• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Skin Care

funk_soul_brother

Reaction score
^^ And you would be quite right in your belief, LabelKing. I usually quite like Meisel, and that in particular was one of my favourite editorials he's done. I love androgyny (now, if only i could spell the bloody word)
wink.gif

J-Shock

Reaction score
I have used a bunch of them.

St-Ives is pretty good, not the best. Biotherm is terrible for my skin type. Shiseido is over-priced and wasnt as effective as it should. I felt that my skin was dirty and the facial cleanser and the moisturizer made my face break-out which never happens. Lab Series is pretty good for my skin type, but it still wasnt the best.

In the last two weeks, i have switched to Anthony Logistics. I personally think it is amazing. From the body wash that smells like mint (great for the morning wake-up shower) to the facial scrub to the moisturizer. Great stuff all around.

I also use Kiehls Facial Fuel Mosturizer which is amazing. The sensation you get when you apply is like a being under an ice cold waterfall but without the discomfort.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by funk_soul_brother
^^ And you would be quite right in your belief, LabelKing. I usually quite like Meisel, and that in particular was one of my favourite editorials he's done. I love androgyny (now, if only i could spell the bloody word)
wink.gif

Yes, androgyny is a very compelling aesthetic; Helmut Newton, and Nan Goldin are quite good for that.

capnpyro

Reaction score
well, i am a total product whore when it comes to skincare. my bathroom is filled with face washes/toners/exfoliators/moisturizers/masks/serums/etc etc etc. all my friends think i'm insane, but my argument is that my skin is my first impression to the world. its my largest organ and its the one that is exposed to all the *********** air and the sun and everything else. i don't wanna be looking like i'm 50 when i'm 50, savvy? ... Oily (large pores, face gets shiny and oily very soon after washing) ... hope i've helped!
smile.gif

You understand me! It's ridiculous, after I wash my face if I don't tone/moisturize I last about an hour before I'm oily then it just goes quicker throughout the day if I wipe it off/wash my face. If I use toner/moisturize I can make it almost to lunch before I'm a shiny, shiny, greasy monster. Is there anything you suggest for very oily skin, something like a super toner that closes pores to microscopic proportions and a matting face lotion that absorbs oil or something of the like? Price doesn't matter if it'd be possible for me it make it an entire day without wiping/washing my face.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you have very oily skin, you need to use an astringent

toners are designed to restore the skin's pH level post exfoliation and/or to remove residue from other products post use, it's not an effective means of reducing sebum from your skin

use astringent sparingly though, too much and you'll over dry your skin causing your skin to go into overdrive and produce even more sebum

there are combination toner/astringents on the market as well that can be effective

pore size is genetically determined and short of plastic surgery, there is no way to permanently reduce the size of your pores

if your skin is very oily, you may not even need a moisturizer, or at least switch to an oil-free moisturizer designed for oily skin

you should also use a clay based mask once a week, it will help long term with deep cleaning our your pores and reduce buildup of sebum that can lead to blackheads, which a lot of large pored oily skinned guys suffer from

cmrocks

Reaction score
I've been using mostly Aveda stuff lately. I have face wash, body wash, face scrub, toner and moisturizer. It seems to be doing the job well. My skin has stayed very clear and it seems much softer/smoother than before I started using the products.

Associate

Reaction score
Kiehl's ----- trust me, not only their shaving products are great. nearly everything you buy from them is top quality. they're truly perfected the easy, no fuss, fantastic skin formula. i swear by the Foaming Non-Detergent Washable Cleanser -- it's for combination or oily skin (i have combination) and its perfectly gentle enough that it doesn't dry the non-oily parts of my face, but its great at keeping the oil in check as well. helps even skin tone, too. Plus, their Facial Fuel Energizing Moisturizer is superb. it's very light and you can put on as much as you want without worrying about clogging your pores. but, i'm in a very humid climate, so i typically avoid the oily areas on my face with the moisturizer.

Not to burst the Kiehl's bubble, but their shaving products sometimes contain irritants such as camphor and menthol - not really recommneded for your face. The foaming 'non-detergent' cleanser actually contains a very simple standard detergent that is used in shamppos and hand soaps and generaly not recommended for facial skin.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I picked up some Barber Brigade products recently from Target. I'm no expert in this area but I like the stuff. Cheap as well.

kapay

Reaction score
From what I've learned from shaving, it's optimal to shave after a warm/hot shower to open up your pores. However, on a day that's already hot, would room temperature water still work? I find it hard to have to take warm showers because lately weather has been reaching 100+ degrees in some areas.

