• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. For me personally I like the OFB with peak (or three piece) for the "traditional" feel/vibe whereas if I wanted a more "modern" look with a shawl, a satin stripe (I do not like grosgrain for shawls) feels better for me. Speaking of which, here is my 4x1 shawl lapel being shaped. Cloth is a cream crepe of some sort. Got it for summer but the materials thickness feels more winter for me.
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-01 at 16.40.24.jpeg

The main advantage that I can think of with regards to OFB is that it is technically neither satin nor grosgrain. As "silk braiding" (hence the origin of the term "trouser braiding" as it relates to military/formal trousers), it can be worn with both Silk Satin and Silk Grosgrain formal trimmings and accessories.

Its also appropriate for all evening formal and semi formal trousers.

me.spoke

Reaction score
Yes. For me personally I like the OFB with peak (or three piece) for the "traditional" feel/vibe whereas if I wanted a more "modern" look with a shawl, a satin stripe (I do not like grosgrain for shawls) feels better for me. Speaking of which, here is my 4x1 shawl lapel being shaped. Cloth is a cream crepe of some sort. Got it for summer but the materials thickness feels more winter for me.

Very nice! I like the fabric it seems to drape really well.

Today I had another fitting of my dinner suit, mostly to establish the lapel shape, sleeve length and total length.

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

Both lapels will be shaped like the one that shows thoroughly. They will also be slightly narrower towards the collar.

I wanted to make another question about the buttonholes - do I go for them in a shawl collar? If yes then how many - 1 or 2?

On a side note - the tailor confirmed the trouser braids are vintage, acquired in early 60s when he was still an apprentice. He says they are most likely British-made, but was not sure how old they are (although he suspects they were manufactured during the 50s at the latest).

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I like the fabric it seems to drape really well.

Today I had another fitting of my dinner suit, mostly to establish the lapel shape, sleeve length and total length.

View attachment 2123367
View attachment 2123365

Both lapels will be shaped like the one that shows thoroughly. They will also be slightly narrower towards the collar.

I wanted to make another question about the buttonholes - do I go for them in a shawl collar? If yes then how many - 1 or 2?

On a side note - the tailor confirmed the trouser braids are vintage, acquired in early 60s when he was still an apprentice. He says they are most likely British-made, but was not sure how old they are (although he suspects they were manufactured during the 50s at the latest).
Yeah I'm planning on making mine slightly more narrow in the lapel. Tailor is reshaping the lapel as we speak. Re buttonholes my preference is none for the shawl...personally as much as I like the idea of wearing a boutouniere I hardly ever wear one and if I do I'd rather do it with a peak than a shawl...a buttonhole breaks the line which is not the aesthetic I want. It's also meant to be more relaxed...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my preference is none for the shawl...personally as much as I like the idea of wearing a boutouniere I hardly ever wear one and if I do I'd rather do it with a peak than a shawl...a buttonhole breaks the line which is not the aesthetic I want. It's also meant to be more relaxed...

agree...I always find button holes on shawl lapels to look odd/distracting

tdang

Reaction score
What can I say? Kotaro don’t miss 😤

IMG_8690.jpeg

IMG_8691.jpeg

IMG_8692.jpeg

IMG_8682.jpeg

Ongoing are brown and sage in mohair/ wool. Upcoming maybe the blueish green cloth below (although the brick quasi-herringbone on top is starting to speak to me…). I haven’t decided yet, but I am leaning towards something that is not glencheck and not brown.

IMG_8701.jpeg

Bonus: tried on the single breasted jacket coat with collo bastardo. It’s a vibe.

IMG_8697.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8692.jpeg
    IMG_8692.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8709.jpeg
    IMG_8709.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8705.jpeg
    IMG_8705.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8703.jpeg
    IMG_8703.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 69

tdang

Reaction score
Looks amazing! Love the coat. Can’t wait try out his tailoring in 2026 😅😅

Btw, did he make those flannel pants in the first picture? Love the cut of those.

Thanks man! The flannels are Ambrosi RTW made on the Bryceland’s block. I ordered a size larger and just have the waist taken in. It fits thicc quads like mine a lot better than the standard Ambrosi cut or other rtw offerings for that matter, but of course bespoke is likely better still.

I think the appeal of the pants is at least 50% down to the beastly Perdassus cloth though …

WhereNext

Reaction score
Recently spent too much time perusing the books for my next order. The orange is the darker of the two in Fox’s City book and will be made into a pair of trousers. The navy blue is a cashmere/silk/linen blend that the tailor apparently did a short production of and will be made into a quarter lined Summer/Spring jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpeg
    IMG_1525.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 225

__k

Reaction score
First stop, Igarashi and MBT #1. He is a member of the shop staff and accepts orders for suits/ jackets/ etc. that he makes himself. The style is soft and lean, quite Japanese. Cloth is Anglo Italian (large scale herringbone that dissolves to a solid from distance).
Thanks for sharing this. I've been considering ordering something with this MBT but it's been impossible to find any pics of people other than the tailor himself in his work. Did you order this as a 2pc suit?

tdang

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. I've been considering ordering something with this MBT but it's been impossible to find any pics of people other than the tailor himself in his work. Did you order this as a 2pc suit?
It’s just a jacket. I like that his cut is not overly stylized, his prices and turnaround are quite good for Japanese artisans as well.

__k

Reaction score
It’s just a jacket. I like that his cut is not overly stylized, his prices and turnaround are quite good for Japanese artisans as well.
Thanks. I was also surprised by the quoted turnaround when I was talking with him last year. I'll probably start an order when I'm there later this month.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was also surprised by the quoted turnaround when I was talking with him last year. I'll probably start an order when I'm there later this month.
I may also give him a go if I make it to Japan. I’d like to find someone who can turnaround a first fitting in a few days & then do a subsequent fitting on my next trip.

I’m under the impression most can’t turnaround a first fitting on my initial trip.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What can I say? Kotaro don’t miss 😤

View attachment 2124861

View attachment 2124863

View attachment 2124871

View attachment 2124873

Ongoing are brown and sage in mohair/ wool. Upcoming maybe the blueish green cloth below (although the brick quasi-herringbone on top is starting to speak to me…). I haven’t decided yet, but I am leaning towards something that is not glencheck and not brown.

View attachment 2124881

Bonus: tried on the single breasted jacket coat with collo bastardo. It’s a vibe.

View attachment 2124883
Did you order a coat? Or can’t justify it in Vietnam?

I’m not sure about the collo bastardo. I’m not sure it’s my aesthetic. I know kotaro does a nice coat, but I think I’d rather do a polo coat with either doppio uso lapels or peak lapels.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Well, prices are going up after Spring Festival so it would be foolish to NOT order this for a quarter lined Spring/Summer sports coat now. This is from the Sunset side of the Loro Piana Cruise book. I was tempted to get this made up as a dinner jacket, but think I’ll use another pink for that some other time.
IMG_1179.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member