• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
The real problem is that nobody knows how the boots will crease. For starters, a whole-cut design tends to crease much more than a cap-toe/brogue pattern as the leather is stretched to form the last. There are not many shell Chelsea boots available and I am inclined to believe that the way the creases will develop might not look the best, if creases are your concern.

I found this one on Buy/Sell, and gave me an idea on how the creases could develop. I have to clarify, this is from another vendor/unknown tannery so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

If those Meermin heritage shell come out like this, I'll be so happy. I believe Ron @ Rider mostly used Horween.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten shipping confirmation for the last custom boot event?

I was told my pair would ship out the July 6th and I emailed Meermin a few days ago in hopes of adding a belt to my order, but no response.

rdugz

Reaction score
The real problem is that nobody knows how the boots will crease. For starters, a whole-cut design tends to crease much more than a cap-toe/brogue pattern as the leather is stretched to form the last. There are not many shell Chelsea boots available.

I found this one on Buy/Sell, and gave me an idea on how the creases could develop. I have to clarify, this is from another vendor/unknown tannery so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Looks like Rider Boots still makes a horsefront leather boot - any idea how that would compare to these shell Meermins? Fairly similar price point..

Usonian

Reaction score
No helpful input to the shell convo, BUT, I can happily contribute that my unlined suede wholecut loafers are stretching out nicely. Wore them all day thursday to work (sockless) and aside from a littttttle toe tightness and a need for a bandaid at the heel, they were quite comfy. So yeah, i don't know, do with that what you will. unlined suede stretches out nicely.

I also did let them sit for a couple days on shoe trees with a couple super thick pairs of socks, so that probably helped.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten shipping confirmation for the last custom boot event?

I was told my pair would ship out the July 6th and I emailed Meermin a few days ago in hopes of adding a belt to my order, but no response.

No shipping details or status update for me. I messaged @Meermin on Instagram 3 weeks ago, no reply. At least you got a reply!

Thanks for the update ;) .

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the rain/snow is just gonna get in through the goring, no?
My Herring KIRKDALE by Cheaney, rubber-soled Chelsea boots made with Veldtschoen construction to offer a highly water-resistant footwear. This kind of boots works very well under wet conditions.

77b899dd-b70b-4732-ad74-a715bc5a7817-jpeg.1562618

zanci

Reaction score
Still on the fence for the Chelsea MTO. What would you guys say, is it overall worth it or just not?
I would skip due to not knowing which tannery (maybe lower quality shell) comes from. I haven't read all the pages here, but I would skip shell if its not Horween or japanese (shinki). I have some rocado shell, but I think it's inferiror (not that shiny and if you have bad luck veeeery dry). Of course, there probably are some more expensive options of shell that I am not familiar with, but when we are talking about the starting price point, I would add some extra €€€ and go for those I mentioned.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I would not invest in anything made from shell unless you were dead set on it.
I would skip due to not knowing which tannery (maybe lower quality shell) comes from. I haven't read all the pages here, but I would skip shell if its not Horween or japanese (shinki). I have some rocado shell, but I think it's inferiror (not that shiny and if you have bad luck veeeery dry). Of course, there probably are some more expensive options of shell that I am not familiar with, but when we are talking about the starting price point, I would add some extra €€€ and go for those I mentioned.
Looks like I am holding out for a pair of Brown CXL Chukka's whenever they appear in the GMTO again. For now, I'll buy myself a cordovan watch strap for my SARB035 ?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I would not invest in anything made from shell unless you were dead set on it.

Some people simply don't get the appeal of shell, which is absolutely fine.

Other people love shell and collect multiple pairs of shell shoes and boots in multiple styles (and even in the same styles!).

I would skip due to not knowing which tannery (maybe lower quality shell) comes from. I haven't read all the pages here, but I would skip shell if its not Horween or japanese (shinki). I have some rocado shell, but I think it's inferiror (not that shiny and if you have bad luck veeeery dry).

I only have one pair of boots in Rocado, but I prefer it to Shinki. For me, Shinki is too similar to Alden shell - it's as though it's been coated with a shiny layer - whereas the Rocado reminds me more of Horween shell boots from Carmina.

I prefer to apply cordovan cream to the Rocado shell and give it a good buff so that it develops a nice, deep glow over time.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads