• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Kiwi Parade Gloss bad for shoes?

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I was told years ago that you can only (mechanically) re-last shoes about 3 times due to the deterioration of the leather at the 'stress points' He said the stresses induced by the lasting machine can cause the shoes to split/tear at these points and you'll only find out when you attempt the operation. So, it isn't worth the risk. This was on the original equipment used to make the shoe.

He proposed an alternative method of repair as I recall.

Handmade/hand lasted shoes may be different of course.

Rubbish. A quality (RTW) pair of shoes should last for a minimum of ten years, give or take. In that time they'll be re-heeled perhaps once a year, and re-soled every two years. Rubber-soled shoes will, of course, need to be repaired less frequently. I've seen shoes aged 20 years + and still going strong. I've seen a few that were 40 years old. I recall seeing a pair of C&J black Oxfords that the owner bought in 1968!

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance
Rubbish. A quality (RTW) pair of shoes should last for a minimum of ten years, give or take. In that time they'll be re-heeled perhaps once a year, and re-soled every two years. Rubber-soled shoes will, of course, need to be repaired less frequently. I've seen shoes aged 20 years + and still going strong. I've seen a few that were 40 years old. I recall seeing a pair of C&J black Oxfords that the owner bought in 1968!
That's what I was told. He had no reason to lie. You are aware that shoes will wear differently on different feet?

J.P. Myhre

Reaction score
Guys,
Calm down Gentlemen, there is a lot of misunderstanding here.
Who says it is silicon in the Kiwi at all? Mink Oil has silicon in it. Anyone can try to treat their boots with that stuff and I guarantee you that you will never get a shine – at all. The principle behind polishing and waxes are; the higher wax content the higher shine. Normally, Carnaubau wax, or Palm wax is the best known raw material in this setting. All known polishes like this hardly penetrates the surface of the leather and that with a reason. The purpose is to polish the surface of the leather. When the shoes are ready, there should not be any surplus cream left – at all. That is the true meaning of polishing. Hard Car polish is probably the best for this purpose, try it and you will see!
Until next time

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Everything is true except for the "mink oil has silicon" part

May be JP should said Kiwi Mink oil has silicon in it.

I think people got mix up, resole didn't need relast! rewelting need it, IIRC.
you can put the last in the shoe when you resole, but it is not relast.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Handmade/hand lasted shoes may be different of course.
yep, that was on my mind...

Robokop

Reaction score
This is a load of tosh.

I have a pair of four year-old Paul Smith oxfords I wear the hell out of and polish monthly with black Kiwi Parade Gloss. No cracks or damage and I constantly get complimented on their condition.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
facepalm.gif
Avocat, hopefully you still feel welcome here. On a recent podcast at ASW about shoe polishing, http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...shoe-care.html , the professional shoe-polisher interviewed recommended using high-quality polishes rather than cheap ones, and also hit on the cream v. wax issue too. Certainly worth a listen.

Thank you, Doc: you are most kind, and much appreciate the link, as well as the many varied opinions and experience herein; indeed, silicon is death (outdoor gear aside), among other great points (no, definitely don't want to clog my shoe arteries ... cracked me up (among some other clever comments here), thanks everyone. As to smell, must be used to it since it doesn't bother me much, but the rest of my household don't like it so much (could be the fact I enjoy a good military style shine myself from time to time, the old fashioned way, layering/small circles ... otherwise, not difficult/time-consuming at all, agreed ). Some makers are advising against KIWI, however, and whole reason for my question! That podcast sounds excellent, among other recommendations re: alternatives here: thanks so much.

Old Cowboy

Reaction score
I have used it over a year, on boots and shoes alike, no bad results. Perhaps you need to use saddle soap between shines.

Hultkrantz

Reaction score
I would like to see some actual data on that silicone is bad for leather and not just from personal anecdotes. I have learnt (from a chemists working with leather) that silicone and leather is a great combination since it, among others, improves scratch, scuff and abrasion resistance. It also increases flexibility of the leather at low temperatures, preventing the leather from forming cracks. Does the pros outweight the cons or does it not?

Well honestly I dont know since I am not a chemist. But have any one of you seen a study or test where this is actually tested?

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also uses Kiwi parade gloss for my light tan Edward Green Dover. I don't see any bad results (after 6 months). However, Some shoe cream occasionally will help the leather to stay, as for any high quality polish.

BenElliott

Reaction score
Taken directly from the "Kiwi" web site...

KIWI Parade Gloss gives shoes and brilliant, durable shine. That's because its superior multi-wax blend contains premium wax and more carnauba wax than regular paste polishes. The result - a brighter, longer lasting shine that's water repellent. Covers scuffs and leaves a mirror finish in minimal time.

No mention of Silicone just waxes. I've used it for years. I try to take pride in my shoes. I too have had many compliments about my appearance due to the look of my shoes. As to life being too short, I clean my shoes as well as my wife's in 30 minutes every Sunday morning. Job done.

sebflynn

Reaction score
Resurrection is my hobby.
There are two versions of parade gloss normal and prestige, prestige has no silicon normal does.

GrandmasterN

Reaction score
Being from the Royal Danish Lifeguards, we use kiwi on all parade leather gear. Boots, sword sheath and ammunition bag. The gear except for the boots are often more than a decade old and Kiwi parade gloss is the only thing used to polish and care for the leather. It protects and cares for the gear perfectly, as well as keep it a pitch black color. I use it on all my business shoes and they are all more that 5 years old. Its not at all damaging or hurting the leather at all.

I recommend using it!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member