• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat or Double Breasted Coat?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob
Can you actually wear a navy peacoat with jeans? Won't it look to, for the lack of a good term, blue? If anyone has any ideas to pull this off please post pics.
the navy blue is basicly black. its blacker than some black things i have. looks perfectly fine. how much does a navy pea coat cost? i have the luxuary of living in a navy town so the thrift stores are loaded with them for 5$

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Where did you order it from (probably sterlingwear website)?
Yep.
How much did it cost?
I guess $140.
What size did you pick?
34.. normally I wear a 36
What model did you pick?
The Authentic
What can you fit underneath/what's the fit? (feel free to post pics
smile.gif
)
Usually a sweater or a shirt and tie or something. Here's a pic with a hoodie underneath:
508065fq.jpg
I'll probably order a peacoat in the next week/2 weeks (wanted a new coat for next winter, what better time to take care of that than in the middle of summer...) so if anybody has other suggestions (brand, auctions, your dead uncle who was a size 36 ship captain, etc), feel free to contribute. I seem to remember a thread about Brian's peacoat and I thought about getting one at the time but with the crash and everything....
Yea I remember that thread. I mentioned it because it quickly became one of my favorite coats. As soon as my girlfriend saw me in it she was on her knees, saying I looked so good. I had the collar popped (take notes all). I'm probably going to order a navy or black one for the next winter in size 32. It's definitely a really nice fit.. structured and just a little tapered. I like the way the 34 fits a lot. I wouldn't mind having a super-tight peacoat as well, however. Oh last thing to add: it definitely doesn't feel designer-y, but that's cool with me. I would really like to change the buttons, however. I HATE the Sterlingwear buttons (non-traditional buttons, they are black plastic and have the logo engraved on them). I really like light-horn buttons.. will probably get them put on the grey one, and go with standard black buttons for the navy one.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
J, is that peacoat you're wearing a mil issue?
Yes, from the 1950s or so.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Yep.

I guess $140.

34.. normally I wear a 36

The Authentic

Usually a sweater or a shirt and tie or something. Here's a pic with a hoodie underneath:

508065fq.jpg

Yea I remember that thread. I mentioned it because it quickly became one of my favorite coats. As soon as my girlfriend saw me in it she was on her knees, saying I looked so good. I had the collar popped (take notes all).

I'm probably going to order a navy or black one for the next winter in size 32. It's definitely a really nice fit.. structured and just a little tapered. I like the way the 34 fits a lot. I wouldn't mind having a super-tight peacoat as well, however.

Oh last thing to add: it definitely doesn't feel designer-y, but that's cool with me. I would really like to change the buttons, however. I HATE the Sterlingwear buttons (non-traditional buttons, they are black plastic and have the logo engraved on them). I really like light-horn buttons.. will probably get them put on the grey one, and go with standard black buttons for the navy one.

On the website they advise ordering one size larger (i.e. a size 36 like you and me should order a size 38, but if I understand you correctly you went for a 34 and might go for a 32? Am I getting this right?

I'm assuming you went for a "normal" lenght which means I should go for the "short" to get right lenght.

BTW Nice look, that's pretty much what I'm looking for.

Brian SD

Reaction score
On the website they advise ordering one size larger (i.e. a size 36 like you and me should order a size 38, but if I understand you correctly you went for a 34 and might go for a 32? Am I getting this right?

I'm assuming you went for a "normal" lenght which means I should go for the "short" to get right lenght.

Yea. Don't listen to their advice. Size down one for a slim fit, two for a super tight fit. I went for normal length... the sleeves on "short" are just not enough, as much as I wouldn't mind a shorter fit (not that there's anything wrong with normal).

pdavie0

Reaction score
Where did you order it from (probably sterlingwear website)?
How much did it cost?
What size did you pick?
What model did you pick?
What can you fit underneath/what's the fit? (feel free to post pics
smile.gif
)

I'll probably order a peacoat in the next week/2 weeks (wanted a new coat for next winter, what better time to take care of that than in the middle of summer...) so if anybody has other suggestions (brand, auctions, your dead uncle who was a size 36 ship captain, etc), feel free to contribute.

I seem to remember a thread about Brian's peacoat and I thought about getting one at the time but with the crash and everything....

Fuuma, I got a Sterling peacoat last winter and am thinking of letting it go since I rarely wore it. I only wore it a few times for new year in Vegas. Other than that, I never wore it here in Orange county. It's a sz 36 and has been also tailored in the waist for a more tapered waist. The job costs me 35 bucks. If you're interested, PM me your offer.
Cheers
--Dave

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdavie0
Fuuma, I got a Sterling peacoat last winter and am thinking of letting it go since I rarely wore it. I only wore it a few times for new year in Vegas. Other than that, I never wore it here in Orange county. It's a sz 36 and has been also tailored in the waist for a more tapered waist. The job costs me 35 bucks. If you're interested, PM me your offer.
Cheers
--Dave

I might have been interested but it seems a size 34S will give me a better fit...and for only $150 I doubt I should go for a better deal that doesn't satisfy me 100%, thanks for asking though. If I were you I'd post the offer in the buying/selling section...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
how much does a navy pea coat cost? i have the luxuary of living in a navy town so the thrift stores are loaded with them for 5$
....and that dude is how a decent little SF side business will start for you when the seasons change
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
....and that dude is how a decent little SF side business will start for you when the seasons change
smile.gif

No kidding. Here they are from $40 to $80 on up depending on condition. I guess that's because our naval base was decommissioned a while back. Maybe I should make a run up to Bellingham and pick up a bunch - I have a feeling there will be piles there for cheap. Hmm...

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian, I take it you got the Authentic model?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
No kidding. Here they are from $40 to $80 on up depending on condition. I guess that's because our naval base was decommissioned a while back. Maybe I should make a run up to Bellingham and pick up a bunch - I have a feeling there will be piles there for cheap. Hmm...

How about a Styleforum outerwear shop
biggrin.gif
?

Brian SD

Reaction score
BTW anybody got the grey sterlingwear, how did it look?

Mine is the grey. It's a nice color. It's a little lighter than charcoal, with a mohair-like pattern.

Edward, yes mine is the "Authentic."

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to get one of these this fall/winter. First I'll check my local milsurp though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads