• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martin Greenfield Clothiers VS. Alan David Custom

FlowSense84

Reaction score
All SF Contributors, I am seeking anyone's experiences with both Martin Greenfield and Alan David Custom, particularly those that have custom suits from both.

Questions:
  • If you have suits from both, do you have a preference and why?
  • If only a suit from one and not the other, do you think there is a strong reason to order or not order from vendor (MG or AD).

Scenario:

• Wedding Suit for End of May
  • Proposed Suit Description:
    • Jacket - 2 button (low stance), navy, slightly roped shoulder, peak lapel with clean chest, high armholes.
    • Pants - 2 pairs, one with side tabs
  • Budget: $2000 for all above

I did an initial visit to both Martin Greenfield and Alan David to look at fabrics.
  • Martin Greenfield:
    • No basted fitting, when I asked it almost offended them.
    • $1500 for fabric I'm interested in + $400 for extra pair of paints.
    • Very low sales pressure, which speaks to their confidence I suppose.
    • Tried on someone else's jacket and it was a light as a feather; beautiful.
  • Alan David:
    • Better "sales service". From what I understand a basted fitting is part of the process.
    • $1595 for fabric I'm interested in + $595 for extra pair of pants. They could maybe knock off $100 or so as first time discount.
    • Also tried on a jacket for someone else, similar feel though notice the indent of the roped shoulder was a bit uneven on one side.
  • Manolo Costa: Suits start at about $2500. Too much for me, but he has a sense of style.

Looking to pull the trigger by this weekend. Thank you all!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you intend to have a long lasting relationship with your tailor the rapport between you is important. I rather suspect that these businesses are not specifically bespoke tailors and in that case you are at the mercy of salesmen.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style in a garment and customer service are so important in custom clothing, with your budget it's not a bad idea necessarily to put that money into an excellent OTR suit in a sale. The benefits of this are ease of purchase and you know what you are getting, you can look in the mirror and see if it fits you. I have seen things like Alexander Mcqueen and Brioni suits being sold for obviously much less than cost.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I met Martin Greenfield probably 15+ years ago when he was doing a trunk show
at Nieman Marcus Palo Alto. A very charming man. He was measuring Nieman
clients for their Nieman Marcus/ Greenfield program which was based on Nieman
models. When he saw the Chipp jacket I was wearing he said that he would not be
able to do such a cut through Nieman Marcus, but that I should look into the
Brooks Bros./ Martin Greenfield option. I never did. I had a bad experience
with Brooks MTM years before in Chicago and did not have the confidence
that BB, already in decline, would not screw up the order as they had before.

KeepItClassy760

Reaction score
All SF Contributors, I am seeking anyone's experiences with both Martin Greenfield and Alan David Custom, particularly those that have custom suits from both.

Questions:
  • If you have suits from both, do you have a preference and why?
  • If only a suit from one and not the other, do you think there is a strong reason to order or not order from vendor (MG or AD).

Scenario:

• Wedding Suit for End of May
  • Proposed Suit Description:
    • Jacket - 2 button (low stance), navy, slightly roped shoulder, peak lapel with clean chest, high armholes.
    • Pants - 2 pairs, one with side tabs
  • Budget: $2000 for all above

I did an initial visit to both Martin Greenfield and Alan David to look at fabrics.
  • Martin Greenfield:
    • No basted fitting, when I asked it almost offended them.
    • $1500 for fabric I'm interested in + $400 for extra pair of paints.
    • Very low sales pressure, which speaks to their confidence I suppose.
    • Tried on someone else's jacket and it was a light as a feather; beautiful.
  • Alan David:
    • Better "sales service". From what I understand a basted fitting is part of the process.
    • $1595 for fabric I'm interested in + $595 for extra pair of pants. They could maybe knock off $100 or so as first time discount.
    • Also tried on a jacket for someone else, similar feel though notice the indent of the roped shoulder was a bit uneven on one side.
  • Manolo Costa: Suits start at about $2500. Too much for me, but he has a sense of style.

Looking to pull the trigger by this weekend. Thank you all!
Old thread I know. But I am also conflicted about the 2. What did you end up going with?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrCrlhm