• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back to Ivy League matters.

Charles Hamblett and Jane Deverson researched for their book Generation X between January 1963 and June 1964, and it was published in November 1964. The following anonymous extract, from page 20 of the book, purports to be the words of a youngster from that period. I first read this back in the mid-60s and this was the first mention that I can recall of ‘Ivy League’ applied to British youth.

«What about me. I dig Mod clothes but I don’t wear them. I like the Beatles but I don’t rave over them. I listen to Blue Beat music but don’t dance the Blue Beat way. I wear my hair long and sometimes use hair lacquer, but I don’t sport a Blue Beat hat. I dig everything a Mod raves over but I don’t hunt with a Mod pack. Recently I asked a typical Mod boy what title I should come under. Sizing me up he said, “You’re not one of those in-between Mods and Rockers called the Mids. There’s an Ivy League style about your suits and your appearance differs from the Mid. I would put you under the title of – a Stylist.”»

Attachments

• generation-x-1965-book-5d8b75b6-4569-45ff-8d86-adc53a171e6-resize-750.jpeg
    generation-x-1965-book-5d8b75b6-4569-45ff-8d86-adc53a171e6-resize-750.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 66

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charles Hamblett and Jane Deverson researched for their book Generation X between January 1963 and June 1964, and it was published in November 1964. The following anonymous extract, from page 20 of the book, purports to be the words of a youngster from that period. I first read this back in the mid-60s and this was the first mention that I can recall of ‘Ivy League’ applied to British youth.

«What about me. I dig Mod clothes but I don’t wear them. I like the Beatles but I don’t rave over them. I listen to Blue Beat music but don’t dance the Blue Beat way. I wear my hair long and sometimes use hair lacquer, but I don’t sport a Blue Beat hat. I dig everything a Mod raves over but I don’t hunt with a Mod pack. Recently I asked a typical Mod boy what title I should come under. Sizing me up he said, “You’re not one of those in-between Mods and Rockers called the Mids. There’s an Ivy League style about your suits and your appearance differs from the Mid. I would put you under the title of – a Stylist.”»

That’s a pretty cool excerpt.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stüssy/Levi collab. Verdict?

Attachments

• stussylevi1.jpg
    stussylevi1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 42
  • stussylevi2.jpg
    stussylevi2.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 44
  • stussylevi3.jpg
    stussylevi3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 51
  • stussylevi4.jpg
    stussylevi4.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 104

Inkss

Reaction score

Threw together the recent purchases for a sort of autumnal-Ivy
(PC longwings, Munrospun tie, BB cords, Fisk coat)
jiu.jpg

DavidWatts69

Reaction score
This Thursday at 10 AM EST, and if you don't mind a French speaking host, starts my college radio show centered around the history of British subcultures. My first episode will be about 60s mods, then we'll go on until christmas, ending with Britpop for the last episode!

you can listen to it on www.chyz.ca
Expect some very short talking and a lot of music

vim147

Reaction score
Does anyone own or tried on a Relco or Merc Harrington ?
How does it fit compared to a Barrcuta G9 ? Does it fit like a army surplus combat roomier fit ?

My normal sizing is medium but for a "combat" Harrington from Ben Nevis I wear small and a Barrcuta G9 a size 40".

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New podcast dropped! Kate and I were messaging each other during this morning's broadcast, and we realised with a shock that we're more than half way through this semester, and it's less than a month until the Christmas show! During the Crimbo break I'll be putting together some "home studio" stuff for MixCloud. Anyhow, here's today's shpeel and link.

"Twelve great tracks selected by Soul Shack presenter Kate Mowbray. Listen right to the end to hear from Lamont Dozier, the Isley Brothers, James Brown, Otis Redding, Gil Scott-Heron, and more!"

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own or tried on a Relco or Merc Harrington ?
How does it fit compared to a Barrcuta G9 ? Does it fit like a army surplus combat roomier fit ?

My normal sizing is medium but for a "combat" Harrington from Ben Nevis I wear small and a Barrcuta G9 a size 40".

I had a Merc Harrington about 26-27 years ago, I wore a size Medium then, as I would now if I still had it(I’m 5’10”, 175 lbs/12.5 st), and tried on a Relco but honestly forget how it fit, but I didn’t get it, for what it’s worth. Also, are you talking newer or vintage Baracutas? They fit differently.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thejazzcat