• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving Cream Question

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's taken me about 4 years to get through 3 tins of Proraso foam. I'd been using the soaps from Santa Maria Novello before that. The effect is comparable.

Fear and Loathing

Reaction score
I think the biggest upgrade to your shaving isn't going to be what you spread on your face, but what you hack your hairs with. That Gillette-Fusion-Power-Extra-Super-Special-17-Blade-Pro-Plus monstrosity needs to go. Lift and cut is terrible for your shave and terrible for your skin. Get a nice gentle double or single-edge razor and learn to use it. Smooth shave and healthier skin.

I grew up shaving double-edge (my dad was old-school) and around ten years ago I switched to single edge... not straight-edge, but a new type of razor that uses Feather "Artist Club" blades. Quite a few manufacturers make them now. You get the benefits of a double-edge razor with the smoother shave of a sharper straight-edge blade, since Artist Club blades were originally designed for Feather's line of folding sanitary straight-edge razors for barbers.

To the original question, I used to %$# with bowl lathering, then face-lathering, and now I usually can't be bothered- mornings are hectic, and it has become less a ritual of "finding my zen" and more "this is making me late". So I picked up a couple of cans of Proraso and La Toja, and haven't looked back. Forgetting the ritual and the luxe factor, both function just as well as the most perfectly whipped bowl of whatever, applied with the finest silvertip badger brush. I switch it up between the two cans every few months to keep things interesting.

Oh, last thing- don't buy a OneBlade. Garbage.

Last last thing- if you do experiment with the wet-shaving route, find yourself a nice synthetic brush. Badger feels great on the face, but it needs to soak awhile before it can produce a good lather, and it takes a long time to dry when you're done, necessitating a stand to hang it from, or the knot (the bundle of hair attached to the handle) will end up deformed. The new synthetic brushes are really, really good. They feel essentially the same on the face, lather immediately, and dry nearly in minutes, so they always keep their shape, even if left to dry on their side.

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's taken me about 4 years to get through 3 tins of Proraso foam. I'd been using the soaps from Santa Maria Novello before that. The effect is comparable.
I can vouch for how long they last, but took the idea to a bit of a ridiculous level.
My wife, for her Phd, did some research in Florence for a while. Proraso is sold there in supermarkets, for about 25% of what it costs here. I took the entire shelf with me back to the Netherlands, which was 12 tins. That was 2014, I think the last tin is going to be opened this fall..

I shave with a merkur DE razor. Will be buying a Muhle in the very near future as a gift for myself, might even try their soap once the last Proraso runs out.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using Proraso as well but the tube one. Is there a difference with the tin?
To be safe, I was referring to these:

Which is a ‘solid’ block of soap. So you’ll need to work up some lather with a bit of water and a brush. It’ll last a lot longer though.

The tubes are somewhat halfway between the pressurized soap in a can and the solid block I’m referring to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads