• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sawyer of Napa shearling

Jeff James

Reaction score
Hi Could you tell me if a XL is very large I would normally take a size large suit i.e 40" - 42" Jacket European size?I have a chance of purchasing a Sheepskin coat from,the sleeve measurement is 26" from top of sleeve to cuff.

Many thanks
Jeff

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Sizing is hard to predict. I have a 42 (pictured in the OP) that I would consider snug for a 42. I recently bought a tagged 40 that I had to give to my father because it was so crazily huge. You need to ask them for a pit to pit measurement, although remember that with the interior shearling takes up quite a bit of room.

Robert Rod

Reaction score
I actually have a coat made by them purchased about 20 years ago, still looks like new, still fits and warm as all get out. I purchased it during the off season in Fort Lauderdale at a place called Peter Glenn of Vermont (they have a number of stores and still in business). At that time it sold for about $550.00 and I paid $250.00. In today's market it would probably cost $1000 to $1200. Hope that helps.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thrifted a made-in-Korea Sawyer today. Not shearling, but suede with part quilted, part wool lining, in a duffle style with hood. A truly fabulous coat, especially for what I paid, but I would have left it had I noticed country of origin tag before making the purchase--figured Sawyer equaled USA, so that's my bad. Oh well. It fits and the wife was impressed, which is hard to do. Alan is right about weird sizing. This one is tagged medium, which is bigtime vanity sizing, me being an honest 44.

Last edited:

none

Reaction score
I didn't know they were out of business........ I have a beautiful leather/pig skin sleaves coat from them that i bought back 15+ yrs ago for $850.00 That is in perfect shape to this day and everytime i were it some one asks me were i got it. It is Medium Brown Body/ Dark Brown Sleaves/ Med Green Flap up the front. Dark Brown Sleaves are made of Pig Skin and very soft. Nice coat you have thier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what you payed for it but Proabley a Bargin...................................... Phil

acbaines

Reaction score
Hello All,

I hope this reply reaches all who reads it doing well. I came across this thread doing a search for Sawyer of Nappa Shearling coats. I recently purchased one on Ebay, and was struck of the level of quality and workmanship from the photos offered in the auction. I have included a few here for evaluation. Any comments would be very welcome.

Best regards,

Acbaines

jeff T

Reaction score
I have a Sawyer shearling coat I bought at Kerrs's in Beverly Hills about 1973 (40 years old this year) and it is still in almost pristine condition. I had to re-sew the horn buttons due to disintegration of the thread used , but otherwise it's a wonderful , very warm coat. The shearling lining on the inside of the pockets is especially nice in cold weather. You can't go wrong. Sorry to learn on this website that they've gone out of business.

Nina S

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank you for the excellent information. I was thrift store shopping today and spotted this wonderful shearling coat on the rack... the labeling said XLG and I normally would have passed it off but the construction was fabulous and thought I'd give it a second glance. I am assuming my coat (yes, I snapped it up) must be quite vintage as I wear a size 6 and this full length beauty fits me like a glove. My girlfriend and I thought to Google search the company and so far, your post was the most informative.

herrick9

Reaction score
No disresact to your "reliable" resources but Sawyer once upon a time was at the high-water mark of better Shearling coats in this country...

herrick9

Reaction score
Sounds like the meas. is wrong or was taken from the wrong postion...Should go from the nk. seam across the shoulder and down to the end of the cuff...

Rota

Reaction score
Hi
I have a Sawyer California Spring Lamb coat, that I acquired for free. Can you please give me an estimate or ideas as to the cost of this coat? I can't find a size, but it's in pretty good condition. I wear a size 6-8 and it fits me like a glove. I'm attaching photos of it.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon.

Thank you.

20181122_100641.jpg

20181122_100726.jpg

20181122_100714.jpg

20181122_100749.jpg

20181122_100811.jpg

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
How did they run size-wise? I’m between a 40/42? Should I go up or down a size?

I formerly sold Sawyer of Napa outerwear for years in Upstate New York. Sawyer shearlings were generally considered the best domestic maker of shearling coats. Company was in business from the late-1800's to their demise in the early 1990's. They were located on Coombs Street in Napa, CA (tanneries, production area, warehouses, ofices...buildings are still standing, but are now parceled out office space). The EPA (and other special interest groups), along with rising manufacturing costs, finally killed them off due to the chemicals/wastes resulting from the leather tanning process.

The company tried to adjust by sourcing off-shore tanned hides and emphasizing lambskin jackets and coats (non-shearling), made in Korea. This staved off the inevitable for a few years, until their California plant closed and their machinery was sold and exported to India.

The name has changed hands and is dusted off every so often by one firm or another, but the coats are not US-produced; they are not the genuine item that was produced in Northern California.

You can spot a Sawyer pretty easily, as they used larger, higher quality pelts (California Spring Lamb...big panels/less seams), high quality stitching (not this wrapped stitch crap that is a telltale sign of many imports), horn buttons (though many accounts opted to use leather or plastic buttons). Not a stiff coat, but usually a bit heavier shearling than what today's tastes dictate. If you like old school shearlings, you can't do better. Often found on e-bay for a song.

If anyone has any questions on their coats prior to an e-bay bid, feel free to pm me...I'd be happy to help. I'm pretty familiar with their line and still wear them.

Regards,

harrycoverts

patelsd

Reaction score
It depends on how you want to wear it. I have one in a 42 thats big for me and I usually take 42L in tailoring. It looks good for a loose, drapey fit, but its not a traditionally appealing silhouette.

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
It depends on how you want to wear it. I have one in a 42 thats big for me and I usually take 42L in tailoring. It looks good for a loose, drapey fit, but its not a traditionally appealing silhouette.
Understood. It’s a bit confusing because a seller told me that if I take the 40 even wearing a sweater would make it fight too tight
Thank you for writing

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member