• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southwest Style, Decor, Food, Travel, Arts & Culture Thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If contemporary ceramics are your thing, go see Kimi at Whiskey & Clay or Modern Folkware at the Loretto hotel. Modern Folkware is more MCM where Whiskey & Clay has a unique sandy texture. She does ceramics for many of the high-end hotels and restaurants. Both are true artisans and not just hippie stoners who throw pots. 😁

tweedlover

Reaction score
You are packing a lot of fun in on your trip. One suggestion, skip Old Town ABQ and go to https://lospoblanos.com/ for lunch or dinner.
Unfortunately I don’t know where you can see potters at work. However the most highly regarded Indian ceramics dealer in the country is right in downtown Santa Fe, the Andrea Fisher Gallery.
The Tesuque(sp?) Market still around Gus? Both times I've been to Santa Fe I've gone over there for a lunch of their green chili stew with tortillas. Loved that stuff.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tesuque(sp?) Market still around Gus? Both times I've been to Santa Fe I've gone over there for a lunch of their green chili stew with tortillas. Loved that stuff.

yes, the Tesuque Village Market is still around and more popular than ever with those in the know to get away from the busy downtown and to enjoy authentic New Mexican food and Margaritas.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMGP6573.JPG
micaceous pot with lid .

a traditional , functional pueblo ware ; pit fired of a mica earth which gives a distinct shimmery surface and tempers the flavor of beans etc

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1867963
micaceous pot with lid .

a traditional , functional pueblo ware ; pit fired of a mica earth which gives a distinct shimmery surface and tempers the flavor of beans etc

I attended the Winter Indian Market here in Santa Fe a week ago and saw a variety of these pots for sale but without the carved decorative pattern on yours. They are still very popular in this area for everyday cooking of beans. It's below 30 outside right now so the thought and aroma of simmering beans in the kitchen is making me hungry.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I woke up to this view yesterday morning. The peak is Chicoma Mountain an ancient volcano located north of Los Alamos and part of the Jemez mountain range west of Santa fe. The Native Americans consider Chicoma sacred and non-natives can only access it with a native. Indigenous people have lived in this area for thousands of years and considered Chicoma the center of the world, or as they say (translated) "The Center of All".

I never tire of this view.

IMG_0653.jpeg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the great ski areas in North America known for it's light, fluffy powder is Taos Ski Valley. Just 20-30 minutes outside of Taos is this beautiful resort with several hotels and condos. We stay at The Blake, right at the base of the lifts.
IMG_1093.jpeg

DC0729EE-AECB-4A6E-A947-FD7D3E145E18.jpg
IMG_1073.jpeg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you can't come to Santa Fe you can check out a friend of mine, Don of Chiperta Trading Company through his website https://www.chipetatrading.com/ . He deals in mostly historic era (early) Navajo cuffs, necklaces and rings. His profits go to supporting Native American causes, especially scholarships.

Here is Ian Anderson (https://fromsqualortoballer.com/ Blog) meeting recently with Don as he shares the story and history of Navajo silver work. Don is an excellent source of authentic Native American jewelry.

IMG_0928.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The annual Santa Fe Rodeo. The guy sitting next to me from Oklahoma asked me, "How many rodeos have you been too?" When I said "one", he shook his head in disbelief.

IMG_1782.jpeg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My visit to Pitti in January and was surprised to see so much Southwest influence in the attendees and in new products being shown for fall. The romance of the American Southwest continues!
IMG_3301.jpeg
IMG_3244.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks Gus, this is a really great thread I'd missed the first time around! I've been to NM just once, back in my early 20s on an ill-advised and spur of the moment, 4 month road trip with my then girlfriend. Need to get there again!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks Gus, this is a really great thread I'd missed the first time around! I've been to NM just once, back in my early 20s on an ill-advised and spur of the moment, 4 month road trip with my then girlfriend. Need to get there again!

If you head this way again, let me know and I can send you my "friends & family guide" 👍

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About an hours drive from Santa Fe and up near Los Alamos, NM F89F4BD5-61F4-4C73-9A97-4AF5C7CDD54C.jpg IMG_2372.jpeg IMG_2369.jpeg IMG_2358.jpeg

is Bandelier National Monument. Set in a canyon are ancient cliff dwellings, most tiny caves, where Ancestral Puebloans, an ancient Native American culture, lived around 1000AD. Man, this area is full of fascinating history and cultures.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
North of Santa Fe is a very special place, Taos, New Mexico. The area is filled with a rich mix of history, arts and culture. A favorite place to visit is the Pueblo de Taos where Native Americans have lived continuously for over 1200 years.
5083CE65-4FD5-4EBA-8DB8-E8DE6066010A.jpg
CE12A59B-29BF-41A7-8599-99FF9F52E928.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads