• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is top level RTW GYW shoes worth it?

knightfox

Reaction score
Gents, after knowing leather grade has nothing to do with leather quality, I'm curious to understand what makes top level RTW shoes worth it. Meermin sources its leather from top tannery in France where other top level shoemakers source it. Meermin uses all leather linings, midsole, outsole and GYW construction. Same with Crockett & Jones which uses all leather linings, midsole, outsole and GYW. If for example Meermin and Crockett & Jones uses leather from same tannery, insole,midsole,outsole and GYW construction same for both, then what makes Crockett & Jones the top level shoemaker and Meermin entry-level? I read in one of the thread that, Crockett & Jones makes 1-2 shoes from a hide while Meermin could make 6-8 shoes from same hide. What makes it worth 3x or more?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
That depends. Why do you want them?

C&J uses better leathers than Meermin, generally, even if they are from the same tanneries. Are the leathers 3-4x better? That question doesn't make any sense.
C&J uses better construction than Meermin. Is the construction 3-4x better? Is the QC 3-4x better? Are the soles 3-4x better? These are incoherent questions.

Will C&J shoes last 3-4x longer between resoles? No, probably not. Depends on the soles you pick and *exactly* how well the shoes fit your feet and your gait and a hundred other intangibles. Same goes for comfort, and a bunch of other stuff. Try them both on. I can't tell you which you like more, or by how much.

Do you think C&Js are prettier? Are you looking at their oxfords, their loafers? Which last is your favorite? Obviously, C&J can do some things by hand that Meermin generally doesn't do. Are C&J's waists prettier to you? Pick two pairs to compare, instead of comparing brands. Would you rather have an ugly shoe forever or a beautiful shoe for a decade?

I've generally heard it said that diminishing returns kick in right above the Carmina tier, but C&J is also considered a good value at its price tier. But there's no accounting ffor taste or comfort.

Style counts for more than these abstract conceptions of quality, never try to min/max clothing on "quality," but yeah, C&J makes better shoes.

How wealthy are you? If you're warren buffet, stop wasting so much time thinking and just buy Edward Greens or whatever. If you're living hand to mouth, but you want nice shoes, go thrifting. Everywhere in between, it's up to you to figure out what you can afford, and what a vaguely "nicer" or "better" shoe is worth to you.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gents, after knowing leather grade has nothing to do with leather quality, I'm curious to understand what makes top level RTW shoes worth it. Meermin sources its leather from top tannery in France where other top level shoemakers source it. Meermin uses all leather linings, midsole, outsole and GYW construction. Same with Crockett & Jones which uses all leather linings, midsole, outsole and GYW. If for example Meermin and Crockett & Jones uses leather from same tannery, insole,midsole,outsole and GYW construction same for both, then what makes Crockett & Jones the top level shoemaker and Meermin entry-level? I read in one of the thread that, Crockett & Jones makes 1-2 shoes from a hide while Meermin could make 6-8 shoes from same hide. What makes it worth 3x or more?

"Top tannery" is like saying "E. Zegna tessuti (fabric)"

Factories can make many, many, many different levels of make for different price points. There is probably some Zegna factory that has had $35/m worsteds leave the same shipping bay door the same week as $300/m cashmere.

You have no idea if Meermin is truly using the same factories, and if so, buying at the same grades. And even if they are buying the same grades, are they trying to get more product out of the same number of skins?

Go handle Meermin and C&J and see if they are really the same - I have been in a Meermin shop a number of years ago, they had an upper tier line that was distinctly nicer than their standard stuff at the time.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos