• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Menninki

Reaction score
Today experimenting dark brown pembrokes with white pants.

Pembroke.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a proud collector / idiot!
View attachment 1996769

Acceptance is part of the recovery process or the admission to continue on the path of insanity. I've been insane now for quite some time.
The old how many pairs subject is a little like giving fitting advice, it’s subjective and relative only to the wearer. I’m with @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes that we have too many…😂

Yes, due to my insanity I'm still buying. Sadly, it is no longer at this low price point. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

stylenwby

Reaction score
Acceptance is part of the recovery process or the admission to continue on the path of insanity. I've been insane now for quite some time.

Yes, due to my insanity I'm still buying. Sadly, it is no longer at this low price point. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You know there is an old adage. Invest in your shoes and in your sheets because if you're in not one, you're in the other.

I think you guys are just fine 👍

Camerashy

Reaction score
Yes and I experience that my 2 Pembrokes sit a touch closer on my feet than the 3 Conistons. Surely it is because their shape is more firm and predefined because of the Brogue-layers, but I would say that the leather is slightly thicker. I cannot measure it, because the shoes have a decorative, reinforcing 'lip'-line along their edges, which bulges while the boots are plain there. But I feel it and this clearly when I touch and bend the tongues, which are plain at their edges.
It's not much and you can regulate it by lacing and it's a handmade product anyway. If your Coniston fits you perfect, expect the same from the Pembroke.

Congratulations! 🌞
Having now received my Pembrokeshire I do agree with you that they fit closer to the foot than the same size in Conistons

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is no way you could fully appreciate your shoe collection if you begin just adding pairs. 10 is a great number because it ensures full usage (provided the colors and styles are versatile enough).

At 20 pairs, you are already leaving pairs idle.
This is unless you divide your pairs into seasonal wear, Fall/Winter & Spring/Summer. In which case, they are still not being used but that's a practical decision, not negligence.

Were I to quantify and classify it, I'd say the following: 4 Oxfords, 4 Loafers, 4 Derbies, 4 boots, 3 to 4 pairs of sneakers. I honestly couldn't imagine why a person would go over this number (~19 to 20).

Anything above say 30ish and you begin to become a collector involved in a hobby. Anyone with 100 pairs is just a plain idiot*

*For the record, I'm considerably above 100.
I’m well past the number where I expect my wife to stage an intervention. But I’m only at 5 pairs of oxfords and rarely wear them.

foxxyj

Reaction score
Possibly a long shot but has anyone played golf in their Conistons or Islays? Just got my first pair of each and they look so damn good, wouldn’t mind wearing them on the links..

rossyl

Reaction score
Looks like C&J recently put up their prices for resoling

£160 standard
£170 double sole.

Ouch!!

I'm having some Arden's resoled, they are black calf. Unsure if there's any upside/downside to double vs single.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STACY411