• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Did Quoddy stop using Horween CXL?

I believe they used to explicitly state that was the leather they used but now there is no reference.

I would also note that their base prices seem to have been reduced compared to a couple of years ago.

I have 4 pairs of Quoddys but haven’t bought any in a couple of years now. Would like to get more down the road but am concerned the quality may be degrading

CMT1

Reaction score
It's a good question and I noticed the same - They usually Trumpet the Horween association where applicable as with the recent olive run:

This is purely anecdotal, but I have Quoddys from 2012 to the recent Canoe Mocs purchase and I cannot see or feel any quality difference. Obviously I cannot tell the future, but my pair of blue Boat Mocs on this same Vibram sole came apart on me within a few days and had to be sent back for warranty repair, something Kirsten handled immediately, so with that super high bar set these olive Canoes are already ahead of the game.

CanoeMocsApres1-X2.jpg

"Action" pic from today, really plumbing the comfy depths of WFH slobbery.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
After 2 weeks of committed (sometimes painful, often uncomfortable) breaking in, my pair of olive canoe mocs finally started to get that glove feeling today. This was a tough break-in and there were more than a few times I had doubts they would ever get to this point - I wanted to throw in the towel and write them off. I'm glad I didn't. Trust in CXL.

7sport

Reaction score
After 2 weeks of committed (sometimes painful, often uncomfortable) breaking in, my pair of olive canoe mocs finally started to get that glove feeling today. This was a tough break-in and there were more than a few times I had doubts they would ever get to this point - I wanted to throw in the towel and write them off. I'm glad I didn't. Trust in CXL.

thats great news. I’m convinced that the lining makes a big difference with break in. I think things stretch less, and take longer to stretch with the lining. And there’s just more structure and stiffness to the shoe right out of the gate - so hotspots and pinch points hit that much harder.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
thats great news. I’m convinced that the lining makes a big difference with break in. I think things stretch less, and take longer to stretch with the lining. And there’s just more structure and stiffness to the shoe right out of the gate - so hotspots and pinch points hit that much harder.

With every CXL shoe I have, I initially went through a brief period of having doubts if I ordered the correct size or should have gone wider. With unlined CXL, I could feel them breaking in within 3-5 wears. This is my first lined CXL and I have to agree with you - it too a good week of daily indoor wear to feel a glimmer of hope. Now 2 weeks in, they're feeling pretty comfortable and getting better by the day.

jnik

Reaction score
Did Quoddy stop using Horween CXL?

I believe they used to explicitly state that was the leather they used but now there is no reference.

I would also note that their base prices seem to have been reduced compared to a couple of years ago.

I have 4 pairs of Quoddys but haven’t bought any in a couple of years now. Would like to get more down the road but am concerned the quality may be degrading
I had contacted them with this question. The response I received was to the effect that were having trouble reliably sourcing all of the variations and that some were CXL and some were other leathers. I asked about the specific one I was interested in and was told that that color was CXL. Customer service was great.

Reaction score
I have a pair of Quoddy Bluchers with camp gum sole.

The soles aren’t even close to worn down but I have to admit they aren’t very comfortable for walking. They are very thin and don’t offer much cushioning.

I’m thinking about getting thicker more firm soles. I live in Europe and sending it to US for resole costs almost as much as the shoes themselves!

Does anyone have experience resoling with a local cobbler? Am I right in saying they are Blake stitched? As long a cobbler has a Blake machine, it should be fairly straightforward to resole?

Phan84

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any stockists in NYC, MA, RI? I looked on the website but I don’t think that is the complete list

CMT1

Reaction score
Thunderdome wrap-up:

There's only one other pair of shoes that I have spent as much time in - Last year's Patina Thunderdome EasyMocs, and these Quoddys have definitely held up better to the past 7 months of constant wear.

At the end of last year's Dome, the EasyMocs were so hammered that they hurt to wear, while the Vibram sole on these olive canoe mocs is still going strong and has a lot of life left in them.

The color has evolved, but sadly the olive hue evolved right out of it within the first two months. They are now brown. They are also about the most perfect worn-to-fit insane second-skin mocs I currently own, right there with my pair of Lazy Mocs from 2016, but I'll actually leave the house in the Quoddys.

Before / after pics:

BA-1-X3.jpg

BA-3-X3.jpg

BA-2-X3.jpg

BA-4-X3.jpg

BA-5-X3.jpg

BA-6-X3.jpg

DomeFinal7-2-X3.jpg

Awesome stuff. I hope everyone is well, as always!

Commisar

Reaction score
Blucher moc vs the Canoe moc.

I like the blucher moc a lot better, fits the instep better and the suede is massively softer.

Thinking of MTO'ing a Mushroom suede blucher moc and get an off the rack Whiskey boat shoe.

If I go MTO I'm torn between the Camp sole and the comfort lug sole

Attachments

• PXL_20230519_185953290.jpg
    PXL_20230519_185953290.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20230519_184919724.jpg
    PXL_20230519_184919724.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20230519_184917159.jpg
    PXL_20230519_184917159.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230519_185848519.jpg