• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was able to check out and get to the very end with payment form and "place your order" button. Does the Rake simply cancel your order?
Sorry not sure about Rake but shopping directly with Edward Green store in UK they will not offer the VAT refund and instead ask to place order on Edwardgreen.com and the prices are in USD.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's like a guarantee way to have someone proxy to make some spread, though I suppose the spread is not that big for a lot people to be bothered?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An interesting point, but I don't believe the Tod's hand patinated are available in stores except at the Via Del Spigga stores in Italy.

I basically threw away $200 bucks by not switching to GBP though.....kinda hurts.
I think many of us have gone through similar experience. I had no idea about C&J mail order service until I started frequenting this thread. I overpaid for a pair of subs (seconds) on eBay, thinking that was my only chance of getting my hands on a pair of whiskey cordovan. I don't have major regret though, that pair gave me my first taste of light shell and kicked off my shell addiction.

Last edited:

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry not sure about Rake but shopping directly with Edward Green store in UK they will not offer the VAT refund and instead ask to place order on Edwardgreen.com and the prices are in USD.
Ah, ok. Fortunately there are many fine EG dealers in Europe willing to ship to US so not a huge loss. I imagine US EG dealers are not happy though. Similar to Alden not permitting US dealers to ship outside North America, EG may bar Euro dealers from shipping to North America

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is....incredibly disheartening..... Have probably wasted a lot of money paying USD.

As to an earlier point, the Rake has a specific section of the site where they proclaim "customs is your problem" essentially.

"Customs is your problem" is pretty standard across retailers when buying overseas. For that matter, the retailers which offer DDP it's a bit of a ripoff for orders under $800 since you wouldn't normally pay any duty but the prices are higher to cover the DDP aspect.

Cordovanity

Reaction score
I want a high quality budget black Chelsea with dainite. Thoughts on purchasing this and resoling at C&J or is that a waste of money? Does the upper seem in decent shape to you guys aside from the creasing or am I best off biting the bullet eventually on a more expensive pair?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is probably on 348 and D width might be narrow otherwise I think it's a great deal, not a lot mileage on it, crease is what it is. If I was able to confirm it's say 8.5E UK (instead of possible 8.5D UK) I might just have bought it myself

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this is probably on 348 and D width might be narrow otherwise I think it's a great deal, not a lot mileage on it, crease is what it is. If I was able to confirm it's say 8.5E UK (instead of possible 8.5D UK) I might just have bought it myself

Those are from Barney’s so the D is US medium but yeah, it’s a crapshoot whether they’re Uk8e or 8.5e.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are from Barney’s so the D is US medium but yeah, it’s a crapshoot whether they’re Uk8e or 8.5e.

I tried on the Barneys ones it's always runs narrow, never occur to me it might be downsized more in length too..., but any way I never bought any CJ Barneys (even when they switch to E width) because I can never get an accurate UK sizing...

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone size down a half from the 325 for the 335?
335 runs TTS for me. Half size down would be too short in my opinion. I sized down on a pair of Chelsea V and ended up listing the boots for sale almost immediately upon delivery. 325 is a better looking last IMO, 335 fits better (and looks good too)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ambrose Hutchinson