited to try in the future?
Damn these are good questions. +1 would love to hear his thoughts on these as well.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @d4nimal. I've always loved my Yukes and was stoked when they finally ventured away from the hardcore heritage footwear with the 70s loafers - ended up with 3 pairs 😁, I love the exaggerated horsebit.

Rookoobay

Reaction score
on the podcast he mentioned touring across the country many times in bands. what bands was he in and what did he play/do? did that have any impact on starting Megco?

next years penny loafers look soo good, can't wait.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of the questions guys! I was able to run the majority of them by Yuki, and he was super happy about all of the enthusiasm for this interview.

I'm going to work on getting this edited ASAP, and with luck, we can have it published and ready by the end of the week..

IMG_2309 copy.jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of the questions guys! I was able to run the majority of them by Yuki, and he was super happy about all of the enthusiasm for this interview.

I'm going to work on getting this edited ASAP, and with luck, we can have it published and ready by the end of the week..

View attachment 1818076

Thanks, Eva. Can't wait!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for putting up the pod! Listening to it now during my commutes to/from work.

If I could leave one constructive criticism, it's that the audio seemed to be fairly low quality, at least on Yuki's end, and sounded distorted and machine-y, if that makes sense. It was kind of distracting to try and tune out.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynbeoordeling