• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

91 degrees in Beijing and wearing The Aoud by Mancera Paris. The dry heat compliments these otherwise rather rich Middle Eastern scents.

I just got a new bottle of Montale Black Aoud yesterday, which is one of the quintessential rose-plus-oud fragrances, so it's quite a pleasant coincidence you would "pop in" in.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

D'oh. I didn't wear Leather Oud, I wore Colonia Leather (AdP).

Anyway, SotD L'Air du Désert Marocain. First time wearing it, just applied it. I'm enjoying the opening.

Have you ever tried Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia? Leather and gasoline and axle grease to my nose.

But many of those fragrances have too much crossover with Knize Ten, to my nose. Cuir Ottoman, Cuir Mauresque - they are very good (especially the Cuir Ottoman) but don't warrant a purchase because I feel that everything is covered by Knize Ten, including Nostalgia.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Encens Mythique d'Orient. This is a lovely rose and ambergris accord with pepper on top.
SOTD: Patchouli Imperial. An excellent patchouli, similar in quality to Coromandel. It's more aromatic, though. Not at all a hippie patchouli.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like I get compliments on Patchouli Imperial about as much as on Coromandel. Which is a lot.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you ever tried Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia? Leather and gasoline and axle grease to my nose.

Never heard of it or the house before.

Reflection Man as SotE. Vanilla. Musc. Ylang-ylang and such. Woods. Pretty good. Slightly feminine, but definitely appropriate for most men.

Reaction score
What's better coromandel or imperial patchouli? I have coromandel and was thinking of another patchouli fragrance to add to my collection. Today wearing Dior Cuir Cannage.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ They are so close in quality, but I prefer Coromandel by just the tiniest bit.

Have you tried George Sand by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier? It was a limited edition, so it's very rare, but it's a fantastic patchouli that's different enough from Coromandel to warrant adding to your collection.

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange is also worth a try. It's much easier to find.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^ They are so close in quality, but I prefer Coromandel by just the tiniest bit.

Have you tried George Sand by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier? It was a limited edition, so it's very rare, but it's a fantastic patchouli that's different enough from Coromandel to warrant adding to your collection.

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange is also worth a try. It's much easier to find.

Very good suggestion, and it's great to hear Patchouli Imperial is considered on par with Coromandel, which is just a phenomenal fragrance. It's also worth considering getting a small 33 mL bottle of the discontinued, yet inexpensive and easy to find, Balenciaga Pour Homme (with the green marbled plastic cap) - it's just a beautiful, deep, rich, patchouli heavy yet has all its cracks filled in with brilliant perfumery. There's a discussion on Basenotes, involving Luca Turin, where this fragrance has an oud component and no one seems to notice because it is so well-integrated as the patchouli. Brilliant perfumery.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, I have certainly not noticed oud in Balenciaga pour Homme!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Never heard of it or the house before.

Reflection Man as SotE. Vanilla. Musc. Ylang-ylang and such. Woods. Pretty good. Slightly feminine, but definitely appropriate for most men.

When you go to Florence, this must be a place where you visit, and commit at least an hour because it is a church who's ran an apothecary since the Middle Ages and carries a large range they have created over the many years. And I'm pretty sure they are all eau de colognes and all have a a lighter Italian touch compared to French fragrances. My favorite is Tabacco Toscano.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SOTE is Eau Rose by Diptyque. It's a lovely bright, woody rose with litchi.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche today. I found a FB of this, in box, in a flea market. It’s not the ideal scent for the wintry weather we’re having, but I am impressed by its longevity, still detectable on wrist after about 12 hours. It had a kind of root smell early on, but that has faded and I’m left with a faint powdery sweetness. When the weather gets better this will see more airtime, I think.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ that's one I just never really related to. Seems more like the perfumer's indulgence than something commercial so I'm really surprised it even made it to retail. Basically a dark bitter green rooty smokey plant thing. I never cared for it, although on rare occasions when someone wanted something vetiver like but darker I showed it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sona Umar