• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Researching a Patent

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
To the local legal eagles...how do I find out if an idea I had is already patented?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Google patents. You can send me the basic info if you want. You can't patent an idea btw.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. You can patent a type of device though? This is an idea to make a very new and different type of an existing device. I am sure the existing device is not patented.

If I'm reading you correctly you're offering to access Google Patents for me?

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Spill the beans. What's the device?

After a quick Google Patents search (thanks Mord) I'm going to stay quiet. There has been some various patents in this area but I think my modifications are pretty distinct. I am going to ponder this for a bit and might actually consult a patent attorney to see if my ideas warrant a patent.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I was offering to assist in the search, but if you have a little money for it Consult an attorney. They may recommend doing a little preliminary work and ordering some drawings in order to file a provisional application whIle you determine tge claims and research prior art.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Does one need to build a prototype or will drawings and claims be enough?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spill the beans. What's the device?

Don't spill the beans. Posting something here could be used as prior art against you if it's sufficiently detailed and you wait too long to file a patent.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does one need to build a prototype or will drawings and claims be enough?

No prototype (is usually) needed.

If its a mechanical device, as I suspect it is, drawings, written description, and claims is enough to get started.

As always, get a lawyer in the field.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

and you wait too long to file a patent.

Yeah, don't be this guy

220px-Portrait_elisha_gray.jpg

Damn, I'm excited one of own could be the next Edison! :nodding: Good luck Piobear

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Heh, this is a pretty minor thing but might worth an hour with an attorney I think.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip. You can patent a type of device though? This is an idea to make a very new and different type of an existing device. I am sure the existing device is not patented.
If I'm reading you correctly you're offering to access Google Patents for me?

If your device is simply taking an existing device and rounding the corners on the device, I regret to inform you that Apple already owns the patent on that.

All kidding aside, good luck.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member