• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paraboot Michael Break-In Question

krudsma

Reaction score
Well I finally went and did it. I picked up some Paraboot Michaels. I wasn't sure about the sizing so I got a 44 and 45 with a mind to return one of them, but now I'm not sure which to return. The 44 is snug and the 45 is a little loose, and I've heard that these things don't stretch much. That said, I've also heard that the French prefer to wear their shoes with no wiggle room, so for authenticity's sake maybe I should stick with the 44.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has them what the break-in period is like and if I should expect the 44s to loosen up at all, or if I should just put some tongue pads in the 45s and wear thicker socks. I've got to decide which to return within the next few days, so I'm anxious to hear your thoughts SF!

mission155

Reaction score
I wear a 10.5 US and, upon the recommendation of the store I bought them from, purchased them in size 43.5. He said the cork breaks in, and over time, they'll feel less snug. While I have found that to be true, they're still a bit close on the sides. I've really only ever worn them with regular socks. I never tried them in size 44, so I don't have that point of reference. Hope this helps!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well I finally went and did it. I picked up some Paraboot Michaels. I wasn't sure about the sizing so I got a 44 and 45 with a mind to return one of them, but now I'm not sure which to return. The 44 is snug and the 45 is a little loose, and I've heard that these things don't stretch much. That said, I've also heard that the French prefer to wear their shoes with no wiggle room, so for authenticity's sake maybe I should stick with the 44.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has them what the break-in period is like and if I should expect the 44s to loosen up at all, or if I should just put some tongue pads in the 45s and wear thicker socks. I've got to decide which to return within the next few days, so I'm anxious to hear your thoughts SF!
It is true that here we wear this tradtional model TTS. Due to the Michaels characterisics (pretty wide and rounded toe) it is recommended to wear them with almost no room for the toes (i was a bit surprised but followed the salesman advice and bought them in my usual size).
But they don't stretch much TBH. I've got a pair for more than 20 years, they are pretty indestructible. Bought them TTS and the fit was pretty snug at first but now they kind of molded to my feet.

krudsma

Reaction score
It is true that here we wear this tradtional model TTS. Due to the Michaels characterisics (pretty wide and rounded toe) it is recommended to wear them with almost no room for the toes (i was a bit surprised but followed the salesman advice and bought them in my usual size).
But they don't stretch much TBH. I've got a pair for more than 20 years, they are pretty indestructible. Bought them TTS and the fit was pretty snug at first but now they kind of molded to my feet.

Thanks, this is what I'd been curious to hear. Would you say your pair is comfortable now, or do they still feel tight? I'm fine with having with having them fit snug as long as they feel comfortable.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Is that no room for toes width wise or lengthwise?

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Did you find that they haven't become more accomodating at all in the toe department or did they stretch a bit? I usually take a UK12 but have gone for an UK11.5 and have read/ been told that with the Michael's you want your toes literally touching the ends, something which flies in the face of basically every shoe purchase ive ever made. Still haven't worn them outside! (Sadly the 12's were too big for me in this case)

What was your experience with them like?

MaE

Reaction score
It is my understanding that a shoe never (or hardly ever) will stretch lengthwise. I also own a pair of Michael's, bought in an official Paraboot store in France and the seller told me to buy them relatively snug, which I did. In the beginning, the experience wasn't the most pleasing but the leather began to stretch a bit after a few wears/walks, in particular in the toe area and I now absolutely love my pair and they are very comfortable. I also want to say that it's hard for us via the internet to tell you if you should keep them and try to break them in a bit more or if maybe the style/last/fit just isn't made for you.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collagenax