Also, a lot of skin care products boast oil control so would a regular regimen of face wash, toner/astringent, exfoliant/mask, and moisturizer actually prevent future breakouts? Granted everything is done correctly such as using the right product for the right skin type.

funk_soul_brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Associate
Not to burst the Kiehl's bubble, but their shaving products sometimes contain irritants such as camphor and menthol - not really recommneded for your face. The foaming 'non-detergent' cleanser actually contains a very simple standard detergent that is used in shamppos and hand soaps and generaly not recommended for facial skin.
I don't enjoy the "cooling effect" of menthol, so the Kiehl's shaving cream I use does NOT contain neither menthol nor camphor (at least judging by their absence on the ingredients list). And I am not entirely sure how an international product which is actually NAMED Non-Detergent Washable Cleanser could contain a detergent. I have to think that you are somehow mistaken. Besides, I can't find a detergent listed in the ingredients.
Originally Posted by kapay
From what I've learned from shaving, it's optimal to shave after a warm/hot shower to open up your pores. However, on a day that's already hot, would room temperature water still work? I find it hard to have to take warm showers because lately weather has been reaching 100+ degrees in some areas. Also, a lot of skin care products boast oil control so would a regular regimen of face wash, toner/astringent, exfoliant/mask, and moisturizer actually prevent future breakouts? Granted everything is done correctly such as using the right product for the right skin type.
The post-shower shave certainly helps. The steam in the bathroom will help open your pores and can make the shave smoother. However, if your skin is oily, you should NOT be taking hot showers as they tend to aggravate oily skin. And yes, at least hypothetically, following a regular regimen of oil controlling products should certainly help to clear up and/or prevent further breakouts. But sometimes, it's just genes.
confused.gif

bobbyd

Reaction score
Kiehl's ----- trust me, not only their shaving products are great. nearly everything you buy from them is top quality. they're truly perfected the easy, no fuss, fantastic skin formula. i swear by the Foaming Non-Detergent Washable Cleanser -- it's for combination or oily skin (i have combination) and its perfectly gentle enough that it doesn't dry the non-oily parts of my face, but its great at keeping the oil in check as well. helps even skin tone, too. Plus, their Facial Fuel Energizing Moisturizer is superb. it's very light and you can put on as much as you want without worrying about clogging your pores. but, i'm in a very humid climate, so i typically avoid the oily areas on my face with the moisturizer.

I've heard alot of good things about Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Moisturizer, but I also a) live in a very humid climate and b) have oily/combination skin. Given that, would it be counter-productive for me to use this product? I don't want to utilize a "great" product if it is going to cause breakouts or otherwise not be effective.

Associate

Reaction score
And I am not entirely sure how an international product which is actually NAMED Non-Detergent Washable Cleanser could contain a detergent. I have to think that you are somehow mistaken. Besides, I can't find a detergent listed in the ingredients.

I believe it contains sodium c14, a common surfactant/cleansing agent. I can't comment on why they chose to name it "non-detergent".

Other than that, Kiehl's products (as almost all "premium" cosmetic procuds) are exceedingly ordinary, but command very high prices for some reaosn.

funk_soul_brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobbyd
I've heard alot of good things about Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Moisturizer, but I also a) live in a very humid climate and b) have oily/combination skin. Given that, would it be counter-productive for me to use this product? I don't want to utilize a "great" product if it is going to cause breakouts or otherwise not be effective.

I'm living in Seoul, in South Korea. It's extremely humid here and my skin is also combination. This is a great moisturizer for me here in this climate. Perhaps you should give it a whirl and see how it does!

Originally Posted by Associate
I believe it contains sodium c14, a common surfactant/cleansing agent. I can't comment on why they chose to name it "non-detergent".

Well, it seems you are correct. It certainly does contain Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. However, small amounts of this ingredient aren't irritating unless a person has very dry skin. This particular facewash is specifically "for a combination or oily skin type" so I trust that it is fine for me.

That being said, I think your knowledge on the different ingredients of skincare products would be extremely beneficial to all of us who are interested in the contents of this thread! You should post more!
smile.gif

Associate

Reaction score
Well, it seems you are correct. It certainly does contain Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. However, small amounts of this ingredient aren't irritating unless a person has very dry skin. This particular facewash is specifically "for a combination or oily skin type" so I trust that it is fine for me.

That being said, I think your knowledge on the different ingredients of skincare products would be extremely beneficial to all of us who are interested in the contents of this thread! You should post more!
smile.gif

Thanks
blush.gif
but, being a lawyer by trade, I am hardly an expert.

The product will certainly not harm you, except maybe in the pocket area. It's just not very different than using a mild shampoo for washing you face (which is not a terrible idea, BTW).

This information is available to all on the Internet. My interest sparked when a female friend and I had an argument about the merits and hype of cosmetic products. There a several websites that rate products based on indredients. I myself am not imune to the lure of nice packages, natural ingredients and general hype, but it's good to take a reality check every once in a a while.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm admittedly uninformed, but I think Kielhs does a pretty good job with their line. Most of their products have no fragrance, and are not tested on animals. Further, at least they give you the option of using a shavecream that contains no menthol. Some people enjoy the cooling sensation, so I can see why they'd incorporate a shave cream that contained it, but I'm very thankful for the option to use the plain stuff. On the whole, I think their line is pretty no-frills. And I consider their prices very reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christine Burns