• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ramze

Reaction score
Hi all. I am going to a wedding this weekend and will be wearing a light grey suit, white spread collar shirt, white pocket square and a solid navy silk tie. I can't decide whether to wear plain black oxfords or a caramel colored wing tip. Also, any recommendations on what color/pattern sock I should go with? I was looking for something with color but I have no idea. Thanks in advance!

minervau

Reaction score
I'd advise the caramel wingtips (more interesting than black when paired with a light gray suit), and maybe bright blue socks with some pop to them. It'd be a distant cousin in color to the navy but would have more burst, like these.

ramze

Reaction score
Thanks! I have been leaning towards the caramel wingtips. I like to sock color too. Thanks again

themodestman

Reaction score
If you wear light blue socks, might want to try to match that pocket square with them, rather than just making it the color of the shirt. Sounds like a nice getup though!

antikantian

Reaction score
I was recently at a wedding and wore pretty much the same combo, save for a navy tie with white polka dots. Maybe it wasn't the best choice, but I wore a pair of dark oak double monks. It was a morning wedding in West Palm Beach, and it was more on the casual side. Maybe for an evening wedding I would have gone with black shoes. I thought about bright socks, but it was an orthodox Jewish ceremony, so I decided to go more conservative. I didn't want to offend the groom's sensibilities, even though he was my best man at my wedding, at which he gave the most humiliating and inappropriate speech ever - my friends are still talking about it to this day :censored:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The time was long overdue for a "What sock do I wear with a solid gray suit thread" on Styleforum.

I'm hopeful that this issue can be explored in depth over the next few pages.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The time was long overdue for a "What sock do I wear with a solid gray suit thread" on Styleforum.
I'm hopeful that this issue can be explored in depth over the next few pages.

I would like to bring to your attention that we have solved the "What sock do I wear with a navy striped suit" question.

post_shoes-39.jpg

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn the exact outfit you describe to a summer wedding with walnut AE Strands and light grey socks to match the suit. I didn't feel like I was drawing too much attention, mainly because aside from the shoes, everything else was fairly conservative. I know black shoes with a light grey suit is perfectly fine and maybe preferable for others, but to me, light grey works better with light to medium brown -- perhaps burgundy too, though I haven't tried this yet -- shoes. Either will work, so you just have to decide, for the occasion, where you want to be on the spectrum from black oxfords and light grey socks (most conservative), to either the black oxfords and colorful socks or the caramel wingtips and light grey socks, and finally the caramel wingtips and colorful socks (least conservative).

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn the exact outfit you describe to a summer wedding with walnut AE Strands and light grey socks to match the suit. I didn't feel like I was drawing too much attention, mainly because aside from the shoes, everything else was fairly conservative. I know black shoes with a light grey suit is perfectly fine and maybe preferable for others, but to me, light grey works better with light to medium brown -- perhaps burgundy too, though I haven't tried this yet -- shoes. Either will work, so you just have to decide, for the occasion, where you want to be on the spectrum from black oxfords and light grey socks (most conservative), to either the black oxfords and colorful socks or the caramel wingtips and light grey socks, and finally the caramel wingtips and colorful socks (least conservative).
I have worn light grey with both Walnut and Merlot color shoes, and they look great. The look, however, is a bit flashier and less conservative than black. I would rank the Merlot somewhere between black and walnut in terms of the level of flashiness.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have worn light grey with both Walnut and Merlot color shoes, and they look great. The look, however, is a bit flashier and less conservative than black. I would rank the Merlot somewhere between black and walnut in terms of the level of flashiness.

That sounds about right to me, assuming we're comparing the same style of shoe across colors.

ramze

Reaction score
Thanks All! I think I am going to go with the walnut wingtips. I just can't decide on socks. Do you think the striped blue/navy/grey socks in the top of the 2nd picture would work or is there too much going on? I tried to include my tie and pants in the picture. I am new to SF so take it easy on me too

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member