• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC restaurant recession specials - know of any good ones?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So guys, I'm looking for a decent list of places that have cool recession specials. Any places spring to mind?

I have more disposable income but a more exhausting schedule, so cooking on my nights off is becoming more of a hassle. I still want to eat good stuff though. Lunch or dinner recs appreciated, preferably places i'd go on the weekends.

Mr. Argyle

Reaction score
Not a recession special, but I did just go to a great place called Ivo & Lulu on Broome St (take the C or E train to Spring St). It has French-influenced cuisine with a $12-15 price range.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
49.99 prix fixe before 6:30 at Cru
Frugal Fridays at Craft
Lunch at Jean Georges
Lunch at Perry St
Picholine - Menu d’Economie (one half portion entree or three small plates for $20), Offered in the dining room Mon - Thur after 9, in the Cheese and Wine Bar every night all times

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gray's Papaya, they actually have "recession special" on their menu. Two hot dogs and a drink for $4.45. Yumm!

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in chinatown frequently, like once a week. I was lamenting to a friend earlier that chinatown cant be all the cheap good food that is available to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions! So has anyone had lunch at JG ? It's been on my to-go list for a long time due to good reviews, however I don't find myself in that area often. Maybe on a weekend or slow tuesday or something.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think right now all nyc restaurants have some sort of special deals to get you to eat out. There was a recent article in the nytimes. You may want to check it out. Its a nice read.
03note_span.600.jpg
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/di...2&pagewanted=1

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinatown is way overrated.

The real chinese food is in Flushing, accessible by the #7.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
49.99 prix fixe before 6:30 at Cru
Frugal Fridays at Craft
Lunch at Jean Georges
Lunch at Perry St
Picholine - Menu d'Economie (one half portion entree or three small plates for $20), Offered in the dining room Mon - Thur after 9, in the Cheese and Wine Bar every night all times

I read a review of the "Frugal Fridays" and it sounded like it would cost at least $50 per person for dinner, before drinks/tax/tip.

Went to Perry St. yesterday. Very good. $24 for three courses.

Originally Posted by Souper
So has anyone had lunch at JG ? It's been on my to-go list for a long time due to good reviews, however I don't find myself in that area often. Maybe on a weekend or slow tuesday or something.

Yes. It's good. Also, I think Nougatine next door is running some kind of deal. JG was fun, but after wine, coffee (something like $8), it wasn't all that cheap.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Chinatown is way overrated.

The real chinese food is in Flushing, accessible by the #7.

Speaking of #7 and Flushing... I wonder if that cheeseburger place on Main Street is still there? About a half block from the subway station on Main street..... I went there last year and had a great cheeseburger. Which reminds me... Go Mets!

edit: I just found website. This place was pretty damn good and not $$$.... http://www.joesbestburger.com/

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
Im in chinatown frequently, like once a week. I was lamenting to a friend earlier that chinatown cant be all the cheap good food that is available to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions! So has anyone had lunch at JG ? It's been on my to-go list for a long time due to good reviews, however I don't find myself in that area often. Maybe on a weekend or slow tuesday or something.

I just went yesterday for lunch. It's $28 for two courses, $14 for each additional course, $8 for dessert. It's not "cheap," but cheap for what you're paying for. You can get two entrees if you wanted to.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I read a review of the "Frugal Fridays" and it sounded like it would cost at least $50 per person for dinner, before drinks/tax/tip.

Yes, but you have Damon Wise preparing these dishes for you. And a dinner at Craft normally costs $100+

Originally Posted by chorse123
JG was fun, but after wine, coffee (something like $8), it wasn't all that cheap.

Coffee is $3.50 there.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members